Never met an 883 I didn't like, until yesterday

Click to Enter!
jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Re: Never met an 883 I didn't like, until yesterday

Post by jonnycando »

I am not sure there's a beemer I want bad enough to go hunting...but mileage is the last think I'd worry about....them things run forever!

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

jonnycando wrote:I am not sure there's a beemer I want bad enough to go hunting...but mileage is the last think I'd worry about....them things run forever!
Boxers/Oilheads don't. They get about 200,000 before they quit. Flying bricks get about 400,000 with regular maintenance and a new clutch every now and then. Fork seals are a PITA, but I remidied that with a set of gaiters. Headlight switch is a poor design, as is the windshield motor and gear position sensor, but I fixed one of the three and if she doesn't sell, I'll fix the other two, throw new rubber on her and abuse her like the village prostitute.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

As a continuation of my dilemma, I received one more offer before I pulled the ad. It's a 94 1200 basket case. Setup as roller with a bunch of extra parts. Wide glide, wide rear tire kit, twisted spoke rims, the whole nine yards. Just needs reassembled. The guy is invested into it with his friend, and his friend wants a bike to ride. I'm thinking if I like it, straight trade, with the bike delivered. Cleanup and reassembly would be easier than heavy modification of the Beemer.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a good deal to me, and it leaves me some extra cash for parts that may need replaced. Clean and clear title.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

Some people might look at a basket case and walk away, but the only thing that might give me pause is if the wiring loom is in place or not. If it's out and I wasn't the one that removed it, it's even money whether I would get it back in without a bunch of knots. If that doesn't faze you, and the rest of the assembly is a no brainer, well...then I might just take the deal. Especially if it looked like the assembled bike would be good looking...if you had to paint everything or replace chrome bits, then it gets to be less of an opportunity.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

jonnycando wrote:Some people might look at a basket case and walk away, but the only thing that might give me pause is if the wiring loom is in place or not. If it's out and I wasn't the one that removed it, it's even money whether I would get it back in without a bunch of knots. If that doesn't faze you, and the rest of the assembly is a no brainer, well...then I might just take the deal. Especially if it looked like the assembled bike would be good looking...if you had to paint everything or replace chrome bits, then it gets to be less of an opportunity.
Wiring in place. Most of the chrome is rust free. Needs some parts cleaned up, but has plenty of extra parts.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

Spoke too soon. Another dead end. Back to the cafe idea. I need input and suggestions. If you're interested in that style bike, check out my thread in the BMW section.

http://www.intruders-alert.com/viewtopi ... =64&t=4229