Front air box

Look here first if you are looking for a specific bike.
If you find what you're looking for, click the link.
homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 96 intruder vs800glAT

Front air box

Post by homieedoo1 »

How do you remove/install the front air box on a 96 vs800 intruder

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: Front air box

Post by sgtcall »

homieedoo1 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:33 pm
How do you remove/install the front air box on a 96 vs800 intruder
Welcome!
Here are a couple of things to check out.

POSTING PICTURES ON INTRUDERS ALERT
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13992

INTRUDER MANUALS AND INFORMATION
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168

If the 800 is the same as the 1400 you have to pull the tank and front side covers, then move some wiring and lines out of the way, pull the couple of bolts that hold it in place and shimmy it out. Not really hard but kind of a PIA.

[YoutubeURL][/YoutubeURL]
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

with a lot of cussing and prying, after you remove the gas tank mount and the steering head covers.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling

Post by homieedoo1 »

Ok after removing and pushing wiring and lines to the side wich way does the air box come out. Through the top of the frame or through the front by the radiator or do I remove the engine. I am stuck :bang:

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

homieedoo1 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:39 pm
Ok after removing and pushing wiring and lines to the side wich way does the air box come out. Through the top of the frame or through the front by the radiator or do I remove the engine. I am stuck :bang:
On my 1400 it would come out either from the top or, if I removed the oil cooler, from the front. Not sure if the 800 is the same but I am sure Herb can tell you.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

sgtcall wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:25 pm
homieedoo1 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:39 pm
On my 1400 it would come out either from the top or, if I removed the oil cooler, from the front. Not sure if the 800 is the same but I am sure Herb can tell you.
I am not sure of the 800, I have only owned 1400s but considering that the 2 are pretty closely related I would imagine that they are close in difficuty. Considering that he is asking for help I would say it is really close.

Like I said. a lot of prying and cussing and mine came out from the top.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

The front air box on the 800's will only come out when the engine is removed from the frame. Unless you get the Dremmel out and butcher it.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling

Post by homieedoo1 »

Thank you...glad someone knows how to do it. Instead of guessing

homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling

Post by homieedoo1 »

Ok how about removing the sub frame on the right side. The arm that is removable by removing the four Allen bolts and sliding it in the front above the fan housing. I just got the engine back in and noticed the air box in the bottom of a box I kept the parts in I removed. I pulled the engine cause the engine was back firing through the tail pipe. I did a compression check and the front cylinder had 90 lbs, the rear had 115 lbs. I thought the exhaust valves were warped. So pulled the engine only to find both exhaust valves were way out of adjustment. No play what so ever and we're not closing. Reinstalled the engine and noticed the air box in the bottom of my parts box. Now hoping I don't have to pull the engine again. I am 71 years old.and It was a nightmare getting it back in

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

homieedoo1 wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:40 pm
Thank you...glad someone knows how to do it. Instead of guessing
We guess because it keeps your thread moving in the algorithm giving you a better chance of being seen by someone that may know something better or have new information. Active threads are more likely to be noticed. But no issue can just let it fall into the nether regions of the board never to be seen again.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

You could use pods with socks. works well for me and no re-jet required:

homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling

Post by homieedoo1 »

:bow: Now we're getting somewhere, could you tell me what company made ur pods. Are they 36mm and about the foam u have covering them. Did u have to adjust a/f screws ?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

The pods I got off E-Bay, You will need to measure your carbs as I can't remember, a vernier caliper comes in very handy if you are going to do your own wrenching. The foam is 1/2" filter foam from my local autostore. You will be best served to do a carb synch and AF adjustment as a final tune up.

Look here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4139

homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling

Post by homieedoo1 »

On the front carb, won't the pod hit the gas tank?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

It's a bit of a snug fit in the tunnel but I had no problems.

homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling

Post by homieedoo1 »

Could I ask you what did you do with the cables that were attached to the front air box?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Cable ties and a little rearranging. I also fitted a new spedo/tach assembly for these cables I used electrical heat shrink tube. The throttle cable splitter is still hanging but making a mounting bracket is not a big job.

homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling

Post by homieedoo1 »

Thank You for ur help and time. I ordered e-bay pods(50mm). I removed the right sub.frame and still couldn't squeeze the front filter housing home. I'm not taking that engine out again. :dunno: The situation made the decision for me...Thanks Again Lechy

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Don't forget to cover the pods with filter foam, this is to emulate the drag caused by the airboxes and OEM filters which cause a slight negative pressure in the venturi necessary for the correct operation of CV carbs.
Hope it works out for you.

homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling

Post by homieedoo1 »

Will due...Thanks