Overheating?

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
panamaniac
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1993 Intruder 800

Overheating?

Post by panamaniac »

Hi all,

I'm trying to determine if my bike is overheating. Hoping to go for a long ride *tomorrow* so any advice today is greatly appreciated. Here's my data:

Temp Light: My '93 800 has a temp light that's been acting up for a year or so, I think. I believe this is the case because sometimes, even after sitting for hours or days, the temp light comes on when I start it up. That's sufficient right there to know something is wrong, right? Or could sitting in 100-degree weather do that?

Fan: The fan will come on, but doesn't seem to have a pattern for when relative to the temp light. But if the temp light is faulty that would explain the lack of pattern....

Oil: Just changed the oil. Forgot to change it hot, so it could still have some old stuff (2 years and probably 2k miles) in there. I removed the screen and let it drain out too, but didn't change the oil filter (Which is also probably 2 years old and 2k miles). Admittedly, the oil in the view glass doesn't look super new, so maybe a second oil change is in order? Also it's a bit low (but still above the lower line when the engine is hot). FYI I'm using this, I think: http://www.walmart.com/ip/42299972?wmls ... 3=&veh=sem

Heat: Yeah, so the bike just FEELS like it runs hot. But it's also 105 here everyday. AND the temp light comes on ALL the time, so even if I tell myself it's faulty, psychologically it's hard not to assume it's running hot, y'know?

Coolant: Changed this myself a few years ago, I think with some bar's leak too. Used stuff that I heard was the right stuff to use from IA (I think there was a debate over what kind of stuff was good for aluminum, and I *think* I took the cautious advice here but can't say for sure. I probably did a bad or terrible job bleeding the system when I did this...I think I probably let it idle with the radiator cap off for a few minutes but that might be it. *Should I go ahead and replace the coolant? Alternatively, would simply removing the cap and idling the engine while rocking it back and forth potentially help, assuming there might be some air bubbles? Can't hurt/might help, right?

Hub oil: Just changed this too, though the old stuff looked fine. Not sure if I put in the right amount (no viewing glass??) but I think I got pretty close.

Hope this isn't TMI but figured it can't hurt. Thanks all!

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Overheating?

Post by Lechy »

The temp sensor closes a live circuit to ground on over temp, you could have the cable shorting down bringing the light on. Always a good idea to renew the coolant on a yearly basis. For what oil filters cost it is false economy not to replace at every oil change. Radiator cap could be in bad condition and not holding pressure. If the fan comes on especially in slow moving traffic I would think that the sensor is OK just a connection grounding down. The oil level on the pumpkin should be at the bottom of the filler threads.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

panamaniac
Studying MC Handbook

Post by panamaniac »

Thanks Lechy!

1) I'll see if I can google around/look around for wiring to see if I can make sure I have a good ground. Unless you have any tips in that department?

2) Cool, I'll order a new oil filter. Fine to put it on even a couple weeks after the oil change, or does it need to be done simultaneously?

3) I'll double check the radiator cap.

4) Oh, hmm yeah the owner's manual says to replace coolant every 2 years, I thought it was much longer intervals than that. Will take a closer look there too.

5) Is the pumpkin the oil level viewing glass? And by filling threads I think you mean lines...are you saying it should in fact be closer to the bottom line than the top? And would that be hot or cold?

6) Yeah the fan does come on esp. during slow-moving traffic so I think it's working properly.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

The pumpkin is the differential on the rear wheel. The engine oil is the oil in the sight glass on the engine. To check the oil level, put a small block under the side-stand so as the bike is almost upright and the level should be in the middle of the glass cold, over filling is bad for the engine as it causes too much crank case pressure. I wouldn't worry too much about the oil filter, it is just good practice to change out both together.

I think you misunderstood me about the wiring, if the cable from the sensor to the light is damaged and is grounding out it could cause the light to illuminate.

There are manuals available for download on this site, just have a look around.
[emoji41]

panamaniac
Studying MC Handbook

Post by panamaniac »

Thanks Lech, the pumpkin comment makes total sense now! Yes I think I filled it to bottom of the threads. I have both the owners' and service manual and will run though the things suggested there but the forum has often been a handy shortcut, esp. when it seems like I have a bundle of related issues. :cheers: :cheers:

New oil filter ordered :)

Other thoughts also appreciated.

panamaniac
Studying MC Handbook

Post by panamaniac »

Thanks, all.

So I replaced the coolant Saturday morning. The old coolant still looked pristine—obviously you don't want it to look milky or whatever, but it came out looking so new I felt like I was wasting my time!

Is there a bleeder for coolant on a '93 Intruder 800? The service manual doesn't mention one and I couldn't find one to save my life. Ended up spending 5 minutes or so with the bike idling and me rocking it back and forth hoping to get the bubbles out.

I also tried bending fins on the radiator back into place, but it was painstaking and the aluminum creases so easily I'm not sure if I did any good.

OK, so then the lady and I go riding up a mountain in 100-degree heat, the bike feels quite hot, and the thing the previous owner warned me about years ago finally happens for the first time—it loses the ability to shift. Or at least, pulling in the clutch lever doesn't do anything. I can still change gears by just shifting anyway but of course that makes me feel like I'm destroying the bike. I manage to get it parked at our destination and after an hour's rest it does fine going back downhill, but even then it feels quite hot.

So, I'm hoping I didn't do a negligent job replacing the coolant. I guess I can't be sure the bike's not overheating until I'm sure the temp light and fan come on when they should, right?

Also, any thoughts on the clutch giving out like that are welcome.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

The clutch is giving out because the fluid is old. It has a tendency to become water enriched so when it gets hot the water turns to gas and expands like having air in the system, when it cools down it returns to a liquid and will operate OK until it gets hot again. A bleed through with fresh fluid and clean out the bottom of the master cylinder especially the 2 small holes at the bottom should cure that problem.
I ride in temps from 90 -105 F most of the year, the engine does feel hot but the fan also blows air over the header pipes which increases the feeling on your legs. I have a temp gauge and the running temp is usually between 70- 80 C but I have the fan wired to be permanently running.

[emoji41]