Brembo Caliper Upgrade

Click to Enter!
enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Brembo Caliper Upgrade

Post by enforcer »

Ok, so my last touring bike had dual Brembo calipers in front and a Brembo in the rear. That thing would stop on a dime and even pick it up. Later touring Harleys (even before ABS and linked brakes) had Brembos all around (before they went single caliper with ABS).

I've recently discovered all that's required to switch in front is the calipers and dual 300mm floating rotors. The stock 4 piston calipers seriously lack stopping power, made more noticeable by riding a later model with a single front caliper. Now the setup isn't terribly pricey, around $300-400.

Now, I could rebuild the front and get some semi sintered pads, but I think that's just putting lipstick on a pig.

Anyone have experience with Brembos on a Harley. The Harley has a good 300lbs on my old Beemer and I suspect I may be disappointed without the ABS. Also, I would have to switch from DOT 5 to DOT 4 for the Brembos, which would make my pocketbook happy, but I lose the extremely high temp rating. Even 5.1 isn't as high as 5.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Re: Brembo Caliper Upgrade

Post by jonnycando »

Sounds like a pretty simple parts swap! The only thing I'd be concerned about is the ABS throwing a code when you unplug it from the original caliper. Maybe there's a way around that though.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

jonnycando wrote:Sounds like a pretty simple parts swap! The only thing I'd be concerned about is the ABS throwing a code when you unplug it from the original caliper. Maybe there's a way around that though.
I don't have ABS. Nether does the setup that would be swapped in. There's debate over whether the MC would be required, but several people have gotten by without swapping it.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

I'd get the MC too, unless a search of parts catalogs shows they both use the same one, or at least the same size. You will be moving several cc's more fluid with the extra disc, and you would get more lever travel which may well be excessive, unless the existing MC has the extra capacity.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

jonnycando wrote:I'd get the MC too, unless a search of parts catalogs shows they both use the same one, or at least the same size. You will be moving several cc's more fluid with the extra disc, and you would get more lever travel which may well be excessive, unless the existing MC has the extra capacity.
No extra disc. I'm running dual 4 piston Harley calipers now. I'd just be switching to Brembo 4 piston calipers instead. And larger rotors.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

In that case you probably would be OK with the MC you have...nevertheless if the one that goes with the other stuff can be had, especially if cheap...I would get it. But I wouldn't fret if it was not available.