86 Intruder caught fire. what parts interchange

Look here first if you are looking for a specific bike.
If you find what you're looking for, click the link.
MukIT
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1986 VS700

86 Intruder caught fire. what parts interchange

Post by MukIT »

A little history. I recently got an 86 intruder and it was only running on the back cylinder. I took the seat off and found that someone had removed all the wireloom/wrap on the bike so all the wires were loose. The bike only ran on the rear cylinder and after doing a compression test i tried to re start the bike and it backfired from the rear car and since it was missing the boot from the carb to the air filter it spewed gas out and was ignited and melted the insulation off of all the wiring in that area.

What all bikes are capable of being donors? or should I cut my losses.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: 86 Intruder caught fire. what parts interchange

Post by sgtcall »

I don't know much about the 80s model Intruders but I think the 86 is a 700 or 750 so you should be able to pull parts from any Intruder from 85-91. I would also expect that some parts off of the early 800s would fit.

If you can post some pics of the damage you may find some better help on here.

Here is a start if you are looking for a new harness. https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/19 ... 0sch502040
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

As stated most any year VS800 or S50 parts will bolt up to your '86 VS700.
The major differences are:
The 700 has a smaller radiator, ehgine.
The brake rotor may be on the opposite side
The wiring may vary, but you can omit the wires from a newer harness that you don't need to make it run.
800 carbs will bolt up.

I have a harness from a '07, as well as swich boxes and carbs, coils, and other parts
Take inventory of what you need and send me an email.

MukIT
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1986 VS700

Post by MukIT »

Thank you for the replies. As far as I know right now I believe it is just the harness and the coil for the front head got a little melted. I was sure i took more photos but only found these two. I did find a parts bike on FB but it is an hour an a half away near eaton OH and i am on call for another week and cannot leave my support area. I am hoping he still has it when I am able to go there or Navigator I may just purchase the items from you. it will be a few days before I can get back to where the bike is to look it back over to see what all it may need.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XwcAM6yBmAF73PLs7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/eF1Dfb2qbTWNhBjcA

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

I replied to your email.