Rocket III Touring

Click to Enter!
jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Rocket III Touring

Post by jonnycando »

Joining the Triumph world. Bought a 2013 Rocket 3 Touring. I had known of the bike when the dealer first acquired it. The PO put a full Jardine exhaust on and has had the ECU flashed to set up a suitable fuel map. Got Corbin Dual Tour seat already too! Tons of chrome bits from the Triumph catalog, and a Zumo mount. I was prepared to trade my Intruder but my Credit Union picked up the loan and did not make me give it up. Garage is filling up! It's black and white. Pictures soon.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Re: Rocket III Touring

Post by jonnycando »

As it sat in dealership, I am picking it up today.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

Congrats, you joined the European bike coalition. (Hopefully you got shown the secret handshake. :wink: )

Every European bike has there own downfalls. BMW it's the electrical system. I hear Triumph is the fuel system.

Anyway, keep the shiny side up. The Rocket is a behemoth for sure.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

It is a Bentley Continental Turbo R, to the Intruder's Ford Mustang......two utterly dissimilar bikes. I took my Intruder out to put gas in today after flogging the Triumph....night and day difference. I shall hang onto them both.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

98VS1400 wrote:CONGRATULATIONS!!!

:cheers: Here's to miles of smiles!

(Oh, and the only problem with my Triumph's fuel system is the strong desire it has for MORE fuel!)
Poor fuel economy! I knew there was something.

:lmao:

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

First fill revealed 38 mpg over varied roads. some highway, some in town. Can't see as it will be much different from the Intruder.

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Congrats! Enjoy! :bow:
lovineveryminuteofit

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

It so happens that the Rocket 3 among several Triumph bikes of the modern age, use the engine as a stressed member. You don't have the typical hoop frame, into which the engine would be tucked. This makes using the usual two rail bike lift difficult to nigh impossible. For you don't want to put significant weight on the engine sump, being as it is cast aluminum. But if you try to position your lift so it minimizes weight on the sump, the bike is way off balance, and it's hard to find a place to put the other rail. A company over the mountain in Bedford makes lifting brackets for Triumph, and they have four or five kits for Thunderbirds and Rockets. As Triumph makes runnning changes in bike layout, these brackets have to evolve. Before the maker can produce a new bracket though he needs a sample bike to measure. So it is, that when I get a chance I am going to ride over there and he is going to measure mine since he lacks complete data, and my bike will help! And I might get a tidy discount for the product that results!

http://jack-be-quick.com/jack-shop/riii-r/

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

jonnycando wrote:It so happens that the Rocket 3 among several Triumph bikes of the modern age, use the engine as a stressed member. You don't have the typical hoop frame, into which the engine would be tucked. This makes using the usual two rail bike lift difficult to nigh impossible. For you don't want to put significant weight on the engine sump, being as it is cast aluminum. But if you try to position your lift so it minimizes weight on the sump, the bike is way off balance, and it's hard to find a place to put the other rail. A company over the mountain in Bedford makes lifting brackets for Triumph, and they have four or five kits for Thunderbirds and Rockets. As Triumph makes runnning changes in bike layout, these brackets have to evolve. Before the maker can produce a new bracket though he needs a sample bike to measure. So it is, that when I get a chance I am going to ride over there and he is going to measure mine since he lacks complete data, and my bike will help! And I might get a tidy discount for the product that results!

So it's a longitudinally opposed belly bracket. I'm guessing one could be fabricated if so inclined.

Joe A
Learning My Moped
My Bike: The Legendary Classic

Post by Joe A »

Rockets are awesome, I almost bought one last year. Hold on tight - that thing's a beast!

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

I have about 1000 miles running on it now...the way it's set up, it's tame as a pussy cat until you twist the grip all the way back...then Katy bar the door!

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

enforcer wrote:
jonnycando wrote:It so happens that the Rocket 3 among several Triumph bikes of the modern age, use the engine as a stressed member. You don't have the typical hoop frame, into which the engine would be tucked. This makes using the usual two rail bike lift difficult to nigh impossible. For you don't want to put significant weight on the engine sump, being as it is cast aluminum. But if you try to position your lift so it minimizes weight on the sump, the bike is way off balance, and it's hard to find a place to put the other rail. A company over the mountain in Bedford makes lifting brackets for Triumph, and they have four or five kits for Thunderbirds and Rockets. As Triumph makes runnning changes in bike layout, these brackets have to evolve. Before the maker can produce a new bracket though he needs a sample bike to measure. So it is, that when I get a chance I am going to ride over there and he is going to measure mine since he lacks complete data, and my bike will help! And I might get a tidy discount for the product that results!

So it's a longitudinally opposed belly bracket. I'm guessing one could be fabricated if so inclined.
Possibly, but I am no machinist...I support local business, and I like having a warranty!

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

And I am already replacing bits....arrrrgh.....whilst out carving up roads with my nephew, a dump truck ahead kicked up a rock....I thought it hit the hiway bar and glanced off.....turns out it was the chrome radiator cover. Put a nice little crack in it Good thing it comes in three pieces, and I only need one piece, which the Hinckley factory is going to drop ship!

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

My bike has been serving as the prototyping horse for that jacking adapter. The final design is ready I think and might be on the website soon. I might be wearing the final prototype permanently before long. And I put 2 inch risers on the handle bar....gives more up/down adjustability range and brings them a little closer to me.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Viragos were made that way and the great old Black shadows and its kin were way back.