V800 has been sitting 2 years

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

V800 has been sitting 2 years

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

The reason it has sat, outside in the weather, could be a long story or a short one. I'll make it short, I couldn't get the DS (car) tire on the rim so I parked it thinking I would get back to it... never did. So a few weeks ago I went out to check and see how much work it needed to be put back in running condition. The first thing I found was the hand levers were frozen. Neither the brake or clutch level would move. So I guess the first thing I need to do is either rebuild the ones I have or buy new ones. While I am at it I might as well change the hoses also. Of course I already knew all the fluids would need to be changed. I just hope nothing else is frozen. Actually I am thinking on doing a complete once over stating at the front fender and checking everything all the way to the tag. I'll even repaint the tank a dull black and the fenders the same color. It is the Maroon grape right now, but needs painting since they really messed up the paint on the tank when they stole in 2015. I'll probably go with a MC (motorcycle) rear tire just to get the bike back on the road and then check into getting another DS tire or trading it off.

I need to get it in shape for riding so I can trade it in on a 650 Burgman scooter. I really hate to get rid of it since I have the Snowflake wheels and the 1400 rear end in it. That 1400 mod really cut down on the get up and go but amazingly boosted my mpg to around 65. I know it will need new tires front and back after sitting almost 3 years. The other thing is I put forward controls on it 2 days before I parked it. So I bet I don't have 20 miles riding on the bike with the controls on.
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: V800 has been sitting 2 years

Post by hillsy »

So do you mean the levers are frozen as in "frozen in ice" or frozen as in "seized up"? Either way it sounds like you need to strip down both MC's.

Can you get the bike inside somewhere to work on it? Nothing worse than having to work on a bike out in the elements IMO.

Good luck with it.

Enjoy the Burg if that comes through. They are really practical.....but suck if you have to get at anything under the covers.... :hellfire:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Re: V800 has been sitting 2 years

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

As seized up. I got the brake lever to move about halfway, but there wasn't any pressure on it. I have a carport I am going to enclose within a few months that will give me a covered place to work on it. If I am lucky it won't need heating. I was a dumbass for letting it get into this shape as it was a great little bike. Hell, I have over 100,000 miles on it without any work done to it. This will be all the work that has been done to it. The valves have never been worked on and only checked twice, it is a 1999 model.
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree: