Check your nuts!

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
Squisher
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2003 Intruder 1400

Check your nuts!

Post by Squisher »

...And bolts. Seriously. Telling on myself a bit here. I'm really bad about "set it and forget it" and not re-checking things sometimes. The big twins the board is known for do have some vibrations - it's just the nature of big pistons moving up and down :)

But I was riding home from work the other day and felt something bounce off my boot - sorta like my front tire kicked up a rock. But I could have sworn it sounded metallic as it pinged off the footpeg/frame/whatever!

Quick check showed all the major components still attached, and it was still running fine so yay for me there. ~30 seconds or so later I noticed my windscreen was a little floppy - it was resting against the clutch reservoir and normally it's an inch or so forward of it.

Oh bother! The left-hand clamp for the windshield support had fallen off. :bonk:

I keep these little velcro cable organizers in my sissy-bar bag, so I was able to stop and tie the support to the barto keep it from flopping around on the way home; but now I have to order a new clamp. I run the SlipStreamer Enterprise II windshield - it's SO NICE but about the size of a barn door :lmao:. A quick "nut check" would have saved me the ~$20 replacement cost, and potentially more if the screen had decided to detach more...

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Re: Check your nuts!

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I have found that the less I ride my bike the less I have to worry about loose nuts. Haven't rode the bike in over two years and haven't had any loose nuts in that time. :ShitGrinandThumb: :space: :bow: :space: :lolfall:

Damn it is hell when you get old and bored. Is that the proper way to spell bored ? :blink:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Squisher
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2003 Intruder 1400

Re: Check your nuts!

Post by Squisher »

Bike usage went down precipitously for me too after Corona has me working from home. That little adventure was on the way home from work!

You're only bored when you don't even have a board to play with :bonk: