87 intruder vs700 carb problems

Look here first if you are looking for a specific bike.
If you find what you're looking for, click the link.
SpikeTheKid13
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 87 suzuki Intruder vs700

87 intruder vs700 carb problems

Post by SpikeTheKid13 »

Real quick. Pulled air boxes (pipes stayed) Installed pod filters. Rear head burns HOT. Front barely got too hot to touch. Ive tuned valves a dozen times (same result). Used sync tool and says rear head is too LEAN or Valve timing. Like I said, valves are tuned. I'm thinking it's an air issue.
I've used a large washer to restrict the rear carb. Didn't seem to really change.

My problem is that I can't get her to run right. Idles way toooo high at start up. Whose willing to help me out?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: 87 intruder vs700 carb problems

Post by navigator »

1. pod filters do not provide the vacuum required to lift the slides.
2. air boxes will provide the needed vacuum.
3.you may be able to create some vacuum by restricting the airflow, putting socks over the pods.
4.sync tools will measure differences in vacuum between two carbs, but it will not tell you if the mixture is lean.
5. you need to perform an idle sync and a high speed sync to balance the carbs.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

I hope you kept the air boxes, as Nav is right about pod filters. Not only what he said, but some pod filters actually block the air entering the air jet intakes near the edge of the carb throats, which creates mixture problems, too.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

SpikeTheKid13
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 87 suzuki Intruder vs700

Post by SpikeTheKid13 »

:cheers: thank you so much for the feedback. But I don't quite think I'm under water yet. Boxes have been trashed.

I did use carb sync tool. It's how I discovered rear head was burning HOTTT. Thought it was valves but discovered not (front idled in the green)(prosses of elimination).

So I bought a washer (rubber glove covering rear intake didn't make a difference) which did clatter around when bike was started. And yes I was concerned about it cutting off O2 to those specific ports on carb.

My next course of action would be fabrication of stock rubber hose to EXTEND the pod filter away from carb and putting washer farther from it. Preventing clatter when idling (pod filter length was good distance from carb venturi allowing room for movement) when i 1st used washer I didn't drill extra holes, and when I started it, it pull fuel through the exhaust. TOO MUCH VACCUM?! Am I thinking right?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

I have no idea what you are doing.
What size washer, where, and most importantly why?
Rubber glove covering the intake? why?
How does it pull fuel through the exhaust? Do you mean you have raw fuel in the exhaust pipe.
What type of sync tool did you use that showed the front in the green? If you are using two vacuum gages, you adjust the sync cable and/or the front throttle cable to get the same reading on each gage.