I'm thinking of selling my BOLT...

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Re: I'm thinking of selling my BOLT...

Post by enforcer »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:
enforcer wrote:
MattSunn wrote:Bolt is 540 wet and the standard 950 without touring stuff is 613 wet. I had the tour model and I think it was 645 wet. Don ain't a big guy and he's probably looking for something about the size of the Bolt with better(softer) suspension.
Progressive suspension? Air shocks and a good seat can go a long way.
You don't know Frodo (Don) do you? :Umm:
I know he's a older, shorter gentleman. If he really adores his Bolt, why not an attempt at making it more comfortable. Much less expensive than a new bike. I've only had 1 bike thus far I haven't had to do anything to make comfortable.

And it's a variation of the Road King he's I love with.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

maxriderdon
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Suzuki GSX1250FA

Post by maxriderdon »

MattSunn wrote:I believe he's already owned one of those, and traded it in for a smaller bike. ;IDunno:
I believe you are correct, at least that's what I remember as well.

I've sat on the Triumph America and it might be worth a look as it has a really low seat. The America is chain drive though if that's an issue. Now that I've owned 2 bikes with chains they are not that big a deal as I previously imagined and hold up much better than I originally thought they would.

frodo
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Suzuki C-50

Post by frodo »

I had the Sprung seat and piggyback rear shocks on the BOLT but to no avail, it was still too much of a "pogo-stick" for my old and delicate bones...Besides, my C-50 is on order (it will be a Burgundy color) I should have it in two weeks!
I know it's a good bike for me because I had one before and the only reason I sold it was because ninjato told me it was a "dog" (which it was)...But at my age, I love to come out to the garage and see my motorcycle wagging it's tail! [emoji106]

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

[emoji106] Thats a good line Don.My C50 was waggin its tail this AM and rode slow to meet the old coots.With traffic light even on the four lane at 7:30 the air was nice and cool as just had on the all mesh joeRocket and 2/3 helmet for a change.With out the full face do not want to go as fast and makes the C50 feel faster :cheers: .Took the bearing back out of my Vstrom wheel and plan to work on it more next week.Still like a few thousands to make bearing seat low enough.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

frodo wrote:I had the Sprung seat and piggyback rear shocks on the BOLT but to no avail, it was still too much of a "pogo-stick" for my old and delicate bones...Besides, my C-50 is on order (it will be a Burgundy color) I should have it in two weeks!
I know it's a good bike for me because I had one before and the only reason I sold it was because ninjato told me it was a "dog" (which it was)...But at my age, I love to come out to the garage and see my motorcycle wagging it's tail! [emoji106]
Ninjato used "dog" as an epithet perhaps because he is a cat lover but I know for fact Lan likes doggies. Just an expression from a dude that likes to ride super fast. However, fast is relative to space as well as time. I'll race any rice rocket from Hollister to Key West beginning at high noon on Independence day. The most direct route goes through 120 degree heat. He goes my route he'll fry. He takes another route he'll take too much time and miles. Speed is relative.
I love my doggies when they wag their tails.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

PCC
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: GW TRIKE + 1300 Yamaha V Star

Post by PCC »

Good deal!
[emoji106]
Read My Daily Musings On Numerous Topics
Especially Riding Motorcycles & Camera Captures
Of My Meanderings...

https://pcove99.wixsite.com/website

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Got my V strom axle allmost all the way in but having troubles getting it to line up in the threaded leg it does the last two inches in?Guess its the messed up hub not letting everything seat right.Light getting bad so try to finish in the morning when not soooo hot.Hope it works and seats . Will be a real slow ride till I feel its safe.Got both front brakes back on after taking second off to get every thing to line better.Get axle rest the way through and spin while in the air before any thought of down and away.Wish wheel bearing were covered under warranty.
Took the C50 for a early morning ride while still cool.At 70 now slow is not all that bad [emoji106] .Put 26,000 on the 50 now and had 6,000 when I got it.Still got the same battery but think it was new when I got it as not factory.Only time in shop was some little Suzuki recall after I got it.For a third bike and no money other than normal oil changes,and tires at home been great for a half list bike wnen I got it. :cheers:

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

DONT DO IT
-DBTO

frodo
Learning My Moped

Post by frodo »

Too late my friend! [emoji2]

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

frodo wrote:Too late my friend! [emoji2]

Nooooooooo!

(Pics of the new ride....?)
-DBTO

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Good you are still kickin!! We need all the members we got. Even RoadKing! :lmao: :cheers:

frodo
Learning My Moped

Post by frodo »

Wait a minute, Roadking is a good guy as long as you don't knock Harleys...He is truly a "King of the Road!'

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

frodo wrote:Wait a minute, Roadking is a good guy as long as you don't knock Harleys...He is truly a "King of the Road!'
True in both respects, no reason I would deny. And know that this King looks up in total respect to a Motorcycle King from the Hobbit Realm! :cheers:
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

-DC-
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: RT SM6 + XL1200C

Post by -DC- »

650 Vstar Custom is 514 lbs wet, C50 is 611 lbs wet, almost a full 100 lbs heavier....................... [emoji41]

Oh, I see the Bolt is gone........Did you replace it yet Frodo?
Being a grandpa is the bees knees.... :putput:

frodo
Learning My Moped

Post by frodo »

It's in the works...Now I have to learn how to put pictures up on this forum (I never had problems with the IA)

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

frodo wrote:It's in the works...Now I have to learn how to put pictures up on this forum (I never had problems with the IA)
Post them the same way. :funnylast: Little picture icon up there.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

98VS1400 wrote:Too bad ya didn't buy one of them electric motorcycles! I hear how much fun they are, and fast, too. All torque since the bike starts moving immediately with a twist of the throttle. Plus, you can go for a couple of hours before needing to recharge it.

Given that a couple of hours is more than a bunch of people ride, it should be plenty of smile time.

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/specs.php
Really want to try one. I hear they weigh next to nothing. Without a tank full of gas, I believe it. I'm waiting for a hybrid like the Volt now.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

98VS1400 wrote:
enforcer wrote:
98VS1400 wrote:Too bad ya didn't buy one of them electric motorcycles! I hear how much fun they are, and fast, too. All torque since the bike starts moving immediately with a twist of the throttle. Plus, you can go for a couple of hours before needing to recharge it.

Given that a couple of hours is more than a bunch of people ride, it should be plenty of smile time.

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/specs.php
Really want to try one. I hear they weigh next to nothing. Without a tank full of gas, I believe it. I'm waiting for a hybrid like the Volt now.
So do I, just to say I have. Weights appear to be anywhere from low 300s to mid 400s, model dependant. A hybrid can't be far off, but I suspect it would be a small engine. Maybe a 125-250cc.
Yeah, but if you run just the gas engine, it could be used to recharge the batteries for the electric motor. That would be awesome.

But I think a 300cc engine with a small tank under the seat would be ideal.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

enforcer wrote: Yeah, but if you run just the gas engine, it could be used to recharge the batteries for the electric motor. That would be awesome.
That would make a great hybrid car. Put a small lawn mower motor in it hooked up to a generator to change the batteries and it would run for days on a 20 gal tank. :uhh: [space] :cheers:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:
enforcer wrote: Yeah, but if you run just the gas engine, it could be used to recharge the batteries for the electric motor. That would be awesome.
That would make a great hybrid car. Put a small lawn mower motor in it hooked up to a generator to change the batteries and it would run for days on a 20 gal tank. :uhh: [space] :cheers:
More weight would make the electric motor less efficient. 20 gallon tank is probably out of the question.

But say a very efficient gas engine with a decent tank that doesn't add a lot of weight, now you're talking.

We'll leave that up to the engineers. Let them take down big oil.