Try this tip and You’ll never use shrink wrap again

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
Babz
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1987 Vs1400

Try this tip and You’ll never use shrink wrap again

Post by Babz »

:bs: Hey fellas I’m Babz, from New Brunswick canada and I’m trying to get my 87vs1400 going . The tci burned up on me and I’m trying to find a cheap way to fix it or an easy fix using a different igniter

I have the igniter and RR from a 1984 gold wing gl1200a
The wiring seems very similar and it’s even got a vacuum port
Can I use this igniter?

Money is mega tight… not gonna lie I’m basically homeless and live in the woods and I have little to no resources and disposable income but I do have a lot of other old jap bikes around and a fair understanding of them

I was also thinking of doing the gm HEI module trick or converting this thing to a points ignition if possible, if anyone could point me in the right direction to get this thing running again and dependable as cheap as possible I would greatly appreciate it I’m kind of counting on this bike to get me around this summer and to get to work etc.

Anywho , that’s my story, now to share this awesome little tip with you guys and change your whole life in regards to wiring

Remember those little hot glue guns gramma use to have for arts and crafts? That glue is the best thing you could ever use to seal and insulate wires. Heat the glue stick with a torch and apply it to the wires in question. To be sure it’s sealed up put a little more heat to the glue after it’s on the wire and melt it in. Shrink wrap sucks. You don’t have to split the wires with hot glue and it seals better than anything I have ever seen.

Hope this helps you guys as much as it has me over the last couple years

Cheers from canada

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: Try this too and You’ll never use shrink wrap again

Post by hillsy v2 »

Some thoughts....

Igniter from mid to late 80s were all of similar circuitry. You could probably adapt the GL one to work on the VS but you would need to study the wiring diagrams for each to work out if it corresponds.

Changing to points? Seriously loads of work for no benefit. Where are you going to mount the points plate / rotor? The VS pick up coils are in with the stator in an oil bath.

Thanks for the glue gun tip. Won't replace heat shrink for me or change my life but I guess it's handy if you have an abraded wire that you need to insulate :mrgreen:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Try this tip and You’ll never use shrink wrap again

Post by Designer »

The 1400 TCI is connected to several Electrical Items, and they may not even have been on the Gold Wing.

Best to make an In-depth comparison of the two wiring diagrams and check this out before you go through all the work of making the 1400 connectors match the Gold Wings TCI.

Be aware that you have no way of knowing if the circuitry inside is that same as /compatible with, the 1400's. :space: Thus with all this, it's operation might not work well.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: Try this tip and You’ll never use shrink wrap again

Post by sgtcall »

Welcome!
Here are a couple of things to check out.

POSTING PICTURES ON INTRUDERS ALERT
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13992

INTRUDER MANUALS AND INFORMATION
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168

You may also want to check out this site run by another Canadian, he has some good information on the Intruder.
https://www.intruderalert.ca/indexa.htm
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.