To helmet or not to helmet, is that even a question?

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.

Do you always wear a helmet?

Yes, all the time
80%
Only if I have to
20%
No, I only ride in my state without a helmet law and others without one
No votes

Total votes: 30

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

To helmet or not to helmet, is that even a question?

Post by enforcer »

After driving through the better part of Iowa and Illinois this weekend, two states without helmet laws, I got to wondering. Do those of you without helmet laws in your state still wear helmets? Seems most of those on the highways in those two states don't. Granted I saw a few that did, the majority of those didn't. I know I would, even if my state didn't have a law. (My state is surrounded by states with no laws, but I still wear one every ride)

What's your take?
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Re: To helmet or not to helmet, is that even a question?

Post by wj_hurd »

I run full face, modular. I have tried a 1/2 shell, and wearing glasses, there is too much wind in my eyes which blurs my vision. If I got a 1/2 shell, it would need one with a sun shade to reduce the wind in my eyes.
I will never ride the road without a helmet. I don't care if its not "COOL", I do not ride to impress you, I ride to enjoy my ride and I wear what I wear because its what makes ME feel safe. Never sandals, flip flops, or shorts, minimum of a leather vest, jeans, sneakers.
Dress for the slide, not the ride!
1996 VS1400GL, Jardine Drag pipes, K&N Filters.

moto357
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Suzuki vs 1400

Post by moto357 »

I had a bad accident 11 years ago where I totaled a vs800. I had long pants, boots, a leather jacket and a full face helmet. My foot was almost ripped off, only saved because of the boots. My helmet was smashed pretty good too, but no damage to my pumpkin...I think :bonk: . Helmet laws are required here in NY but regardless I've always made sure to have it on. Rather have one and not need it than need one and not have it :soapbox:

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: 1992 Intruder 1400

Post by Leckbass »

I always wear my helmet and leather jacket and jeans and boots. Sometimes I were the body armor when I go on long road trips, but rarely. I dont feel right without a helmet on.

shakeedogg
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1987 vs700

Post by shakeedogg »

Here in Ohio I am a new rider less than a year so it's required that I wear one. I wear a half helmet and an armoured mesh jacket and just got an old school leather jacket. I will always wear at least a half helmet .it's not as good as a full face but it's better than nothing.

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: VS1400 + VL1500

Post by scootermcq »

I have caught rocks off the helmet a couple times and a bird.

Any of those three or 4 times I got my bell rung over the years could have knocked me off the bike or knocked me out. I'm used to it and I would wear one even if not law.

If you need any further arguments regarding wearing a helmet.... I point you to:

Nuff Said
Scott

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

Not even one nay sayer yet. Where's all those guys I passed without one on I-80 and I-88? :bonk:

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: 1992 Intruder 1400

Post by Leckbass »

98VS1400 wrote:
enforcer wrote:Not even one nay sayer yet. Where's all those guys I passed without one on I-80 and I-88? :bonk:
Hitting the refresh button over on IA.

:lmao:
Lol

shakeedogg
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1987 vs700

Post by shakeedogg »

In Ohio 4 people were killed on motorcycles over memorial weekend and guess what...all 4 not wearing a helmet.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Ky. had a helment law way back but since the late 90s it was taken away on all but riders below 21 or riding less than a year.They do not enfore even that part any more.I wear one more than 99% of the time any way.Sometimes in 90 or above may have a small helmet on but full face most the time.Boots,Armor jacket and pants most the time allso.Trips allways have all with me and on most unless just way too hot.Do not ride the over 30,000 a year now at 69 but any year over 20,000 and that may go down with the big 70 this month but sure I would not bounce or heal near as fast as the few times down and only one I could not ride the motorcycle home.No one ever aims to go down and never fun unless in the mud on a small dirt bike. :cheers:

Night_Wolf
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 1400 Intruder

Post by Night_Wolf »

I live in Canada & it's law here that we HAVE to wear a helmet. On my Intruder I typically wear a half lid, while on my V-Stroms or my current Honda "adventure styled" motorcycles I wear a modular with internal sun visor.

My choice in gear wasn't always the best but I ALWAYS wore boots, denim pants, shirt with vest, fingerless gloves & the half helmet. I now always ride with proper motorcycle boots, wear a proper jacket (leather on the Intruder, Gore_Tex textile on the adventure bike) proper gloves, chaps or Gore-Tex pants tend to be worn on a somewhat regular basis again depending upon which bike I take out & the different helmets depending also on the ride.

My little lady wears her Gore-Tex jacket, gloves, motorcycle boots & a modular helmet (she is not allowed to hear a half lid) chaps or textile pants are dependent upon the weather & bike. When we first hooked up she was not allowed on the bike without being ATGATT until she got to know how I rode after 1 full season. After that I relaxed the rules & it's her choice on the textile pants or chaps. Her gear is the same quality as mine or as close as we could get due to sizing issues (her boots while gore-tex are different than mine as I could not order mine in a small enough size. Her modular helmet, chaps & jacket are the same as mine, Her textile pants are not gore-tex again due to sizing issues & while her gloves are different than mine they are a quality glove. In our 8 yrs together I think she has ridden without a jacket twice & to be fair it's much cooler in Alberta than in Ontario so I typically wear my jacket now too
Type @ Ya'll Later
Night_Wolf

Intruder Alert Canada/Night_Wolf's Lair

Alberta Adventure Riders

2006 VS1400 Image 2020 V85TT Image

Spitfire
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by Spitfire »

So I've got a question. My wife and I always wear ATGATT but here in Texas the temps can be brutal so.... during the summer we have cheap mesh jackets. Now after having and using them awhile I have serious doubts they would provide much if any protection. If not for the armored pads in the shoulders, elbows and back panel I can't see any advantage to so flimsy a material and I wonder if we ever went down they would hold together enough to make the armor effective. I read somewhere and I wish I could remember where so I could quote the article accurately, the mesh gear is actually worse than no gear as it can actually melt into the wounds in the event of a sliding event (pretty much any mishap). Yeah I know, you get what you pay for in most cases so I already screwed the pooch in buying cheap stuff in the first place but what should I look for in buying better quality gear. I have looked and prices go from less that $100 to $700+ but I can't seem to find anything that says what it is capable of providing in the way of durability. While we aren't paupers we are named Trump either so inquiring minds want to know, how do you decide what jacket provides adequate protection without having to sell the bike to afford it?

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

Spitfire wrote:So I've got a question. My wife and I always wear ATGATT but here in Texas the temps can be brutal so.... during the summer we have cheap mesh jackets. Now after having and using them awhile I have serious doubts they would provide much if any protection. If not for the armored pads in the shoulders, elbows and back panel I can't see any advantage to so flimsy a material and I wonder if we ever went down they would hold together enough to make the armor effective. I read somewhere and I wish I could remember where so I could quote the article accurately, the mesh gear is actually worse than no gear as it can actually melt into the wounds in the event of a sliding event (pretty much any mishap). Yeah I know, you get what you pay for in most cases so I already screwed the pooch in buying cheap stuff in the first place but what should I look for in buying better quality gear. I have looked and prices go from less that $100 to $700+ but I can't seem to find anything that says what it is capable of providing in the way of durability. While we aren't paupers we are named Trump either so inquiring minds want to know, how do you decide what jacket provides adequate protection without having to sell the bike to afford it?
I've been contemplating armor myself. I, like Keith, usually ride in a minimum of sneakers, jeans, t-shirt and helmet. After trying on a few mesh jackets, I couldn't see myself wearing them in the extreme heat I've been having lately. I wear a hoodie or jacket in cooler temps, but don't really feel any safer.

That's why I've been contemplating buying just armor without the jacket. Just wanted everyone else's perceptions first.

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by scootermcq »

I wear a Joe Rocket mesh jacket in the hot summer, fortunately I have never had to "test" it out. I bought it in light grey as well so it does not absorb the sun like black does. It breathes well and as long as I am moving it is as good as not wearing a jacket for air flow.

I have seen lots of reviews and testimonials about people crashing in them and everything I have read said it saved their skin and I have not read anything about the jacket melting into a wound.

In the cooler periods I have a leather Joe Rocket which I do feel safer in from a protection point of view. Both of them have CE armour in the shoulders, elbows and have spine protection.
Scott

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by scootermcq »

Here is an example of a Joe Rocket Mesh from 130 kph (80 mph) crash with a resulting slide. It does not go all the way through and there isn't any melting evident.

Scott

Spitfire
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by Spitfire »

Great! Thanks for the response and info, that is the kind of information I need to make an intelligent decision. The article I read about melting into the wound was referring to the type of material my jacket is made of, nylon, or those made of polypropylene I think. Now I have a reference to go look at and check for the type of material they use as well as visual indication of abrasion results. Maybe I am not using the right search criteria but I couldn't find any discussion or comparisons of the different mesh jackets performance in an accident. [emoji106]

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by scootermcq »

Spitfire wrote:Great! Thanks for the response and info, that is the kind of information I need to make an intelligent decision. The article I read about melting into the wound was referring to the type of material my jacket is made of, nylon, or those made of polypropylene I think. Now I have a reference to go look at and check for the type of material they use as well as visual indication of abrasion results. Maybe I am not using the right search criteria but I couldn't find any discussion or comparisons of the different mesh jackets performance in an accident. [emoji106]
People have sent in different gear pictures to this guy after a crash.... might give you some input

http://dontai.com/wp/2010/06/03/does-mo ... nt-page-1/
Scott

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

I wear a fullface helmet mainly because of a dry eye condition. I have a warm weather fullface and a cold weather fullface. Several years ago, when I went to Myrtle Beach Bike Week, I tried riding without a helmet. It felt good, although my eyes paid for it. Kinda weird tho after all those years riding with a helmet. A friends helmet after a get-off:

Spitfire
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by Spitfire »

scootermcq wrote:
Spitfire wrote:Great! Thanks for the response and info, that is the kind of information I need to make an intelligent decision. The article I read about melting into the wound was referring to the type of material my jacket is made of, nylon, or those made of polypropylene I think. Now I have a reference to go look at and check for the type of material they use as well as visual indication of abrasion results. Maybe I am not using the right search criteria but I couldn't find any discussion or comparisons of the different mesh jackets performance in an accident. [emoji106]
People have sent in different gear pictures to this guy after a crash.... might give you some input

http://dontai.com/wp/2010/06/03/does-mo ... nt-page-1/

Wow! :eek: That link was just what I was looking for, thanks for sharing it. Guess I'll continue to wear my cheap mesh gear a little while longer, apparently it is better than nothing if adjusted properly and it is just plane too hot now to wear the textile or leather jackets. We will be getting better quality soon though. :cheers:

I would have responded this morning but I'm having trouble posting to this forum or even opening it at times this morning for some reason. :confused:

Grandpa C
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 95 VS 800

Post by Grandpa C »

I wear a full face modular during the warm months, and full face during the short "cold" season we have here in Florida.

I have a full mesh Nitro brand jacket, was on sale at the time. I went down when a new rider taking a turn too fast and hit the sand that gathers in the middle of the driveway at a shopping center. No damage to the jacket, head hit fairly hard. I was fully AGAT that night, and glad for that.

Yes I have ridden a couple of times without gear, too much blowing sand and idiot drivers down here. Never again, AGAT or take the truck.
Remember a Woman loves a Man that can cook. :evil: