Intruder comparison test VS Boulevards

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Intruder comparison test VS Boulevards

Post by wj_hurd »

So... I'm curious about comparing the various intruders VS Boulevards.
This is all about opinion.. No right or wrong answer. But I'm looking for those who have ridden both and how they feel about each bike.
Like the Boulevard 1500, S50/S90/S109/M90/M109R vs the Intruder V1400/S83.

These are 3 very different bikes, a cruiser, one more like a bagger (1500/S-series BLVD) and muscle bike (M-series).

Kind of getting an itch and leaning more towards a bagger (S-series BLVD). But I don't want to loose the good performance I get out of my VS1400. I have heard the M90 is a really great bike in handling and power, but how is it compared the true intruder?

So fire away at what you all have discovered. I know doing my own test rides will give me better indicators, but unfortunately a lot of people are not too keen on people riding their bikes unless they have $$$ in hand, and most of my local dealers are doing the same.

And honestly, I haven't yet seen an Intruder VS1400 with bags yet that I really like. :sad: :donno:
1996 VS1400GL, Jardine Drag pipes, K&N Filters.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Re: Intruder comparison test VS Boulevards

Post by enforcer »

First off the S series stopped a few years ago and only consisted of the 40/50/83. They're all just rebadged Savage and VS800 and 1400 respectively.

The C series are rebadged VL bikes with the C50/90 being the VL800/1500(LC) respectively.

The M series is the muscle bike series, with completely different motor configuration from the afford mentioned bikes being centered around performance and handing. They are slightly leaned forward seating position with cruiser style foot position.

The only exceptions to the rule are the newer C90 and the C109R. They are carbon copies of the M series except for handlebar, foot position and accessories.

All C series are designed for touring with some having more accessories than others.

For my money, having ridden them all, I preferred early C90s. Same as an LC, only fuel injected. Plenty of power, low center of gravity, built to tour. Hydraulic lifters like the 1400. Low maintenance and a larger gas tank than the 1400. I almost bought one, but where I purchasing wouldn't come off the insanely inflated price and it wouldn't be worth much when I paid it off, in case i wanted to buy something else.

Didn't like the larger end of the spectrum, because they were big bikes, that felt big. Not enough balance to satisfy me.

The S series is a side grade as none were fuel injected. All you get is a newer bike, no improvements.

C50 has inherent flaws that make them a paper weight somewhere between 35K to 50K. Plus they're a pig, just like the Volusia.

If you don't mind carbs, the LC is a great bike as well and have been know to go for 1 - 2K cheaper than the C90.

The M50 is a good bike, not a pig like the VL. But not a touring or highway bike.

Of course these are just my observations and are open to interpretation.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Agree somewhat with above.I think of my 08 C50 and now with over 30,000 have fingers crossed it will be one of the few to go 50,000.I like it on two lane and slow back road rides but like my others lots more on anykind of fourlane for any thing over 30 minutes.My 1400 was trouble free but for the piss poor below 35 degrees starting :bonk: Worse bike of over thirty owned at cold weather starts even my six harleys with heavy oil.
I do like the old 1400 far better in looks.They put that dumb tool box between the nice tall jugs and made the best looking thing on the bike look short.Having had more sport fours and ten years of drag strip running know what poer is and the 14 and 15 and my 1700 roadstar feel fast but are far from it.I like fast and slow bikes if they do somethings good.At age 70 now I am about as fast as my slow bikes. :cheers:

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

I found this bike...

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/5628102980.html
:rock:

I have tried reaching out to the owner for more pics... That's what I would really like. The look and sound of a Harley road glide at a 1/10 of the cost.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

wj_hurd wrote:I found this bike...

I have tried reaching out to the owner for more pics... That's what I would really like. The look and sound of a Harley road glide at a 1/10 of the cost.
Actually, that would be and Electra Glide Classic and it wouldn't sound like one. And 1/10, hardly. My 03 only cost me $8K with 19K miles. If you could pick it up for $4.5K, I'd say you did good. But at that price, I'd be surprised it was still for sale.

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

enforcer wrote:

Actually, that would be and Electra Glide Classic and it wouldn't sound like one. And 1/10, hardly. My 03 only cost me $8K with 19K miles. If you could pick it up for $4.5K, I'd say you did good. But at that price, I'd be surprised it was still for sale.
You got your Electra Glide for $8,000? You stole that! :eek: :bonk:
I just did a quick local search... All of the $8,000 Electra's - 2001 or older and 30,000 + miles. Everything with 19,000 or less miles are $11,000+

Yea yea.. OK 1/10 of the cost is a little off... but you get what I'm saying tho. I can get a lot of bike for a fair amount of $$$

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

I get what you're saying. I would have rather had an Evo. You rarely find low mileage Evos, since they're touring bikes. I'm not sure what you're really looking for, but I did happen to find a fairly low mileage Evo in your neck of the woods.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/5667071424.html

Didn't see too many C90s, but if you do get a 05-09 for $5K or less, grab it. But only expect it to be a riders bike and not really worth much at resale time.

What I like about Harley is they hold their value across the years.

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: VS1400 + VL1500

Post by scootermcq »

The bike is worth $4-5k before the $750 exhaust, $1000+ in fairing and bags. That is a decent price for that bike. The passenger floor boards are a nice touch. I'm not fussy on the riding lamps being on the crash bars but not a big deal to change.

https://www.tsukayu.com/Bike_Suzuki_Boulevard3.html

If it's in good shape I would grab it.

One nice thing about the LC / C90 is the engine just keeps going. There are lots of guys on the Delphi forum over 100,000 miles and some getting into 200,000. The repairs over the years seem to be stators / R&R and some pick-ups. Steering head bearings are a POS and need changing around 20 - 30,000 miles. That is $50 and an afternoon. Besides that they last forever. I am enjoying the LC more than I thought I would. I bought it to get a larger pillion but thought I would be settling to get it. I much prefer riding it over the 1400 although the 1400 is still a fun bike to ride.
Scott

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by scootermcq »

enforcer wrote:and a larger gas tank than the 1400.
I find the range is about the same on the 2 bikes. I get around 35 - 40 mpg on the 1500 & 40 - 45 mpg on the 1400 so at the end of the day both bikes are looking for a gas station around 125 miles.
Scott

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 05 S83 07 M50

Post by Blaine »

Love my S83.

If at first you succeed,don't be surprised.

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by scootermcq »

wj_hurd wrote:But I don't want to loose the good performance I get out of my VS1400.
Last thought.... on that I would put the performance around the same. I have done stage 3 on the LC and the VS is semi uncorked. I haven't done 1/4 with both to see exactly, but they sure feel about the same power. Obviously the 1400 is lighter and easier to throw around.

The other week I was travelling around 80 km/hr on the LC and needed to pass some cars, I pulled out and hit the throttle which lifted the front wheel about 2-3 inches off the ground. I passed the 3 cars and had to brake to merge back in because I was going to pass the bikes I was trying to catch up to :shock:
Scott

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

Blaine wrote:Love my S83.

Good looking scoot!

And I do love my VS1400... I'm getting a twitch tho.

Thanks for the input scootermcq... The dude sent me some videos... I'll see if I can upload them and show them off.

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

Here is the videos he sent me... Lets see if I can get this to work

http://vid252.photobucket.com/albums/hh ... wmqrh6.mp4

http://vid252.photobucket.com/albums/hh ... i0wiqq.mp4

OK embedding doesn't work... just click the links. :Umm:

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by scootermcq »

It looks nice.... because of those Linby bars I don't mind the lights as much as I thought I did.
Scott

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

wj_hurd wrote:Here is the videos he sent me... Lets see if I can get this to work

http://vid252.photobucket.com/albums/hh ... wmqrh6.mp4

http://vid252.photobucket.com/albums/hh ... i0wiqq.mp4

OK embedding doesn't work... just click the links. :Umm:
I'd ride it. Though he doesn't seem to know what custom means. :lmao:

Or how to mount running lights.

But if you could get it between $4-5K, I'd say you did alright.