Clutch Change

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: Clutch Change

Post by sgtcall »

Herb wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:56 pm
The first thing I would try is bleeding the clutch. It is the simplest and cheapest thing to try.
:funnylast:
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Yeah - I agree that bleeding would be the first thing to try. Did you take the pressure plate off? If so check you put it back in the right way. Not 100% on the 1400's but a lot of bikes need the plate to go back in the right spot.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Herb wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:56 pm
The first thing I would try is bleeding the clutch. It is the simplest and cheapest thing to try.
Yep,...what Herb says. :space: Start trouble-shooting fixes with the easiest and most logical thing first. :wink:

And,.....just to make sure ALL the Air is out,....here is a technique that is proven effective;
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:01 pm
Yeah - I agree that bleeding would be the first thing to try. Did you take the pressure plate off? If so check you put it back in the right way. Not 100% on the 1400's but a lot of bikes need the plate to go back in the right spot.
Yea, need more info...did you pull the discs? the wave washer has a certain orientation, and the thick disc goes on first.
Are the bolts and springs in the proper location? The bolts are different lengths.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

It's more than likely something on the clutch basket side because you shouldn't need to touch the slave or MC if you are just doing the springs.

Nav's right that we need more info. I'm guessing he's taken out the discs to have a look at them seeing he was considering changing them in the first place.

Aaron1085
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: vs 1400 intruder

Post by Aaron1085 »

I did pull the disks out just for inspection, also sure I got the springs and bolts in correctly, long springs and bolts to the clutch basket and the others to the spring slider. I did manage to get it to shift up into 2nd and 3rd gears just running up and down the street, when it shifts it feels way better. that's why I figure there must be more air in my clutch lines, i would love to find a stock clutch master to put back on the stock levers, I have some cheap amazon masters on atm.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Aaron1085 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:18 pm
I have some cheap amazon masters on atm.
The clutch might be too small bore size, perhaps?

But yeah - try a thorough bleed first.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Aaron1085 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:18 pm
I did pull the disks out just for inspection, also sure I got the springs and bolts in correctly, long springs and bolts to the clutch basket and the others to the spring slider. I did manage to get it to shift up into 2nd and 3rd gears just running up and down the street, when it shifts it feels way better. that's why I figure there must be more air in my clutch lines, i would love to find a stock clutch master to put back on the stock levers, I have some cheap amazon masters on atm.
Thanks for the updated info! :space: Good to know it's not likely something on the clutch basket side.
Sometimes when just doing the stronger springs, that can bring out a "weakness" in the Hydraulic System.

We look forwards to what you get after performing the System Bleed like Herb had first mentioned.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Aaron1085
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: vs 1400 intruder

Post by Aaron1085 »

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the input. I ended up figuring out my seals in my clutch master were leaking. I had some other older unused masters laying around that had the same bore and stroke. Pulled one apart and switched out the piston and return spring. Pumped it up and it built pressure way quicker than it had previously. She is back on the road. And shifts smooth as butter with the new springs in the clutch.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

:ShitGrinandThumb:
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Thank you for the update.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Now that's Great News!

Good that you had a stash of others to fall back on for free parts. ( that' the right price, eh)

Got any pictures of your Back-On-The-Road Bad Boy?