Battery wiring

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
HDR
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1997 Suzuki Intruder vs800gl

Battery wiring

Post by HDR »

Evening Intruders!! Hope y'all had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. If you happen to not celebrate either and dislike the fact I mentioned it; ignore everything up to this word!!. ... I had a question about the wiring for the battery. It recently got stolen and I believe the person cut the wire so he could hot wire it. Anyways, as I was figuring out how to take off the rear tire to fix it(that was also damaged during the theft) I noticed a red wire that was sharply cut, hanging in between the rear tire and the metal frame of the bike. I'd looked at this area before and never saw that wire, so I didn't miss it before, it isn't an "extra wire". The guy who helps me with the bike, also agreed that he'd never seen it, this was done when it got stolen. So the end I can see, gets all the way to the battery. The the end i don't know. I gotta learn this thing and learn to ask for help from others with more knowledge and experience, as hard as that may be. So here I am. So my question is this. Looking that the wiring diagram I found online, which i couldn't find out how to include it on here😒. From the battery, the positive cable splits into 2 and goes to the starter relay, and the circuit breaker, correct? And the circuit breaker, is on the left side of the bike covered by the siding, correct? At least if i know this for sure, I can go from there. Thanks in advance, happy riding and be safe.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Battery wiring

Post by Herb »

You are correct about where the wire goes. Yes, it is the hot feed into the fuse box. finding where they cut it is another story.

see if this helps. The diagram is color coded and you can download it. It will take up to +175 magnification with minimal distortion.

BTW, the 1400 forum in the tech section has the manual, a PDF, pinned at the top and you can download it. It is a factory manual.

I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

The 800 tech forum also has a PDF manual with the wiring schematics.
This may be more helpful since you own a 800 not a 1400.
The '97 does not have a circuit breaker, but does have a fuse box which is fed hot from the battery.

HDR
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1997 Suzuki Intruder vs800gl

Post by HDR »

Thanks again navigator. Just yesterday finally i was able to get it going again..after replacing the battery, ignition switch, fuse box cover, side fairing, insurance and finding the bike itself after it was stolen. I was able to enjoy a nice cool ride at night. I kinda tagged along on a older conversation because the bike has some sputtering, like between 2nd and 3rd gear I'd say. And also the running lights, and turn signals are off sync. But it looks like you guys went over that just a few months ago I think. Seafoam added to the gas tank for st least 2 fill ups, if problem persists, check the jets, and carburator. I'll tell ya.. never in my life did i ever think of even riding on a motorcycle. Now I'm having to figure out how all these things work. Thanks again for your help, have a great week