Turn signals&running lamps

Look here first if you are looking for a specific bike.
If you find what you're looking for, click the link.
homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 96 intruder vs800glAT

Turn signals&running lamps

Post by homieedoo1 »

Is any of the turn signal/ running lights wiring routed through the headlight for connection purposes Thanks for ur time.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Turn signals&running lamps

Post by navigator »

Both front turn signals/running lights, are connected in the headlight bucket.
remove two screws from the BACK of the headlight bucket, not the front screws, unplug the headlamp and the rest is apparent.

homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling

Post by homieedoo1 »

Thank you Navigator. That is my next place to check. I have no rear turn signals and did replace my headlight pigtail with a ceramic one. Thanks again

homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling

Post by homieedoo1 »

Yes I have one more question, what size are the coolant hoses on a 96 vs800 intruder. Thank you for ur time..

homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling

Post by homieedoo1 »

Thank you Navigator. That is my next place to check. I have no rear turn signals and did replace my headlight pigtail with a ceramic one. Thanks again

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Only the front turn signals connections are in the headlight bucket, the rear turn signals connect in the large black boot under the seat, near the rear fender, the wires run under the CDI, then through the fender near the seat loop mount, and under the fender to the lamps. They are turn only, not running lights.

Only a guess, but the coolant lines are 3/4" or 5/8"

homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling

Post by homieedoo1 »

Thank you for the comeback and info. Yea been there( the boot) on the rear fender. The green and black/white for L/R and black/white and black for R/ R winkers. I get no emf right there at those single connectors in the half boot. The winkers on the front and running lamps wink and run fine. Stop and taillight are good...

homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling

Post by homieedoo1 »

Yea saw that the rear bulbs were only single filaments.Is it possible to tap into the front in the headlight bucket connectors. Bring just one wire from each side and use the b/w common to both

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Go here for manuals and wiring diagrams.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8syats8c2vgp ... 2cEja?dl=0

Looking at the diagram it appears that there is connection points for the rear blinkers in the headlight bucket. Power comes from the switch down to connections that run to the front and then there is no connection until the plugs on the rear fender. Since the taillight works the common is good at the back.

Your problem is probably in the headlight bucket.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

homieedoo1 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:20 am
Yea saw that the rear bulbs were only single filaments.Is it possible to tap into the front in the headlight bucket connectors. Bring just one wire from each side and use the b/w common to both
You could do that, run extra wires.
Did you check the flasher?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Herb wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:17 am

Looking at the diagram it appears that there is connection points for the rear blinkers in the headlight bucket. Power comes from the switch down to connections that run to the front and then there is no connection until the plugs on the rear fender. Since the taillight works the common is good at the back.

The rear signal connections are NOT in the headlight bucket.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

navigator wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:20 pm
Herb wrote:

Then it is a whole lot different than the wiring diagram shows. The power comes from the T/S switch to a point in the headlight bucket and ties into the T/S wiring going to the front lights and to the rear lights with a connection at the rear fender. it is a straight shot from the headlight bucket to the rear fender
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Herb wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:28 pm
navigator wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:20 pm
Herb wrote:

Then it is a whole lot different than the wiring diagram shows. The power comes from the T/S switch to a point in the headlight bucket and ties into the T/S wiring going to the front lights and to the rear lights with a connection at the rear fender. it is a straight shot from the headlight bucket to the rear fender
The front and rear indicators on each side are connected to the same wiring / circuit as the wiring diagram will show, however the connectors for the rear are not located in the headlight bucket.

In other words the wiring diagram is not the same as a wiring / component location diagram.

homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling

Post by homieedoo1 »

Found the problem the black/ white wire in the harness that goes to the rear blinkers had a break in it. New problem. Has anyone taken apart the start switch? Mine was not working. Took it apart and found a couple extra wires.orange/white wire not connected to anything. Also a white/black wire not connected to anything. They were in the housing for the start switch/throttle housing. Any ideas...Stumped in Las vegas

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

The orange/white wire goes to the Start switch and the yellow/green is on the other side. The white/black appears to go to the front brake lighte switch.

homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling

Post by homieedoo1 »

Yes sir you are correct. Ok there is an extra orange/white and the wire I thought was white/black is grey/black. They are is the same harness as the as the orange/ white and yellow/ green. I'll call it the start/kill harness and it goes into the handle bars. I pulled the momitary
contact rocker switch out cleaned and reset the spring so the small end went over the stub on the rocker. Tested and got continuity when pushed between the o/w and y/g solder points on the back of the switch when the starter relay was unplugged. Plugged the starter relay back and turned the key on, pulled in clutch,kick stand up,neutral light on pushed the start switch,nothing..checked clutch switch,kick stand wiring,relay...relay clicks when I turn on key. There is the o/w wire loose in the start/kill harness. It has to be the jumper wire to the kill switch.I cannot see where it was ever connected to the o/w solder points on back of the switch. I know what to look for. The extra gray/black stripe wire doesn't compute

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

looking at the wiring diagram there is a white/black wire that goes to the front brake light switch. It is actually power out of the switch.

homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling

Post by homieedoo1 »

Ok let me get this right. Your saying they are using W/B as the pathway to bike ground. All electrical devices on the bike use B/W as common or bike ground. Not frame ground. So for the pathway to the starter relay(coil), to be complete, there needs to be a B/W at the end of the rainbow and there is at the starter relay connector. The other side of the field is mostly Y/G through the clutch switch and side stand relay, nutural switch, starter switch

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

homieedoo1 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:23 am
Ok let me get this right. Your saying they are using W/B as the pathway to bike ground. All electrical devices on the bike use B/W as common or bike ground. Not frame ground. So for the pathway to the starter relay(coil), to be complete, there needs to be a B/W at the end of the rainbow and there is at the starter relay connector. The other side of the field is mostly Y/G through the clutch switch and side stand relay, nutural switch, starter switch
The common ground for everything is the black with white tracer on it.

I thought that you said the brake and tail light worked, but the T/S lites and the brake/tail lites have the same ground.

Not quite. the coils get power from the o/w wire. Each coil has another wire that goes to the ignitor box which provides the ground until the box breaks the ground to fire the plug. The ignitor box varies the timing depending on load and RPMs.

In the drop box there is a wiring diagram that is color coded and you can download it. The manual is also available for download and it does have a discription of the ignition system and how it works. Not real detailed but useful.