1987Suzuki VS 1400 help what is this part ?

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
sHEPS
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Suzuki Vs1400

1987Suzuki VS 1400 help what is this part ?

Post by sHEPS »

Hi I have a 1987 Suzuki VS 1400
Can someone please help me what does this part do and can I replace it or do I not need it. I can't seem to find it on any parts diagram here are pictures attached. Any help with this part
https://i.postimg.cc/BbgJhVzT/IMG-2303.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/XNcN7rvr/IMG-2304.jpg

Many Thanks
Sheps

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: 1987Suzuki VS 1400 help what is this part ?

Post by navigator »

It appears to be a charcoal smog canister used on some California models.
Do the hoses go to the float vents on the carbs, or to the tank?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

What Navigator says :space: :ShitGrinandThumb:

IIRC, one of the hoses goes to the tank,...so as to collect the gasoline fumes from it instead of venting them to the outside world via the Cap,(as do almost every other 1400 )

I had this on the 1987 1400 I bought.:space: I just ripped all that shit out and capped the Tank outlet so it didn't leak.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

They call it a "canister". The later versions on the 1500 were plastic.

Be aware this vents into the carbs via the splitter #29. Also has a one way valve #4

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

So I think the big question now becomes, If you don't need the California BS can you just yank this thing out and run without it or would there be other changes you would need to make?
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Never mind I just saw what Designer posted. More detail on how to do it may help the OP.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

It's an evap canister. You can remove it and plug up the hoses. I beleive it was only put on Cali bikes at the time.

The 1500s had them as well - except they didn't vent back to the carb / intakes like this one does. It was just a charcoal canister that vented to the atmosphere.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Just make sure not to plug the vent hoses on each carb.
leave the loose end open, where it coonects to splitter #29.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

navigator wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:18 pm
Just make sure not to plug the vent hoses on each carb.
leave the loose end open, where it coonects to splitter #29.
There looks to be 2 hoses on these carbs - I would suspect the hose from the canister would go to the intake port and would need to be plugged if removed. The other would be the carb breather pipe. #32 or #47.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

My 99 had a hose from the tank, one from the 2 carb vents and one to the front cylinder vacuum port that also teed off to the boost sensor. I yanked the whole works out, ran the vacuum port to the boost sensor and put vent hoses on the carbs.

I don't think the 87 had the boost sensor so you don't need to worry about it.

Make sure the carbs are vented, cap the line out of the tank and the vacuum port, throw the junk away and ride.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Herb wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:11 pm
My 99 had a hose from the tank, one from the 2 carb vents and one to the front cylinder vacuum port that also teed off to the boost sensor. I yanked the whole works out, ran the vacuum port to the boost sensor and put vent hoses on the carbs.

I don't think the 87 had the boost sensor so you don't need to worry about it.

Make sure the carbs are vented, cap the line out of the tank and the vacuum port, throw the junk away and ride.
Herb is,...once gain,...Spot On as to what needs be done for successful removal.

This is what I did.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

sHEPS
Tricycles are Cool

Post by sHEPS »

Hi Thank you for all your help I’ve now ripped out all the California spec.
My only issue is the front cylinder is making a popping sound when running where is the pipe 13 supposed to be connected or is meant to be blocked off?

Thanks Ben

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

sHEPS wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:23 am
Hi Thank you for all your help I’ve now ripped out all the California spec.
My only issue is the front cylinder is making a popping sound when running where is the pipe 13 supposed to be connected or is meant to be blocked off? Thanks Ben
Youi are most welcome Ben. :space: We are here to help out our fellow Riders and you feedback helps this Board be better at that.

The #13 hose you mention is the Bowl vent Hose. :space: In Situ, it is often curved up-and-over the Air Intake Port of the Carb, the Spring being left at the point where the Hose attaches to the Bowl Vent Orifice..

sHEPS
Tricycles are Cool

Post by sHEPS »

Okay because when I blow through this pipe the bike will run on the front cylinder for a short time then drops down onto the rear cylinder only. Ive taken the carb apart many times cleaned all the jets even had a piece of pipe on the side to check the float bowl level for fuel which seems okay any ideas where to look next. Same compression on both cyclinders wet and dry
Thanks Ben

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

sHEPS wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:28 am
Okay because when I blow through this pipe the bike will run on the front cylinder for a short time then drops down onto the rear cylinder only. Ive taken the carb apart many times cleaned all the jets even had a piece of pipe on the side to check the float bowl level for fuel which seems okay any ideas where to look next. Same compression on both cyclinders wet and dry Thanks Ben
Wellsir,...I must say,...I've not heard of doing this "test" of that hose before.

However, since adding your Air Pressure to the Float Bowl ( by blowing into the hose) seems to indicate there's something amiss with the Float/Float Needle Valve/Float Level.

I might suggest you revisit Needle/Seat Cleanliness/Wear and freedom of movement and Float movement and Level Adjustment once again. :bow: