Sportster in garage

Click to Enter!
jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Re: Sportster in garage

Post by jonnycando »

Sportster passed state inspection. Not that there was doubt. It's shabby but it all works.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

jonnycando wrote:Sportster passed state inspection. Not that there was doubt. It's shabby but it all works.
Was it from out of state?

That's the only time our vehicles get inspected.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

In Virginia you do it every year. And of course if it comes of out of state, you do it when you get it, or at least within a month or so. For they will look askance at you for having Virginia plates and a Timbuktu inspection sticker!

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

jonnycando wrote:In Virginia you do it every year. And of course if it comes of out of state, you do it when you get it, or at least within a month or so. For they will look askance at you for having Virginia plates and a Timbuktu inspection sticker!
We don't even have inspection stickers. :o

And, I'll bet our fees and taxes are a LOT higher than yours as well.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

Of course you as constable of the road are empowered to enforce whatever safety regulations might be on the books! And should people let their vehicle go downhill to a bad enough state, you are bound and sworn to say something to them if not issue a citation as well. With annual inspection at the very least, every vehicle is at a minimum standard of safety at all times. Of course some people manage to skate through with a basket case that gets a little worse every year. And there's always the shady inspection vendor who will if you can show that your horn works by beeping it as you pull into the inspection bay...will give you a sticker with no further ado.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

enforcer wrote:
jonnycando wrote:In Virginia you do it every year. And of course if it comes of out of state, you do it when you get it, or at least within a month or so. For they will look askance at you for having Virginia plates and a Timbuktu inspection sticker!

The inspection is about 20 bux....though some places will do it for free as an incentive or if you bought the vehicle there. The annual reg fee is about 50 dollars. And of course there's property tax and local license fee of 20 dollars. We used to get local license stickers to put next to the inspection stickers but some county's figured out that they could save a ton of money if they took your 20 registration fee and did NOT give you a sticker. So now the local license fee is buried in the tax bill, and they can notify the DMV if your tax isn't paid so you cannot renew your state registration! Generally speaking personal property taxes are very mild. They used to be usurious but the State came up with a plan where any locality which reduced it's property tax would get the lost revenue replaced by the state. It was fine so long as there was plenty of money around but as expenses go up, the property tax is creeping back up, though it is still heavily discounted and on sufficiently old vehicles, hardly worth mentioning.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

jonnycando wrote:
enforcer wrote:

The inspection is about 20 bux....though some places will do it for free as an incentive or if you bought the vehicle there. The annual reg fee is about 50 dollars. And of course there's property tax and local license fee of 20 dollars. We used to get local license stickers to put next to the inspection stickers but some county's figured out that they could save a ton of money if they took your 20 registration fee and did NOT give you a sticker. So now the local license fee is buried in the tax bill, and they can notify the DMV if your tax isn't paid so you cannot renew your state registration! Generally speaking personal property taxes are very mild. They used to be usurious but the State came up with a plan where any locality which reduced it's property tax would get the lost revenue replaced by the state. It was fine so long as there was plenty of money around but as expenses go up, the property tax is creeping back up, though it is still heavily discounted and on sufficiently old vehicles, hardly worth mentioning.
We have a wheel tax ($17.50 per wheel the vehicle has) + city and state tax (which are determined mostly by the age of the vehicle) and any applicable sales tax. When I first licensed my Harley, it cost me almost $300, this year, it should be around $60 if my math us is correct. The Beemer cost me about $75 the first year and should only be about $45 this year (older and lacking sales tax) But both cars I lease run me just over $300 per year (sales tax is built into the lease)

Not sure how that compares to yours, but I wish it was just a flat fee and sales tax when you bought it. That would be nice.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

I suppose there are some Rocket IIIs that catch my eye.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/5571810521.html

But I don't like the pipes. They just look funny.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

There's always the aftermarket for pipes......and we only pay sales tax once in Virginia....when we first get title to a vehicle. Property tax thereafter.

Steel
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Intruder 1400

Post by Steel »

With a Carpenter Racing pipe and the right tune you can expect 165-170 hp with 165+ tq.
New and improved, now with 30% more sarcasm.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

Steel wrote:With a Carpenter Racing pipe and the right tune you can expect 165-170 hp with 165+ tq.
Classy looking 3 into 1. [emoji106]

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

The Rocket Touring is detuned so as to bring the torque curve down it peaks just off idle and remains flattish through the usual operating range for cruising and touring. I wonder if instead of 160 horsies would I just get a super lean gasping engine? I guess you could get the roadsters fuel curve installed but unless that happened you'd need a pipe especially for the tourers state of tune would you not? And of course opening up a pipe moves the power range up and the torque curve gets peaky too. Definitely not what you want a touring engine to do. Frankly, what impresses me far more than speed, is the ability to accelerate from a dead stop in fifth gear. Not that I would, just knowing that I can.

Steel
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Steel »

If you want a Touring, they have big dual pipes stock. Not the 2 on one side 1 on the other like the older Rockets. You can put a free tune to keep the touring torque curve with 30 more hp.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

Steel wrote:If you want a Touring, they have big dual pipes stock. Not the 2 on one side 1 on the other like the older Rockets. You can put a free tune to keep the touring torque curve with 30 more hp.
Kewl!

Steel
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Steel »

If you go that route, let me know, and I'll help you find the information you need and put you in touch with the right people. [emoji106]

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

Sporster has a license plate...and insurance. Transmission is loosening up more and more all the time. Has less than 500 miles added in the last three or four years. That's a wretched way to treat a bike!