Never met an 883 I didn't like, until yesterday

Click to Enter!
enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Never met an 883 I didn't like, until yesterday

Post by enforcer »

So, I went and checked out the 01 883 I was interested in trading for yesterday. Boy, are pictures deceiving or what?

As soon as I got there, I could tell it hadn't been ridden regularly. Plates are about a year expired if that tells you anything. Hard to start, even for a Harley. Could have been a gummed up carb, could have been stale gas, could have been both. Popped the whole test ride. Strike one. Stock buckhorns, who invented these sorry excuse for handlebars?

Only aftermarket parts were sissy bar, luggage rack, cheap highway bars, and rusty SE slip ons.

Looking to get full KBB for excellent condition, which she ain't. Good would be a stretch IMO.

Now, mine ain't perfect and has a couple chips, scratches, gear position indicator, gas gauge and electric windshield need fixed. Also needs a new rear tire. I figure the 171000 miles puts her about 600 under book.

Am I out of line. I had a couple cash offers and trade offers but nothing I deem a serious enough offer.

I know pricing bikes is hard, but am I out of line? It's hard to get a good assessment of value if the bike hasn't run in a while.

Thoughts?
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Re: Never met an 883 I didn't like, until yesterday

Post by jonnycando »

I dunno...I think a real beater with serious tuning issues could go half of book and you would still be a generous buyer. It would all hinge I reckon on what you thought it would take to bring it back up to a state of excellence. You take that cost and deduct it from the asking price. Maybe you could give a little extra if you knew there was a diamond in the rough there but as there are sportsters on every corner it seems, I wouldn't see it ever being worth a big pile. I am seeing 10 year old electra glides popping up in the 6000 dollar range so there's only so much you can ask for the smaller ones. What this one has going for it....17000ish miles, and a well proven evo engine. But part of the discounting is not knowing how badly it's been treated. I definitely would talk the seller down as far as I could. And then use the savings for a few bottles of elbow grease.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

jonnycando wrote:I dunno...I think a real beater with serious tuning issues could go half of book and you would still be a generous buyer. It would all hinge I reckon on what you thought it would take to bring it back up to a state of excellence. You take that cost and deduct it from the asking price. Maybe you could give a little extra if you knew there was a diamond in the rough there but as there are sportsters on every corner it seems, I wouldn't see it ever being worth a big pile. I am seeing 10 year old electra glides popping up in the 6000 dollar range so there's only so much you can ask for the smaller ones. What this one has going for it....17000ish miles, and a well proven evo engine. But part of the discounting is not knowing how badly it's been treated. I definitely would talk the seller down as far as I could. And then use the savings for a few bottles of elbow grease.
I gave him what I thought was a fair offer, and that's all I can do. Even though mine is high mileage, what it does have going for it is a full service history for the last 100K miles and a brand new rear seal and clutch 10K miles ago (which is a common failure with these flying bricks, so it's about a $1500 piece of mind). I've already said, if I don't get what I want, I'll throw a few more bucks into the Beemer and make her near perfect as I can.

I'm not sure I really want a cruiser anymore, I just know this Beemer has too much power for the weight ratio, an it's going to get me in trouble. Smoothest bike I've ever owned. Look down and I'm going 60 without blinking an eye. :evil:

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

The sputtering and hard starting could be a number of things if the bike sat for a while. The usual culprit is the idle jet. It's a small orifice and gets clogged easily. Good news it's an easy fix and shouldn't cost more than 8 bucks. As long as you're in there, you might as well upsize it, it'll get rid of the factory lean condition. If it's a 42, go to a 45. Those buckhorns are not factory stock on that model. Buckhorns come stock on the XL1200 and the 883 Hugger. So make sure the cables and wires and brake line aren't binding or stretching when you turn the bars stop to stop. KBB says the bike is worth $3240 in excellent condition, so start subtracting from there for the stuff you need to replace. I've got a factory parts book, so if you need part numbers, feel free to PM me. I've also got some spare parts laying around, so keep that in mind also should you buy this bike.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

MattSunn wrote:The sputtering and hard starting could be a number of things if the bike sat for a while. The usual culprit is the idle jet. It's a small orifice and gets clogged easily. Good news it's an easy fix and shouldn't cost more than 8 bucks. As long as you're in there, you might as well upsize it, it'll get rid of the factory lean condition. If it's a 42, go to a 45. Those buckhorns are not factory stock on that model. Buckhorns come stock on the XL1200 and the 883 Hugger. So make sure the cables and wires and brake line aren't binding or stretching when you turn the bars stop to stop. KBB says the bike is worth $3240 in excellent condition, so start subtracting from there for the stuff you need to replace. I've got a factory parts book, so if you need part numbers, feel free to PM me. I've also got some spare parts laying around, so keep that in mind also should you buy this bike.
Not really worried about the carb, I have a spare, and some extra jets lying around. I think 45 might be a bit big for an 883, but who knows. Bars is another thing I have plenty of, never could get rid of them. Forwards are the really bothering thing. I just pointed all that out as a bargaining chip. With what I mentioned, do you think I'm out of line offering him a shade under $3K (cash and trade) because that's what I offered. Haven't heard back one way or the other, but it's not worrying. $3K Sportys are a dime a dozen and I'll just wait until mine sells and buy one.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

98VS1400 wrote:I like to look at Cycle Trader to get an idea of resale values. I start nationwide and narrow down regionally, as prices vary. For getting rid of a Beemer, I'd focus on other Beemer owners as my target buyers. The uninitiated tend to be harder to convert, especially with an older bike.
I checked eBay first, always forget about Cycle Trader, but almost no one except dealers list here locally. Problem with Beemer owners, they like buying new instead of used. They're all about accessories. Only ones that appreciate a well sorted older model are guys like me who do their own maintenance. I think I've got it listed plenty of places for a fair price, and I just have to be patient. It's not like I need to sell or trade it.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

enforcer wrote: With what I mentioned, do you think I'm out of line offering him a shade under $3K (cash and trade) because that's what I offered. Haven't heard back one way or the other, but it's not worrying.
That's not a bad offer if he wants the trade.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

If he really is interested at all, he ought at least make a counter offer if a shade under 3000 is not to his liking.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

jonnycando wrote:If he really is interested at all, he ought at least make a counter offer if a shade under 3000 is not to his liking.
He did, but he wanted 500 more. I'm not doing that, not with the condition his is in.

Sportsters are a dime a dozen and I'm not in love with his.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

See, dime a dozen. 07 883 with 18K only an hour a way. He only wants $2500. Better get busy selling my Beemer.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: VS1400 + VL1500

Post by scootermcq »

enforcer wrote:Image
See, dime a dozen. 07 883 with 18K only an hour a way. He only wants $2500.
Time to come State side with a trailer..... cheapest 883 in my neighbourhood is 4k and most are priced around 7k
Scott

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

98VS1400 wrote:Yeah you will be much better off selling the BMW rather than trying to trade it with cash to boot. At least with individuals anyway.
Been listed for sale for almost a month. Couple nibbles, but as soon as they notice the mileage, they run for the hills. I've offered them to start it, even take it for a ride. I even have it listed at best offer, not even a decent one. I'll keep waiting, I have it listed on eBay too, lots of watchers, no offers. I don't have to sell it and every time I ride it, I don't want to, but I miss having a smaller, more maneuverable bike.

Maybe I'll just strip off the extra weight of the front fairing, give it a complete refurb and keep it.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

There's plenty of $3K ones in my area. No need to travel cross country, yet.

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by scootermcq »

98VS1400 wrote:They're going for a little more done here in Florida. Quite a few in the 3500-4500 range though. However, if a guy was looking for an 883 with a 1200 kit and other mods for less than $2000, here is the bike:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/mcy/5577808773.html
No wonder... it's probably all wore out. Check the size of the trailer he be pullin

:eek: :lmao:
Scott

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

883 :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

98VS1400 wrote:They're going for a little more done here in Florida. Quite a few in the 3500-4500 range though. However, if a guy was looking for an 883 with a 1200 kit and other mods for less than $2000, here is the bike:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/mcy/5577808773.html
If he'd do a straight trade, I'd ride it. But I'm still not riding cross country for a bike, yet.

I'm not picky, but with 2 running bikes, I can afford to be. Heck, I find myself riding the Beemer a lot more than the Harley lately.

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by scootermcq »

enforcer wrote:Heck, I find myself riding the Beemer a lot more than the Harley lately.
LMAO... better get an HD bumper sticker for the Beemer so people know you have one.
Scott

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

scootermcq wrote:
enforcer wrote:Heck, I find myself riding the Beemer a lot more than the Harley lately.
LMAO... better get an HD bumper sticker for the Beemer so people know you have one.
So, you're saying I should cover the roundel with a bar and shield. No chance of anyone singling me out for riding or not riding a Harley. I've really been looking for a V Star to replace the Beemer, but sadly everyone way over values their 650s. Besides, all of my bikes already have this sticker.
So, I think that about covers all the bases.