Old Brake Hardware

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
Slimchuckles
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1986 VS700

Old Brake Hardware

Post by Slimchuckles »

Any of you guys ever resurface a brake piston? The cylinder is in good shape but the piston has some deep pitting that a polish won’t quite solve. Is there a metal filler compatible with brake fluid? Thanks.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Old Brake Hardware

Post by hillsy »

Slimchuckles wrote:Any of you guys ever resurface a brake piston? The cylinder is in good shape but the piston has some deep pitting that a polish won’t quite solve. Is there a metal filler compatible with brake fluid? Thanks.
I've heard of people filling pitting on fork stanchions with epoxy, but I think that's only because new forks are quite costly.

Could be worth a try though.

But it's really not that expensive to get either a new or another caliper piston.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Brakes are life saving equipment, you really do not want to compromise them for the sake if a few bucks.
Your life, do with it as you please.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

tarza
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2005 S50 Boulevard

Post by tarza »

70 % of your braking comes from the disc in front. Just bite the bullet and get a new one. Funeral‘s cost around $10000.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

tarza wrote:70 % of your braking comes from the disc in front. Just bite the bullet and get a new one. Funeral‘s cost around $10000.
Yeah, but someone else has to pay it...

If the seal area is good the piston can have some pitting as long as it doesn't make it too small for the bore. I would never try to fill in pits because the filler could come loose and screw it up.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.