Electrical Problem

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
Wild1
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1997 Suzuki Intruder 1400

Electrical Problem

Post by Wild1 »

I have a weird problem with my '97 Intruder 1400. If it sits for a few days it will not start unless it has been on a trickle charger. It seems that a full charge is required to start it. I have a brand new battery, I've replaced the rectifier and I just replaced the stator. I read an article that said if you have a volt meter on the battery terminals while running the engine and the reading is less than 12 volts then the stator is decharging the battery instead of charging it. That was the case before replacing the stator, but unfortunately that is still the case with the new one. Anyone have any ideas?
thanks,
David

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: Electrical Problem

Post by WintrSol »

Check the battery cables, and make sure they are clean and tight at both ends; this is especially important with the heavy black wire at the frame. Some battery terminals have small bolts that are about 1 thread too long, and don't really tighten the cables; star washers are a fix for this.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

What rectifier did you use? Some of the Chinese knockoffs on eBay are junk. Kinda important for these bikes as the charging system for these bikes can be marginal.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Wintersol's advice is good. Also, check every connection in the electrical system. Especially the ground wires.

On my 87 I had a charging issue but the checks on the stator and regulator were good. What I discovered was a bad connection on the ground wire to the regulator.

These bikes are VERY battery dependent, it the battery voltage drops below 10vdc, whole cranking, the spark plugs do not fire under compression.

When checking the battery terminals try moving them back and forth, there have been issues with the battery cable bolts being too long and bottoming out before the terminal is tight.

On my 99 it idles at about 13 vdc and about 13.5 at 3000 rpm.

In the manual there is a test for the stator that requires unplugging it from the rest of the electrical system and checking the voltage between legs. reading between legs it should be about 80 vac at 5000 rpm.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Wild1
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1997 Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by Wild1 »

Thanks for the input guys. I would have responded sooner, but for some reason I never received an email that there had been any replies posted to this topic and just now saw it. I will follow up on the great advice and let you know what I find out.
Thanks again,
:ShitGrinandThumb: