What's a HOG membership good for anyway?

Click to Enter!
enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

What's a HOG membership good for anyway?

Post by enforcer »

Got a free year when I bought my bike and it's about to expire. Am I missing out on some huge benefit other than meeting all the weekend warriors, bike night enthusiasts and pedestal polishers? Because I won't miss them.

Hot dogs and tests rides are still free (and usually net me another T shirt) and I found the magazine to elitist anyhow.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

Joe A
Learning My Moped
My Bike: The Legendary Classic

Re: What's a HOG membership good for anyway?

Post by Joe A »

Roadside assistance? If it doesn't have it, AMA membership does for $35 a year.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

Joe A wrote:Roadside assistance? If it doesn't have it, AMA membership does for $35 a year.
Have it built into my insurance policy.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

Elsie rider
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: HD Triglide

Post by Elsie rider »

They will tow your bike to the nearest HD dealer. If you are in your local area, dealer of your choice. They will send a HD mechanic if just roadside assistance as needed. Frieze sends their truck out many times just for flat tires, can replace tire if needed. They have a truck that is a garage on wheels.

Broke down away from home, they will pay for Hotel while you wait.
Not a big deal to many...but many events will have a HOG tent...must have that HOG card to get in . AC, free drinks ( non alcoholic ) Does not sound like much, but one time in Myrtle Beach , it was a nice break to sit back and cool off while bikes were being washed .

Now my favorite reason for remaining in HOG. I stay at many hotels while traveling. I have my Best Western HOG card. I have had many upgrades, free nights when traveling. I have enough points for free nights and enough to pay for a 5 year HOG membership with out spending a penny out of pocket . When my wife travels, she uses the card as well.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

I had three of the six Harley new and got the pin,patch,and member ship for a year.Went on a few rides and while nice people just a bit too much for me.I do not enjoy big numbers ride much to start with.They sure did not do too many miles [emoji2] and way too many stops but guess more like that kind of lots of stops and look at me than my kind of miles.Never used the motel stuff but do not stay in them if any way not to.Still have some new pins and patches stashed away.

Elsie rider

Post by Elsie rider »

I guess what area you're in might make a difference in how far they ride....I'm a HOG member, not a member to any chapter . You can maintain hog membership and never join a chapter.
@ chapters near me, one is big on fundraisers, the other likes doing long lunch runs, sometimes 250 miles away . I prefer not be be with a chapter , or any organization that wants my time ....and for working people everything is done on weekends. When I was working everything on Saturdays, I worked Saturdays. Now I prefer to ride during the week.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

If you're not into associating with larger bike groups then joining a HOG Chapter is not for you....

But as Elsie has mentioned there are a few perks that come with the National membership

Your insurance does cover roadside assistance but just make sure that they will send a reputable rescue team in case you are broke down..
Friend of mine rode a Honda for years...He had a break down and used his insurance carrier for assistance...they sent some jerk with a too small of a trailer and no tie downs......driver that they sent wanted to lay the bike down in the trailer....... I ended up traveling the 80 some odd miles and get my bike trailer to bring him home...bad experience
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

wally w
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 1987 VS700

Post by wally w »

Over the years I owned 10-11 Harleys 11 if you count Buells. The first new Harley I bought there wasn't any HOG that was 1982 The next new Harley I bought was 1992 and came with HOG but since I rode sickles to get away from people I never used the membership.

Elsie rider

Post by Elsie rider »

wally w wrote:Over the years I owned 10-11 Harleys 11 if you count Buells. The first new Harley I bought there wasn't any HOG that was 1982 The next new Harley I bought was 1992 and came with HOG but since I rode sickles to get away from people I never used the membership.
I have not had to use my HOG yet. A friend did need to and HOG will send someone from the nearest HD dealer as they tow to the dealer. They also pay when over certain miles. I was going to follow to the dealer, driver said he was taking the long way to the shop as HOG will then pay 100% of the tow.

Better to have it and not use it , then to need it and not have it .

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: VS1400 + VL1500

Post by scootermcq »

8 out of 10 HD sold are still on the road.........

(The other 2 made it home)

[emoji56] [emoji56] :lmao: :lmao:
Scott

Elsie rider

Post by Elsie rider »

scootermcq wrote:8 out of 10 HD sold are still on the road.........

(The other 2 made it home)

[emoji56] [emoji56] :lmao: :lmao:

old joke, wasn't that funny years ago , now just pathetic....never had an HD break down on me...Suzuki is the only bike that stranded me...

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Rode a lot of miles and had break downs on all brands.Best and worse bikes ever owned were new suzuki fours and that one bad suzuki was only bad one of many.Harleys three new and three used were in the middle and cost less than any due to resale.Harleys were best to fix and go on side of road but all are getting above shade tree wrenchs if the makers have anything to do with it. :bonk:

dwd58
My Bike: 2005 s83

Post by dwd58 »

You have to hand it to Harley as they made one heck of a comeback from their shoddy AMF days . They took over a segment of the market that the other manufacturers only gave an afterthought to . Harley made it their focus and now not only they cornered the market, the clothing market, and the dealership network is a brilliant idea. I do think they are way over saturated and some of the dealerships will thrive while most will end up starving, but you have to hand it to them, they had a long string of successes the last few years.

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club
My Bike: SUZUKI

Post by franktiregod »

Whats a HOG membership good for? Mine was good for about 49 bucks they got from me. [emoji2]

I got a "free" year when I bought the bike and it was about to expire. I debated on it and said what the heck, its 49 bucks an if I get stranded I want to have a lot of people to call so theres one more on the list.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

franktiregod wrote:Whats a HOG membership good for? Mine was good for about 49 bucks they got from me. [emoji2]

I got a "free" year when I bought the bike and it was about to expire. I debated on it and said what the heck, its 49 bucks an if I get stranded I want to have a lot of people to call so theres one more on the list.
I guess that having roadside assistance is a must have when you ride a Harley.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club

Post by franktiregod »

Herb wrote:
franktiregod wrote:Whats a HOG membership good for? Mine was good for about 49 bucks they got from me. [emoji2]

I guess that having roadside assistance is a must have when you ride a Harley.
:lmao:

I don't know.......yet.

But I have my good friend MasterCard and several emergency contacts in case I do.

I am actually taking my Zuki to OMG and the reason is simple, I love Zuki and it's more comfortable.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

franktiregod wrote: I am actually taking my Zuki to OMG and the reason is simple, I love Zuki and it's more comfortable.
And it'll make it all the way there. [emoji2]

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

navigator wrote:
franktiregod wrote: I am actually taking my Zuki to OMG and the reason is simple, I love Zuki and it's more comfortable.
In 30 years on 2 1400s I have only been stranded 2 times with a breakdown that I couldn't patch it together enough to ride home. Both times on the 99. The 87 ran 154,000 miles in 16 years with no serious breakdowns.
The 99 broke a piece in the tranny at 135,000 that caused it to lock up in 2 gears. It popped loose and was rideable but was making a lot of really bad sounding noises. The second time was at about 210,000 when the splines on the driveshaft, inside the rear end housing stripped. I consider that pretty damn reliable. But the 87 was the best.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club

Post by franktiregod »

navigator wrote:

I hope it goes many, many more miles.

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club

Post by franktiregod »

Herb wrote:
navigator wrote:
In 30 years on 2 1400s I have only been stranded 2 times with a breakdown that I couldn't patch it together enough to ride home. Both times on the 99. The 87 ran 154,000 miles in 16 years with no serious breakdowns.
The 99 broke a piece in the tranny at 135,000 that caused it to lock up in 2 gears. It popped loose and was rideable but was making a lot of really bad sounding noises. The second time was at about 210,000 when the splines on the driveshaft, inside the rear end housing stripped. I consider that pretty damn reliable. But the 87 was the best.

navigator wrote:

It's been a great bike. I have owned all the intruders from the 700 on up. And I owned several of each. I bought this 1500 about 6 or 7 years ago and it's been a tank. The only thing I had to do to it was a stator and rectifier at 39,000 miles.

I wrecked it about year and a half ago. Insurance company totalled it. I couldn't let it go. I was going to rebuild it but decided to repair only what had to to be repaired. I knocked the dents out as best I could and let it go. The dents are like scars, just part of the history.

If my wife had been as dependable as my Suzuki..... :lmao: