hot wires

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
alebal
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: vs700 86

hot wires

Post by alebal »

hi, I have a problem with a cable that gets hot (electricity is not my strong point), what can I do?

For now I solved it like this (whit rubber everywhete), but it can't be a permanent solution...

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: hot wires

Post by hillsy v2 »

They are your stator wires - they will get hot but if the connectors are corroded they will get super hot. You can solder those wires instead of the connectors. That helps.

alebal
Practicing Bicycling

Post by alebal »

but with tin? If the connectors have melted, isn't there a risk of melting the tin solder too?

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

alebal wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:40 am
but with tin? If the connectors have melted, isn't there a risk of melting the tin solder too?
They get hot because of the bad connections with the connector spades. Solder is fine.

alebal
Practicing Bicycling

Post by alebal »

hi, I have temporarily solved it with some bullet connectors, better than before, no more hot cable, but perhaps not perfect.

Because sometimes, Trudy turns on slowly, as if something were to charge, or wasn't fully charged yet, sometimes even pressing the power button nothing happens, and then it turns on without problems on the second attempt.

Is there still a problem on one of the connections of the three yellow cables? or could it be something else?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

alebal wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:16 pm
hi, I have temporarily solved it with some bullet connectors, better than before, no more hot cable, but perhaps not perfect.

Because sometimes, Trudy turns on slowly, as if something were to charge, or wasn't fully charged yet, sometimes even pressing the power button nothing happens, and then it turns on without problems on the second attempt.

Is there still a problem on one of the connections of the three yellow cables? or could it be something else?
Could be a bad connection or dirty contacts in the start switch.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

The yellow wires will not cause what you are describing. As Nav says it could be a problem with the start switch. It could also be any of the battery cable connections, connections at the start relay or the start relay itself.
I had the cnnection at the starter corrode, I started it fine at home, stopped for gas and it wouldn't restart. I could hear the start relay click so I was sure that it was at the relay or the starter. I loosened the terminal on the starter and tightened it back down and it fired right up.

Corrosion can cause all kinds of strange problems.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.