Sportster in garage

Click to Enter!
jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Sportster in garage

Post by jonnycando »

Significant other's kin brought over a sad looking 91 XL883....albeit with 1200 kit. Ugly as sin but runs like crazy. We going to try and make a silk purse from this sow's ear.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Re: Sportster in garage

Post by MattSunn »

Have fun. They are fairly easy to work on. There's a wealth of info on the XL forum.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Am a little rusty on them at that point.Is 91 when they got five speed and the 1200 got belt,then in 93 all sportsters got belt making Harley no chains.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

Well.....already we learning....so it's not an 883 with 1200 jugs...it's a factory 1200...cause it does have a belt. So rather than a kit, it's apparently just had a top end service. Well, all that will be sorted when we decode the VIN. Lotta rusted up stuff....even Blue Job will be bested by some of this stuff. Even the paint is coming off....a previous owner repainted and did not prep properly....then at some point it sat out in the rain for four years.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

old time rider wrote:Am a little rusty on them at that point.Is 91 when they got five speed and the 1200 got belt,then in 93 all sportsters got belt making Harley no chains.
Yep, 91 got the five speed. I think the 883 Deluxe got the belt also. 91 still had the curved rear fender supports. I think it was the first year for the umbrella valves in the head.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

jonnycando wrote:Well.....already we learning....so it's not an 883 with 1200 jugs...it's a factory 1200...cause it does have a belt. So rather than a kit, it's apparently just had a top end service. Well, all that will be sorted when we decode the VIN. Lotta rusted up stuff....even Blue Job will be bested by some of this stuff. Even the paint is coming off....a previous owner repainted and did not prep properly....then at some point it sat out in the rain for four years.
I'm not sure if this went back as far as your VIN, but there are three letters in the VIN, starting with "C". The middle letter indicates the model and the last letter will be either a "P" or an "M". If it's a "P", it's a factory 1200, an "M" indicates an 883.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

Why would anyone leave a motorcycle out in the rain for four years? That is just plain wrong.
Hell, I won't leave my bikes out in the rain for an hour if not necessary.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

RoadKing wrote:Why would anyone leave a motorcycle out in the rain for four years? That is just plain wrong.
Hell, I won't leave my bikes out in the rain for an hour if not necessary.

Yup
-DBTO

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

1979 was first year for cruved fender strut but not all.1973 Was last and then back to no cruve in 94.My 1995 was last year for the two gallon tank and 1200 go the three gallon.They call for more but ran out on the road and at pump wating out west and they hold less than called for.Some years in a few had a fat bob and that 48 looks as small as my 95.In looks I like the small tank.Makes the motor look lots bigger.Thats why lots of old choppers used the little sportster tank and some of the old 56 back K-models and some hummers with the key made in the tank were hot for a custom look.Have even seen a few with two small cans about the size of a pringles can as tanks mounted.They were on some drag bikes before.In drag racing weight is a big thing so you only use enoygh gas for a run if serious about your e.t..
1986 first year for Evo sportster I think?1100 replaced the iron head 1000 for one year then made into 1200.These are all rusty junk from my old brain and better clear them with mattsun before betting on any of them. :bonk: :cheers: In the real old days 50-early 60s sportster was the blue collar king in bad boy bikes.Sure some high dollar stuff like Vincent and big time hop up would beat them but in stock they were bad for the day.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

It turns out to be a 1991 XLH883 Hugger, with optional belt drive...and 1200 jug kit. VIN does have CEM in it. It's wicked fast as far as rustbuckets go, so I reckon that 1200 kit does some good.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

My sweet wifes 06 1200 Sporty was pretty quick also.....she could do wheelie's with it in 1st and 2nd gear :rag:
Even with my ass on it it outran a 1400 off the line a couple of times [emoji106]
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Teach
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Teach »

The 883 deluxe had a belt in 91, hugger would be converted.
I am assuming the cylinders are stamped 1200? If not and you want to be sure, pull both plugs. Rotate rear tire until pistons at bottom dead center, bdc. Push a pencil or welding rod diagonally into cylinder until it contacts the cylinder wall. Record the measurement.
5 7/8=1200
5 1/2=883

Hope this is helpful

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

An 883 converted to a 1200 is quicker anyway...883 has slightly lower gearing...
-DBTO

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

Changed the oil and filter and also did the primary oil. Clutch is badly adjusted and we are having a time finding the sweet spot. Where it was, was no where close. Also spark plugs were gapped way too narrow....opened them up to 30...bike likes that better.

Junebug51
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: Street Glide

Post by Junebug51 »

The older I get, the faster I was!

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

I concur...........

duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

Well, give me time....I do work for a living.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

jonnycando wrote:Clutch is badly adjusted and we are having a time finding the sweet spot. Where it was, was no where close.
On the cable, back off the jam nut, then move the adjuster toward the jam nut. You should get a lot of slack in the cable. Take off the left foot peg. Drain the primary oil.Take the four bolts out of the derby/inspection cover. There's a spring and a large o-ring in there, don't lose them. Take that spring and the lock plate off. Turn the adjusting screw counterclockwise until you feel resistance, then back off about 1/4 of a turn. Put everything back, make sure the o-ring and the spring are in properly, put the derby cover back on being careful about the 4 bolts(it's easy to strip them if you tighten them too much). Put the oil back in and the footpeg on. Readjust the cable to take up the slack. There should be about 1/16 to 1/8" gap between the clutch lever bracket and the cable ferrule when the cable is pulled away from the bracket.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

Tried that, well it's 91 model so there was no peg blocking the derby cover...a smaller plate in the middle exposes the adjustment screw. In turning ccw there was no resistance to be found. I suspect it has either been adjusted badly at some point or not at all and the proper point is several clockwise turns away. Just not sure.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

jonnycando wrote:Tried that, well it's 91 model so there was plug blocking the derby cover...a smaller plate in the middle exposes the adjustment screw. In turning ccw there was no resistance to be found. I suspect it has either been adjusted badly at some point or not at all and the proper point is several clockwise turns away. Just not sure.
Hmmm. I thought they changed the primary cover in 91. Guess I was wrong. Sorry about the bad info. Kinda looks like you'll have to remove the cover to see what's going on in there. Well, the gaskets are still available.