Few problems

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
shakeedogg
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1987 vs700

Few problems

Post by shakeedogg »

87 700 intruder. I just bought it and on the way home had a flat on the rear. Loaded up and took home changed out the tube.now I have a shake that seems to come from the front but it doesn't make sense since the front wheel hasn't been touched. Both tires were brand new when I bought the bike. The shake occurs throughout the speed but more noticeable from 20 to 60mph. Would a tire being out of balance cause this exact thing? Would the back tire make it feel like the front is producing the shake?

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: Few problems

Post by WintrSol »

Absolutely; did you not have the tire balanced? In any case, if the tire is wobbling from side to side, which may not show up when balanced, depending on the person doing it and the machine, that motion can be transferred through the steering to your hands. If you have access to a lift, spin the rear wheel, and watch for the tire squirming side to side; a pencil taped to the swing arm will reveal small deviations. Since the only thing that should have changed is the tire, unless the rim was bent during the flat, it is probably a bad tire.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

If it sat a while before you bought it and the tires lost some pressure, that would cause what you're experiencing.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: 1992 Intruder 1400

Post by Leckbass »

enforcer wrote:If it sat a while before you bought it and the tires lost some pressure, that would cause what you're experiencing.
Could be a flat spot, but I'd start by balancing the tire.

shakeedogg
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1987 vs700

Post by shakeedogg »

I replaced the weights on the back wheel after putting the tube in but it seems like the shake is coming from the front. If looking at the front tire when at speed it has a wobble to it but I haven't touched the front. When I get time I will pull both wheels and balance them to start.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

shakeedogg wrote:I replaced the weights on the back wheel after putting the tube in but it seems like the shake is coming from the front. If looking at the front tire when at speed it has a wobble to it but I haven't touched the front.
First, the balance weights counter both heavy spots in the tire and the tube; even if you marked the rim and tire so they are back where they were, putting the weights back where they were probably didn't reset the balance as it was.

To see why an imbalance in the rear wheel can make the front wobble, try this: sit on the bike, and very lightly hold the bars straight, then have a friend grab the rear-most part of the rear wheel, and pull it side-to-side. What does the front wheel do? The caster and trail of the front wheel should transmit that wagging to the steering.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie