Sportster in garage

Click to Enter!
old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Re: Sportster in garage

Post by old time rider »

I made most all my simple side gaskets for years.The hole and cutters sets are cheap and even a ritz box doEws ok if out of gasket materal.Justdap and smear a little grease on the sides when ready.On adjusting the free play in the front chain I bend a big paper clip out then bend up the amout of free play called for and hold it aginst the case and into the inter case.So much better than the big hogs in that you have the adjustment and lock nut on out side under.Now the big ones and maybe the sportster have self adjust.Rubber mout,balance,self adjustments.Sure are gal bikes now [emoji2] .The old ones having Hyd valves since 1949 was good but now they are more don't touch me than the Japan bikes :lmao: .

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

I did note that while twirling the adjusting screw the clutch lever would go in an out as the screw was turned one way or the other. Makes me wonder if, 1) we once more shorten the cable as far it will go and then 2) work the adjustment screw to bring the lever in farther toward the grip if it will go farther. And reckoning that where the lever is closest to the grip and turning the screw slightly one way brings it out, and the other way back in. That spot should be either the happy medium or just clockwise of the happy medium? Anyone care to posit on that theory? Or get us going in the correct direction? Before attempting to adjust; the shifter could find neutral as easily as might be expected, but would grind when dropping into first, unless you tromped on the shifter smartly. And 3rd gear cannot be obtained unless you reach down and pull up with your hand and then work the clutch. Pulling the clutch and pulling up your foot won't get it. And there after when we tried an adjustment, first gear was a little easier to obtain...neutral was hard to find. And third gear was the same. I am thinking there may be a transmission issue here, but the clutch has to be right and therefore ruled out before we go looking into the guts of the gearbox.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Did that on my Vstrom last week when I put the new front sprocket and chain on.Had used most the play at lever as it now has 52,000 on factory clutch.Took all but a little of the play at clutch end and lever end all most all the way back again.After a few adjustments is better than its been in awhile and may get another bunch of miles out of factory clutch.You can just shut the gas all the way back at throttle fast as you shift and do not need clutch.Did it lots of times at the strip on drag bikes when clutch was becoming hot after a few runs.Rode a 650SX in for a guy broke down on side of road with a broken cable.He did not think you could do that.Just had him ride my bike and push me at start so did not have to take off with clutch and went all the way across our small town to mc shop on other side by gearing down and makeing lights with out ever coming to a full stop.IIf a stop you need if no push for the start.Most old dirt bike riders have done it broke down in the trails or woods.Not hard once you have done it once.Good luck :cheers: .

-DC-
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: RT SM6 + XL1200C

Post by -DC- »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:My sweet wifes 06 1200 Sporty was pretty quick also.....she could do wheelie's with it in 1st and 2nd gear :rag:
Even with my ass on it it outran a 1400 off the line a couple of times [emoji106]
That 06 1200C is a special breed.. :wink: Last of the carburated, high flow heads, slightly higher comp, Erik Buell designed hotter cams, generous needles from the factory to compensate, pushing close to 80ft/lbs in factory form..and likes to rev with that big sucker intake and open pipes....

Yea......It does pretty good, even with my fat azz on it I have to work to keep the front end planted in 1st... [emoji106]
Being a grandpa is the bees knees.... :putput:

-DC-
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by -DC- »

Enjoy that rascal Jonny.....1200 sportys are a lot of fun to ride! [emoji106]

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

1200 sportsters...fuggin girly bikes.

:evil: :evil:

[emoji476]
-DBTO

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

jonnycando wrote:I did note that while twirling the adjusting screw the clutch lever would go in an out as the screw was turned one way or the other. Makes me wonder if, 1) we once more shorten the cable as far it will go and then 2) work the adjustment screw to bring the lever in farther toward the grip if it will go farther. And reckoning that where the lever is closest to the grip and turning the screw slightly one way brings it out, and the other way back in. That spot should be either the happy medium or just clockwise of the happy medium? Anyone care to posit on that theory? Or get us going in the correct direction? Before attempting to adjust; the shifter could find neutral as easily as might be expected, but would grind when dropping into first, unless you tromped on the shifter smartly. And 3rd gear cannot be obtained unless you reach down and pull up with your hand and then work the clutch. Pulling the clutch and pulling up your foot won't get it. And there after when we tried an adjustment, first gear was a little easier to obtain...neutral was hard to find. And third gear was the same. I am thinking there may be a transmission issue here, but the clutch has to be right and therefore ruled out before we go looking into the guts of the gearbox.
Just addressing the grinding going into first. They'll do that if the idle is too high. It does sound like you have a transmission issue. Go over to the XL forum, lots of good info there.

-DC-
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by -DC- »

MadCow wrote:1200 sportsters...fuggin girly bikes.

[emoji476]
Say what? We can't hear ya?...VRROOOM....VROOOOM... [emoji2]

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

For 800 bux and some design cues from a Mexican it'll be a fine bike for whoever wants to ride it. Not mine, but I am having fun tinkering with it. The clutch decided it wanted to work while I was out AT work. And the transmission is improving slightly. I think all in all it just needs to be taken out and flogged for a good number of miles.

Close examination of the jugs indicates they are the original 883 jugs. A call back to the PO revealed that rather than a 1200 kit...it was bored to 1200. The complicated way of getting more cubic inches, but it got the desired result....it's got every bit of get up and go that a well tuned Intruder has. And as for polishing this turd....well....a shiny turd is better than a dull one. A pic or two soon. Next trick is to find the A/F screw and pull the plug out of that.

Teach
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Teach »

I wasn't aware the 883 juggs could be taken out to 12. What about the heads, stamped 12?
You lost me on the clutch cable adjustment. If I recall, and it's been a while, there should be a barrel nut about halfway down the cable by the cross brace. Adjust there if that isn't what you have been doing.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

MadCow wrote:1200 sportsters...fuggin girly bikes.

[emoji476]
http://burlybrandblog.com/wp-content/up ... 24x682.jpg

Why yes, yes it is. And let me just add............Giggity. [emoji106]

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

Teach wrote:I wasn't aware the 883 juggs could be taken out to 12. What about the heads, stamped 12?
You lost me on the clutch cable adjustment. If I recall, and it's been a while, there should be a barrel nut about halfway down the cable by the cross brace. Adjust there if that isn't what you have been doing.
There's enough meat there to do it, and with the right Pistons, you can use the stock 883 heads.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

Teach wrote:I wasn't aware the 883 jugs could be taken out to 12. What about the heads, stamped 12?
I don't know if they can be bored that big either, but if they can be bored any it will result in a few extra cc's. And I reckon pistons would be available for any known rebore. Heck, I am have never piloted an actual 883 so couldn't tell you what it would feel like, all I can say is this bike squats in the rear and hikes up on the fork when you take off. I will poke around the heads to see what marks may be there. But I've heard you can put 883 heads on a 1200 jug so I reckon it will fit on any lesser bore that may be available to do.

As for the clutch we followed book procedure....barrel nut and all...and it took some fiddling but it's in a decent if not perfect spot just now.

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

MattSunn wrote:

:rock: :rock: :rock:
-DBTO

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

It is a rather small frame for the likes of moi.....but with forward control, a tractor seat and some apes....I could zip around town.

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

-DC- wrote: Say what? We can't hear ya?...VRROOOM....VROOOOM... [emoji2]
[emoji106] :rock:
-DBTO

-DC-
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by -DC- »

jonnycando wrote:It is a rather small frame for the likes of moi.....but with forward control, a tractor seat and some apes....I could zip around town.
All I needed was the sundowner seat and handlebars to make mine tolerable enough, it already had the forwards...I am 5'9" and did over 2300 miles over 8 days and wasn't completely dead yet...The only improvement I could see for MORE distance riding is a Russell "Day Long" seat treatment.....But those suckers look so goofy on a sporty I gotta weigh out the pro's and con's first.. [emoji2]

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: VS1400 + VL1500

Post by scootermcq »

MattSunn wrote:

I am personally concerned for the young ladies safety and lack of personal protective equipment. :blink:
Scott

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

She ain't safe....but she looks good. :rag:

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

-DC- wrote:
jonnycando wrote:It is a rather small frame for the likes of moi.....but with forward control, a tractor seat and some apes....I could zip around town.
All I needed was the sundowner seat and handlebars to make mine tolerable enough, it already had the forwards...I am 5'9" and did over 2300 miles over 8 days and wasn't completely dead yet...The only improvement I could see for MORE distance riding is a Russell "Day Long" seat treatment.....But those suckers look so goofy on a sporty I gotta weigh out the pro's and con's first.. [emoji2]
The Russell seat is for when you are so fed up with what else is out there that you'll take function over form and never look back.

As this bike is....it gets more comfy if I sit on the pillion and lean forward just a bit. At least then my legs can work with the stock midsets.