Crank no start

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
jfaith15
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2003 Suzuki Intruder VS800

Crank no start

Post by jfaith15 »

I recently bought a used 2003 VS800. It was supposedly in good condition before it sat in a garage for at least a year; however right now, it will crank but it won’t start.

The battery is brand new, but currently dead and has been for a while. The bike started successfully in the past, but I unfortunately never let it run long enough for the battery to charge.

The last time it started was a month ago. I had started the bike to let newly added coolant run through the pipes and so I could top it off if it needed more. After I waited 10ish minutes for the engine to cool, I put the radiator cap back on and tried to start it again. Crank no start.

It has a new battery, spark plugs, air filters, oil and oil filter, gear oil, and coolant. The carbs have been cleaned, but not synced (could that be the issue?). It has a new fuel pump, fresh gas and no visible leaks. I have never done automotive maintenance before, so it is also very possible I fucked something up while doing this work.

Unfortunately, I found that a mouse had chewed on one or two of the wires that I believe go to the regulator/rectifier. Could bad/no connection cause it to not start? I’m assuming no because it started fine before in the same condition.

Unrelated: could a partially chewed-through air filter, covered in mouse shit, cause a crank no start?
I put my faith in Youtube and strangers on the internet to solve my problems.