I'm thinking of selling my BOLT...

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
frodo
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Suzuki C-50

I'm thinking of selling my BOLT...

Post by frodo »

I finally realized what a "harsh" ride I was getting from my BOLT and what a great copy of a Sportster it is with the same lousy suspension. At 78 years old I deserve something more "plush" if ya know what I mean. My favorite motorcycle is a Roadking, but I can't even get it off the side stand.
This afternoon I''m going down to my Suzuki dealer and take a look at a nice small "fatbike" yup you guessed it...another C-50. I know it's a slug, but at my present age and condition I think we will get along just fine... :bow:

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: I'm thinking of selling my BOLT...

Post by Lechy »

Hey Don, try out another Yammy 650.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Suspension is the primary thing they go cheap on when it comes to small/mid sized cruisers (or cruisers in general to some extent) in order to keep costs down. It's the nature of the beast. My LC has a cheap-assed suspension too. The saving grace for the LC is that the mushy, soft seat takes some of the bite out of the harder bumps. [emoji2]
lovineveryminuteofit

NE_FL
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VS1400

Post by NE_FL »

Ever test ride a Burgman? :ahha:

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Have rode both the 400 and 650 Burgman.The 400 does not ride as nice but both fun.Have not test rode the 250 yet.The 650 will feel just like your Voluisa did.Same bike but for the FI and they changed the tail light in 2009.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

Sir Donald, what you ride or even if you ride at all means nothing to me as compared to how much I would really like to see you again. I know you visit kin folk near my home and when you are in the area you and yours would be welcomed guests.
RK
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Elsie rider
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: HD Triglide

Post by Elsie rider »

old time rider wrote:Have rode both the 400 and 650 Burgman.The 400 does not ride as nice but both fun.Have not test rode the 250 yet.The 650 will feel just like your Voluisa did.Same bike but for the FI and they changed the tail light in 2009.

might feel like a Volusia with a turbo...that 650 Burgman will shit and git , even with my fat ass.

frodo
Learning My Moped

Post by frodo »

To Roadking, nice to hear from you bud, yes we do have family up in Clinton, NY just south of Utica but since my wifes Grandsons have grown up and moved away we don't visit my wifes Daughter as much as we used to but if we do visit them I'll try to contact you, I'd love to have a bottle or two of "Utica Club" with ya... :cheers:

To the rest of you, when I first came into the IA I was still riding fast but I had a Suzuki C-50 which was NOT a fast motorcycle, in fact I used to call it an "old mans bike" however I remember how reliable it was and now that I am an "old man" I think it will be the perfect bike for me since I like reliable and dependable when it comes to a motorcycle, but FAST,
not so much! [emoji476] I'm fishing for opinions... :smile:

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Don I said 650 when I should have said 800 or c50.I recall the short leg pic of you beside your two/tone one.Mine is a o8 with the mag wheels.Good ride at legal two lane speeds but such a dog next to my tall v-strom 650.Guess I said 650 because had just talled about the Burgman.Rode the one my friend had a lot and it would beat my 1500 Nomad easy on big end!He wanted to drag them and luck was with me as got him in the 1/4 but he went buy me soon after the marked off 1/4.He blamed it on my years of drag strips and his none.The 1500 was great,smooth two up bike but slowest big bike I ever owned.

frodo
Learning My Moped

Post by frodo »

Hey Old time rider...You are Paul, right? If I remember right, you used to have a C-50 at one time didn't you?
Can you imagine wanting a slug like that? Right now I'm into meandering down backroads at a "leisurely pace" and enjoying just being alive and still riding [emoji106]

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

Welp, that lasted what....three years? Oh, well gotta go with what's working for you today!

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

Don, are you gonna buy new? The Triumph America and SpeedMaster are nice bikes. A good used Honda 750 Aero or Kaw 800 or 900 might be a good choice. Post a pic of whatever you buy.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Don I was thinking yours was a Volusia but guess it was a C50. Got mine when my 1700 RoadStar had broken its third drive belt and was looking for a chain change over or used belt on E-Bay.Saw my 08 for sale out of state but only 200 miles.It looked like new had 6,000 miles,a $400 suzuki shield,and over a year of extra warranty still on it.Bid started at half list so I bid and was only one!Have 31,000 now and gas,tires,and oil changes at home only money spent on it.It is nice for slow rides like I just took before dark.The factory mag wheels were main reason I bid on it.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

Say it ain't so. Why not side grade to a V Star 950. Same engine as the Bolt, but a bigger tank and better seat and suspension. Plenty comfy when I test rode one.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

enforcer wrote:Say it ain't so. Why not side grade to a V Star 950. Same engine as the Bolt, but a bigger tank and better seat and suspension. Plenty comfy when I test rode one.

What he said Don :funnylast: ] ..I've rode one and they ride really nice with enough pep for us "old guys"
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

I believe he's already owned one of those, and traded it in for a smaller bike. ;IDunno:

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

MattSunn wrote:I believe he's already owned one of those, and traded it in for a smaller bike. ;IDunno:
Really, only addition that makes it heavier than the Bolt is the tank and anything you bolt on it. No pun intended.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

Bolt is 540 wet and the standard 950 without touring stuff is 613 wet. I had the tour model and I think it was 645 wet. Don ain't a big guy and he's probably looking for something about the size of the Bolt with better(softer) suspension.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

MattSunn wrote:Bolt is 540 wet and the standard 950 without touring stuff is 613 wet. I had the tour model and I think it was 645 wet. Don ain't a big guy and he's probably looking for something about the size of the Bolt with better(softer) suspension.
Progressive suspension? Air shocks and a good seat can go a long way.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

enforcer wrote:
MattSunn wrote:Bolt is 540 wet and the standard 950 without touring stuff is 613 wet. I had the tour model and I think it was 645 wet. Don ain't a big guy and he's probably looking for something about the size of the Bolt with better(softer) suspension.
Progressive suspension? Air shocks and a good seat can go a long way.
You don't know Frodo (Don) do you? :Umm:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree: