1999 suzuki intruder vl1500

Look here first if you are looking for a specific bike.
If you find what you're looking for, click the link.
Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: 1999 suzuki intruder vl1500

Post by Designer »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:54 pm
Nothing is "clear" here. :space: We don't know what shape his carbs are in and whether there are aftermarket needles in them.
So sorry,...but there ARE things that are clear here. :space: And what is underlined below is quite clear based on Facts and what has been reported herein;
Designer wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:01 pm
Pardon,...but the Physics a Needle and Jet interaction while laying down in these Carbs is the same. That the Needle Jet(s) on the 1500 are pressed in has nothing to do with the rate at which they can get ovaled by the Needle.

And that you mention the 1500 Jets can possible be in need of replacement at 40,000 miles is almost Twice the mileage of what Btrey 554 has. And he reports no symptom of poor MPG at his 22,000 miles.

So it pretty clear he has about 20,000 more Good Miles of Riding before him needing to spend some big $$$ on replacement.
So please, refrain from posting Overly Genialized False Assertions such as that. :space: Such Globalized Misstatements have no place here when our Goal is to be helping Our Fellow Riders.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Designer wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:49 am
hillsy v2 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:54 pm
Nothing is "clear" here. :space: We don't know what shape his carbs are in and whether there are aftermarket needles in them.
So sorry,...but there ARE things that are clear here. :space: And what is underlined below is quite clear based on Facts and what has been reported herein;
Designer wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:01 pm
Pardon,...but the Physics a Needle and Jet interaction while laying down in these Carbs is the same. That the Needle Jet(s) on the 1500 are pressed in has nothing to do with the rate at which they can get ovaled by the Needle.

And that you mention the 1500 Jets can possible be in need of replacement at 40,000 miles is almost Twice the mileage of what Btrey 554 has. And he reports no symptom of poor MPG at his 22,000 miles.

So it pretty clear he has about 20,000 more Good Miles of Riding before him needing to spend some big $$$ on replacement.
So please, refrain from posting Overly Genialized False Assertions such as that. :space: Such Globalized Misstatements have no place here when our Goal is to be helping Our Fellow Riders.
Dude - stop posting shit about things you don't know about.

VS carbs are not LC carbs. Different animal. Totally.

LC carbs have needle jet seat issues. Enough that someone started a business fixing them. Gary has the tools and the expertise to fix them.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:00 am
Dude - stop posting shit about things you don't know about.
VS carbs are not LC carbs. Different animal. Totally.
Dude,..I have have worked on several 1500s. :space: I am currently maintaining one of my Riding buddy's 1500 (for over 11 years now) and was the one who installed his Carb Upgrade from Gman,...along with what I learned from what several 1500 Riders Experiences were on the Purple Board. :space: And,...unlike you,..have owned 4 1400's and worked on and many more. :space: Thus showing I more than know the differences between the two bikes Carbs .

So much for your claim I don't know what I am talking about. :uhh:

Now,...as to the point I have Made Clear is that the PHYSICS of a Needle wearing on the Jet of a tiled Carburetor is IDENTICAL.... not matter what the Carb is. :space: Thus,...my comparison of the Tilted Front Carb on a 1400 to the 1500 Carbs made here is viable;
Designer wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:29 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:22 pm
This is an LC - carbs are racked togther and both lay down. Totally different animal to the 1400.
Both Herb and I are aware for this.

However, there Is a "layed down" Carburetor on the 1400 in a nearly identical position to the 1500 paired Carbs (that being: the Front one) . :space: And that is the "bench mark" Carb I used for gauging the need to replace the Needle Jets at 65,000 miles. :space: I know there were several 1500 owners on the Purple board who have gone similar distance without any needle/jet issues.

Up until about then, there was no need to do so.
You just don't want to agree. :dunno:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

If you don't know about the needle jet issues with the LC you are of no help in this thread.

Putting some new jets in a set of LC carbs is lovely but it's irrelevant.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I don't know what the big deal is, he is an adult and if he thinks it will help stop arguing about it.

My comment about how long mine has gone is just for reference, not trying to convince anyone about right or wrong of the idea.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Herb wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:58 pm
I don't know what the big deal is, he is an adult and if he thinks it will help stop arguing about it.

My comment about how long mine has gone is just for reference, not trying to convince anyone about right or wrong of the idea.
It wouldn't be a big deal if people who dont know the weaknesses of the bike would stop trying to argue with people who do.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:32 pm
If you don't know about the needle jet issues with the LC you are of no help in this thread. Putting some new jets in a set of LC carbs is lovely but it's irrelevant.
Yes, I do know about the 1500 Carb issues you mentioned.

I just told you that I maintain my Riding Buddy's 1500,...and that I have worked on his Carbs, ( I had inspected them before sending them off to Gman for Performance Upgrade he wanted) ....and that I learned alot from what several 1500 Riders Experiences were on the Purple Board.

Why do you insist on posting ignorant of what WAS JUST SAID to you?

Please hillsy,...don't Drag Down YET ANOTHER Tech Thread with more of your Misstatements and False Assertions.

We are here ..TO HELP OTHERS.....not bicker about things,.... so you try to appear like you are The Expert about a subject,...and posting falsely ignorance to do so,......as you keep doing.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Designer wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:30 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
If you don't know about the needle jet issues with the LC you are of no help in this thread. Putting some new jets in a set of LC carbs is lovely but it's irrelevant.
Yes, I do know about the 1500 Carb issues you mentioned.

I just told you that I maintain my Riding Buddy's 1500,...and that I have worked on his Carbs, ( I had inspected them before sending them off to Gman for Performance Upgrade he wanted) ....and that I learned alot from what several 1500 Riders Experiences were on the Purple Board.

Why do you insist on posting ignorant of what WAS JUST SAID to you?

Please hillsy,...don't Drag Down YET ANOTHER Tech Thread with more of your Misstatements and False Assertions.

We are here ..TO HELP OTHERS.....not bicker about things,.... so you try to appear like you are The Expert about a subject,...and posting falsely ignorance to do so,......as you keep doing.
Unreal.

So now you're changing your story to how you knew all along about the needle jet issues on the 1500??

:bs:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Unreal. So now you're changing your story to how you knew all along about the needle jet issues on the 1500??
I haven't changed anything. :space: As I Have already Told you,...I have known about the 1500 jet problems for years now. :space: :dunno:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13973&start=22

But, instead of acknowledging my TELLING you that twice already ( see the link just above),.. Now We see you are making up EVEN MORE False Assertion that...."I Changed My Story" ......trying to evade facing what I said here:
Designer wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:30 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
Yes, I do know about the 1500 Carb issues you mentioned. I just told you that I maintain my Riding Buddy's 1500,...and that I have worked on his Carbs, ( I had inspected them before sending them off to Gman for Performance Upgrade he wanted) ....and that I learned alot from what several 1500 Riders Experiences were on the Purple Board.
Why do you insist on posting ignorant of what WAS JUST SAID to you? Please hillsy,...don't Drag Down YET ANOTHER Tech Thread with more of your Misstatements and False Assertions. We are here ..TO HELP OTHERS.....not bicker about things,.... so you try to appear like you are The Expert about a subject,...and posting falsely ignorance to do so,......as you keep doing.
Please,...STOP doing this! :space: Stop dragging in your 'tactics" you use in the Corona Virus Thread and the Election Threads as "responses" to what DevilsFan, Herb and others post over there.

It IS NOT WELCOME HERE.

Why do you keep refusing to recognize .......We are here in the Tech Board TO HELP OTHERS. :space: Please RE-read what is underlined just above.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

You're a fucking idiot.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Now we see hillsy sinking ever lower........ and resorting to Foul Language! :uhh:

hillsy,.. Please!,...STOP Dragging Down our Tech Board with all your Obfuscation Tactics and Disgusting Language. :space: We all know you use that crap in Coved and Elections Threads on other Boards,...but, IT IS NOT OKAY to do that here.

When are you going to Get It? :space: :Umm:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Designer wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:33 am

Here's what I get:

I suggest sending the LC carbs to G Man because more than likely the needle jets are worn.

You argue that's not true and based on what you've garnered from you "vast experience" with VS carbs this stuff doesn't happen anyway.

I point out the LC has totally different carbs to the VS and then you change your story saying you're a fucking "expert" on LC's as well and knew all along about the needle jet issues.

YOU are the poison on this forum.

Fuck off.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:51 pm
Designer wrote:
Here's what I get: I suggest sending the LC carbs to G Man because more than likely the needle jets are worn.

First,... ..Btrey554 has Only 22,000 miles on his bike.
Second....You Say the average amount of miles they need replacement is 40,000 miles.
Third,..and in FINALITY,...Btrey554 posts NONE of the usual symptoms that indicate his Jets are worn.

The rest is nothing other than your Infantile Rantings,.. Trying to make your BASELESS (thus Incorrect) and Expensive recommendation appear that it isn't.

So,...In Truth ...... you are looking in the Mirror when you say this foul-mouthed message;
hillsy v2 wrote:
YOU are the poison on this forum. Fuck off.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Designer wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:59 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
Designer wrote:
Here's what I get: I suggest sending the LC carbs to G Man because more than likely the needle jets are worn.

First,... ..Btrey554 has Only 22,000 miles on his bike.
Second....You Say the average amount of miles they need replacement is 40,000 miles.
Third,..and in FINALITY,...Btrey554 posts NONE of the usual symptoms that indicate his Jets are worn.

The rest is nothing other than your Infantile Rantings,.. Trying to make your BASELESS (thus Incorrect) and Expensive recommendation appear that it isn't.

So,...In Truth ...... you are looking in the Mirror when you say this foul-mouthed message;
hillsy v2 wrote:
YOU are the poison on this forum. Fuck off.
All we know is the bike has unbaffled Cobra pipes and a jet kit. And it started like shit the other day. Only other info is that the fuel pump had cut out previously but fixed itself.

You showed you know nothing here about LC carbs or the needle jet wear issues - apart from you putting some jets in an LC and tinkering with VS carbs as your reference. And now you're trying to tell us you knew about the needle jet issues all along??

At the end of the day it's up to the OP whether he has his carbs looked at - but your infantile arguing over the validity of this VERY REAL needle jet issue is what is fucking up this thread. Nothing else.

Just fuck off.

Btrey554
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1999 suzuki intruder vl1500 lc

Post by Btrey554 »

[quote="hillsy v2"
Btrey554 - I recommend you get in touch with Gary and have a chat - your carbs may not need the full treatment but he will let you know. I sent my carbs to him from Australia and it was worth every cent. Night and day difference.
[/quote]

Im definitely going to do that. Finally got to digging into the bike and discovered a blown intake pipe. Have me ones on the way and I'll see what that does for me before going any further though.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:07 pm
You showed you know nothing here about LC carbs or the needle jet wear issues - apart from you putting some jets in an LC and tinkering with VS carbs as your reference. And now you're trying to tell us you knew about the needle jet issues all along??
Why do you insist on repeatedly harping about something as this?

Yes, I have known about the 1500 Needle/Jet issues ever since listening to other 1500 Riders back on the Purple Board. :space: I told you as much. :space: Just because I mentioned similar Wear Issues on the 1400 Front carb first,..does not mean I didn't know about the 1500 issues also. :dunno:

I learned much about the 1500 when I was developing my High Performance Clutch Springs back in 2007. :space: After learning that the HD Springs from Barnett slipped after Performance Upgrades (which included the Carb Reworking by Half Crazy)

You have have a Mean-spirited Vendetta Mindset, and it clearly displayed with this,...which also has your Quite Unnecessary Foul Language;
hillsy v2 wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:07 pm

At the end of the day it's up to the OP whether he has his carbs looked at - but your infantile arguing over the validity of this VERY REAL needle jet issue is what is fucking up this thread. Nothing else. :space: Just fuck off.
Again, I never said the Needle Jet issue isn't ..."VERY REAL"...I said his symptoms posted do not indicate that has has a Worn out/Ovaled Jets.
The most telling symptom being,...Poor Mileage and perhaps Rich Mixture at Cruise speeds. :space: :space: Neither of which did Btrey554 report as him having.
For you to recommend him spending considerable amount of money rejetting his carbs when he has not posted this symptom shows a disregard for him and his money.

Your Distorting and Misstating what I have posted herein is poisoning the Discussion here on Our Tech Board. :space: Please Stop. for the sake of decency.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Btrey554 wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:00 am

Im definitely going to do that. Finally got to digging into the bike and discovered a blown intake pipe. Have me ones on the way and I'll see what that does for me before going any further though.
Just so you know Hillsy, Designer and Herb will battle it out but they all have great knowledge when it comes to motorcycles. You just have to figure out who is correct.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

sgtcall wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:42 am

Just so you know Hillsy, Designer and Herb will battle it out but they all have great knowledge when it comes to motorcycles. You just have to figure out who is correct.
I shouldn't be like this in a tech forum but when you have a guy that will try and oppose anything I say - no matter how ridiculous the stance - it's gonna turn to shit.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Btrey554 wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:00 am
May I take it that when you say your Intake "pipe" is "blown",....you are saying your Intake Manifold is leaking? :Umm:

If it is,....that would very likely be what has caused what you originally posted were your malfunctioning symptoms;
Btrey554 wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:04 am
I went to start up my vl1500 the other day and it took longer to fire when it did there sounded like a backfire in the airbox with a wisp of smoke rolling out. I shut it down and when i fired it back up Bike idled real rough but no backfire. Only mods are unbaffled cobra pipes and a jet kit. Where do i even start with this? Any help is appreciated.

Please do, keep us posted about what you get after installing your new intake pipe. :space: Assuming that takes care of your Rough Starting/Idling problems,...I am curious as to whether you have any issues with how the Engine runs at Cruise speeds.