Cafe racer time

Click to Enter!
enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Cafe racer time

Post by enforcer »

So now that I'm less and less optimistic about selling the Beemer, I'm more optimistic about turning it into a cafe racer. So, essentially this...

Into this...

Obviously, not that involved, but still a good finished product. Black stock wheels, no fairing, crash bars, or bags, new headlight, handlebars and mirrors, possibly a new speedo and odo (maybe just a handlebar mount for a GPS with built in speedo software or just a new mount for the old one). What do ya think? Not sure I'm capable of it and ideas are encouraged, but I think I just need a push to do it. I just don't want it to sit for another year until I "get around to it".
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Re: Cafe racer time

Post by enforcer »

98VS1400 wrote:Cool idea, Dennis. I wouldn't complain about seeing this transformation. I like it much better than the bobbers everyone does.
Honestly Keith, I really like that look of the one I posted, but that was built by a guy who designs race cars, thus way out of my skill set. And it's a K100 not a K1100, but they're very similar. Even the drivetrains swap. I would like to swap the kick stand to the other side like that bike, so that the oil stays out of cylinders when parked for a little while. I'd say I've got my work ahead of me.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

98VS1400 wrote:I think it would be fun to experiment/learn how to do things like this mod, and maybe one day if I get extra time & money, I'll search out something to work on. What you want to do seems entirely possible though, especially since you have a bike that is reasonably easy to modify, insomuch that it basically is the same machine at it's roots. I've read threads on other forums where guys have taken older Beemers and really did some amazing stuff with them. I guess like anything, you have to be willing to dive in and take the chance.

Swapping that sidestand out seems like a very good idea. When I had Jim's bike for a month last year, I parked it on the sidestand because it was too much of a beast to regularly park on the center stand. The first time it sat for a few days, I about freaked when it started smoking up a storm when I started it. I sent Jim a message on the computer (he was in Saudi) and told him I think I did something to his motorcycle. I was prepared to be the new proud owner of one useless R1150GS! Fortunately, he asked me if I parked it on the sidestand and left it there for a few days. When I said I did, he told me the problem. Lesson learned. The remainder of the time I had it, I heaved it up on the center stand, or I rode it every day.

I guess that's one problem with Boxer engines! Otherwise, fairly bulletproof.

Hey, I just thought of something. Does your bike have the telelever suspension? I wonder what that would like on a cafe bike? Now I have to go looking for some pictures to see if there is one out there. I wish BMW didn't have a patent on that telelever suspension. I really liked it.
No telelever, but there is a monoshock, single sided swingarm. I think that should look pretty nice naked. The front fairing is my biggest challenge. A lot to relocate, rewire or replace. I need a new block for all my idiot lights if I choose to ditch the oversized stock one, which just looks gaudy. Wheels are spinning, just need to get wrenching and cutting.

I've all but given up on anyone being interested in it, as it sits. I've been told it's a "high mileage, old man bike". Whatever. I'll make it cool again.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

Well, you got this idea in your head....go for it. BUT, go crazy, don't copy any pictures you've seen. Instead, take pictures of what you do, and show them to us! Make it a one off reflection of your own mind! :cheers:

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

The fairing and side panels are going. I need to find or fab a radiator grill. I found a replacement speedo, tach, idiot lights all in one. Found a headlight with half moon turn signal rings. Otherwise, I'll go with grips with built in indicators. Still need to decide what type of mirrors and bars I want. Then I'm either relocating the ignition key or making a hidden ignition switch.

I'm not planning on copying anyone, but that bike I posted above is a good reference point to the direction I'm heading. I'm pretty stoked as I already love the current color, but haven't decided whether to keep the pannier mounts. They definitely come in handy and without the fairing glove box and rear cowl storage, I'm going to need something. Maybe figure a way to mount one of my left over cheapo saddlebags as a swingarm bag.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

Unless you intend to do your grocery shopping on this bike, I don't think the saddlebag mounts need to stay, especially as the riding position of a cafe bike doesn't lend itself to long hours of touring.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

jonnycando wrote:Unless you intend to do your grocery shopping on this bike, I don't think the saddlebag mounts need to stay, especially as the riding position of a cafe bike doesn't lend itself to long hours of touring.
There's really just an upper rail they have from then the lower latch locks to the peg bracket. It seems tedious and not really worth it to remove them.

Plus, I've seen some enduros with panniers and they really don't look bad.

I'm really going for a cafe/standard/sport bike hybrid. Elements I really like about each that I'm going to incorporate. I'm just going to make it look cafe. No clubman or clip on bars, but I'm ditching the ones on there now in favor of a more leaned over style, perhaps bars from an RS vs the LT ones on there now.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

OK, that's making some sense now....and it definitely deserves some pictures of progress!

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

So, yeah, I kinda abandoned this idea. Little things started coming up and I just don't want to be without a bike this year. The Harley need primary work (crossing my fingers it's not the compensator and I'm still waiting for parts to fix it.) She's sold on eBay. For 3 times the money I have in her (including parts, insurance, taxes and registration fees). But that's a story for another thread.