Fuel pump

Look here first if you are looking for a specific bike.
If you find what you're looking for, click the link.
homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 96 intruder vs800glAT

Fuel pump

Post by homieedoo1 »

Does anyone know anything about mis-wired after market fuel pumps. The fuel pump I received was not wired right. Color on the after market fuel pump wires does not match the ones on my 96 vs800 intruder. The fuel pump does not work

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: Fuel pump

Post by sgtcall »

You can pull your wiring diagram here.
INTRUDER MANUALS AND INFORMATION
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168

And try posting a couple of pictures of the old and new pump.
POSTING PICTURES ON INTRUDERS ALERT
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13992
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

homieedoo1 wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:44 pm
Does anyone know anything about mis-wired after market fuel pumps. The fuel pump I received was not wired right. Color on the after market fuel pump wires does not match the ones on my 96 vs800 intruder. The fuel pump does not work
Most aftermaket fuel pumps are just 2 wires (+ve and -ve). You should connect the wires to a battery source to see if the pump cycles (don't run it dry for too long).

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:44 pm
Lets start at the beginning,......what are the colors of the wires on your Fuel Pump?

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling

Post by homieedoo1 »

The after market fuel pump is a four wire and the color of the wires does not match the wiring on my intruders fuel pump plug. For one thing the yellow with green tracer is in a totally different place on the after market fuel pump plug. The yellow with green tracer is the hot wire for the fuel pump. Thank you. I have a wiring diagram. The color of the other 3 wires is totally different from my fuel pump wiring colors or I could just change the wires color for color..

homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling

Post by homieedoo1 »

The color of fuel pump wires are yellow with green tracer, black with white trace brown with looks like yellow trace and orange with yellow trace

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Four wires is kinda odd! :blink: :space: Are they in pairs? :space: :uhh:

I'd start a Direct-Battery-Connect Test by assuming the Black/white Wire is a ground.
And then try hooking up each of the others to the Positive Battery Terminal.

see what you get.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

It appears as though the 800 has an internal relay where the 1400 has an external relay. If your wires are different colors on the repalcement pump you are going to have real fun (NOT) trying to figure this out.

I won't even try to guide you on this without being there with hands on. It will be all trial and error. I will say that the ground will probably also be grounded to the case.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling

Post by homieedoo1 »

The replacement pump has a yellow w/green tracer and has a black wire. Those are the same as my fuel pump wiring but they are in different locations then my connector. Then there is a red wire and a yellow wire. Those I am not sure about. I have 4 pin molex connectors and molex pins. Also a molex pin crimping tool. Just have to find out where the red and yellow wires go..Any ideas how to find out? Thanks for any help

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:18 pm
The replacement pump has a yellow w/green tracer and has a black wire. Those are the same as my fuel pump wiring but they are in different locations then my connector. Then there is a red wire and a yellow wire. Those I am not sure about. I have 4 pin molex connectors and molex pins. Also a molex pin crimping tool. Just have to find out where the red and yellow wires go..Any ideas how to find out? Thanks for any help
"conventional" DC wiring would have the +ve as the red wire, and the -ve as the black. Maybe try those two on a remote battery to see if the pump operates? If they do then you could probably bypass the relay side of it - you just need switchable power to run the pump but maybe Nav can chime in on that as he owns a few 800's.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:39 pm
The after market fuel pump is a four wire and the color of the wires does not match the wiring on my intruders fuel pump plug. For one thing the yellow with green tracer is in a totally different place on the after market fuel pump plug. The yellow with green tracer is the hot wire for the fuel pump. Thank you. I have a wiring diagram. The color of the other 3 wires is totally different from my fuel pump wiring colors or I could just change the wires color for color..
What is your pump supposed to fit??
Can you post the make and part number

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

According to my wiring diagram the power from the fuse is Orange/yellow. Yellow green comes from the start switch to the clutch switch and then to the fuel pump and the start relay/ Black white is the ground and black yellow goes to the ignitor box.

Not sure how the internals work but I would say that the one from the start switch is to trigger the pump to work while cranking and the one from the ignitor box keeps it on while the engine is running. Without taking the pump apart I cannot tell you any more about the internal relay and how it works or how to get the replacement to work.

It may be for a different year or model.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Just a thought.

Many parts that fit a number of years/models will either advertise all that they fit or the packaging will have that information. If so you might be able to find a wiring diagram for some of the different models and find one that has the same wire colors and locate them by where they go.

homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling

Post by homieedoo1 »

Ok for now I had a two wire fuel pump. I wired a switch to it and it runs. Just have to remember to switch it off at the end a ride. This gives me time to try to figure it out. Thank you all for your input. You all made me think :confused: :ahha: I bought the four wire pump off eBay and because I had it for more then 30 days I can't return it. My intruder has been a work in progress for the last 3 years. It runs and it runs great. Took off the air boxes, installed pods w/foam...works great. Last thing is to sync carbs. Got motion pro brass tubes and vacuum gauges and got adjustable air reducers for a fish tank. I hope this works. Anyway I replaced clutch frictions and steels and spring's. Now when I get on it the clutch slips. I used valveoline motor cycle oil....Don't know. I learn a lot from intruders alert forum. When I get stuck. You guy's put πŸ‘ good ideas in my head and make me πŸ€” think. I want to thank you all for your time and knowledge. Could not have done it without you. Talk to you soon, I'm sure.....

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:27 pm
Last thing is to sync carbs. Got motion pro brass tubes and vacuum gauges and got adjustable air reducers for a fish tank. I hope this works.
The usual problem when people make complicated manometers with many joins is that there are multiple places for the system to suck in air and render the tool useless.

For a twin engine there is nothing easier and unlikely to give false readings than a single tube with oil in it. It's a no brainer for a twin because you have two ends and no possibility for leaks. If you are really worried about sucking the oil out of one side you could tap in the fish tank reducer where the oil is.

homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling

Post by homieedoo1 »

This is for Herb. This four wire fuel pump . It was advertised to fit 1992-2004 vs800 intruders. I understand what your saying. Orange w/ yellow trace supplies power to fuel pump. Green w/yellow trace is for safety switches, black is ground.I just reached the point two days ago to install the fuel pump. I bought it in may. Beyond the 30 day time frame eBay has. I told them it was defective from the day I received it. Just didn't know it till two days ago. The vendor I got it from will not answer my messages. So I asked eBay to step in. They said their hands are tied. 30 day rule.I've spent thousands on eBay. Trying to restore this 30 year old bike. Rules are rules I'm sorry about going on. This really pissed me off. Anyway thanks Herb for your input. This will help a lot.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:27 pm
Ok for now I had a two wire fuel pump. I wired a switch to it and it runs. Just have to remember to switch it off at the end a ride. This gives me time to try to figure it out.
My relay went bad and I jumpered the relay connector so the pump only runs with the key on. According to the wiring diagram the fuse for the pump is only powered when the key is on. You should be able to use the fused hot wire to power the 2 wire pump and it will be shut off when you turn the key off.

That would take the chance of forgetting and leaving it on out of the equation.

At my age I have to do everything I can to make things automatic so I don't forget.

A few days ago I came home from a ride and while putting it in neutral I killed the engine, got off and walked away. got in the house and realized I hadn't turned the key off... :ahha: