Experienced help?

Look here first if you are looking for a specific bike.
If you find what you're looking for, click the link.
Rumble
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1988 VS1400

Experienced help?

Post by Rumble »

Good afternoon, I picked up a 98 VS1400 for my kid and am cleaning up the carbs. Upon teardown of the front carb, I ran into something that I find puzzling. I'm looking for an answer and hopefully, one of you seasoned Intruder lovers can help. Take a look at the pics, please. This jet, main I think, has a keyway but there appears to be no key in the carb body. Can someone tell me the proper orientation for reinstalling this part? Uh-oh. Reckon I need an image host. Ta-da! Just discovered that it's easier to make a video and stick it on you tube.[YoutubeURL][/YoutubeURL] Thanks in advance for your input, serious or otherwise.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Experienced help?

Post by hillsy »

It looks like the key has drifted out? Or maybe been filed down?

Also - is that a new needle jet? Carbs that are angled down with the needles off the vertical tend to oval out the needle jet seat and you end up with inconsistent fuelling. Worth inspecting / replacing if you haven't done so already.

Rumble
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Rumble »

Thanks Hillsy.
Just saw your comment. I must not have my notifications on. I saw the brass pin that your pic points out and I used that as a guide. I made another video but failed to post it. Wish I'd seen your comment before I put the bike back together because after a thorough cleaning of the carbs, the bike now won't run without choke and my popping is still constant. I ran out of energy tonight and will attack it in the morning. With luck I'll be able to make sync cable adjustments, (which I'm pretty sure were good on the bench), air idle, (enough to get me off choke) and a real sync with my Twinmax balancer.
Getting my head prepped for endless trial and error. I had a '88 1400 awhile back. I discovered after I bought it that someone had sugared the gas tank. (Jealous wife maybe?) Anyways, I eventually got it all cleaned up and purring like it should. It's been about 10 years and my memory ain't what it used to be. Reckon it'll come to me as I work my way thru.
I'm gonna go ahead and upload the other video, (Found my key), to Youtube. While your pictures suffice nicely, I feel compelled to finish what I started . I've seen enough helpful cliffhangers searching for answers, thank you very much.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Rumble wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:40 pm
..... because after a thorough cleaning of the carbs, the bike now won't run without choke and my popping is still constant.....
You might want to check out this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=13087&start=40

Rumble
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Rumble »

Well, Schlitz. After going thru the suggested post, I reckon I have 2 options. A) Try everything I can think of to avoid pulling the carbs or, B) Track down my ultra sonic cleaner and just eliminate all doubt. Who knows? I might just be pleasantly surprised by the results when I put it back together and push the starter button. I'm gonna say "B", Regis. That's my final answer. I'll get back to you with my results.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Rumble wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:56 am
Well, Schlitz. After going thru the suggested post, I reckon I have 2 options. A) Try everything I can think of to avoid pulling the carbs or, B) Track down my ultra sonic cleaner and just eliminate all doubt. Who knows? I might just be pleasantly surprised by the results when I put it back together and push the starter button. I'm gonna say "B", Regis. That's my final answer. I'll get back to you with my results.
The good news is that you don't need to go out and spend your hard earned $$$ on an ultrasonic cleaner.

You can clean your carbs totally well without it.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Rumble wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:56 am
OK - best of luck.

If you do end up pulling the carbs back off to re-clean (I'd say you probably will) pay particular attention to the pilot and idle fuel circuits. These are notorious areas for filling with varnish / crud and can be particularly tricky to clear. Ultrasonic cleaning is good but it may not remove everything from those passageways. Carb cleaner and strong compressed air is the proven way - but you need to be THOROUGH. If you read through the other thread that guy said he'd cleaned them three times before he tried ultrasonic so that should tell you how much of a bitch they can be.

BTW - have you removed the idle mixture screws? These form part of the pilot circuit and need to be removed to do a proper clean.