Progressive Touring Link

Click to Enter!
enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Progressive Touring Link

Post by enforcer »

Ok, I know there's more than just me with a Harley touring bike here. Who's bought one of these and was it ride changing or just a gimmick?
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Re: Progressive Touring Link

Post by YoDude »

Not me, but maybe there are others that have!

Yo
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

Well, after exhaustive research, here's my conclusions for the time being.

I'm going to start with Sta Bo bushings (they take up the excessive slack in the stock swingarm bushings)

After that, if there's still some wobble, I'll go with a Touring Link, Bagger Brace, or one of the many other fine frame stabilizers.

If there's still play, I'll replace the front stabilizer, more than likely with an aftermarket one.

Next step would be a tighter front bushing.

I'm replacing in pieces to reduce chance of transmitting too much vibration to the frame and thus back to the motor.

I'll post back some results as I go along.

I still have one more bike to finish first.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

98VS1400 wrote:This might seem like a smart ass reply, but seriously, it isn't! Are you trying to eliminate the Harley death wobble, or mitigate some of the inherent vibrations caused by the venerable Harley V-Twin?

I posted this topic on the FB group as a way to generate some replies, but also to draw some people to the forum. Whatever your issue is, I certainly have confidence that you'll be able to fix it.
It's not really a death wobble, but it is there and it's an inherent design flaw. The swing arm bushings are where it starts. Then the fact that there's really no rear stabilizer it causes the weight distribution to become off balance.

It's not always present, but windy conditions and high speed curves really bring it out. I'm starting small so as to eliminate the wobble but not create another issue.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

enforcer wrote:
98VS1400 wrote:This might seem like a smart ass reply, but seriously, it isn't! Are you trying to eliminate the Harley death wobble, or mitigate some of the inherent vibrations caused by the venerable Harley V-Twin?

I posted this topic on the FB group as a way to generate some replies, but also to draw some people to the forum. Whatever your issue is, I certainly have confidence that you'll be able to fix it.
It's not really a death wobble, but it is there and it's an inherent design flaw. The swing arm bushings are where it starts. Then the fact that there's really no rear stabilizer it causes the weight distribution to become off balance.

It's not always present, but windy conditions and high speed curves really bring it out. I'm starting small so as to eliminate the wobble but not create another issue.

If I may ask.....
What model of Harley Davidson are you having problems with a death wobble? exactly.......
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

I wish everyone would stop referring to it as a "death wobble". I know I'm not going to die. It's just a slight wobble at high speeds and it gets worse when it's windy and even worse when I add my lowers while it's windy. I rode today, surface roads, and had no issue. I just want to correct now before I take any real long trips.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

Well, now it's time to see what all the hype is about. I won a set of Sta-Bo swingarm bushings for $45 shipped on eBay. What can I say, I'm a cheap ass. They retail for $110 + shipping new and these only claim 100 miles of use. I'm not paying 100+ for rubber bushings. Not to HD or anyone else.I'll have to post a review once I get and install them. Fingers crossed.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

Good luck!

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

Got the Sta-Bo today. Installed it tonight, test ride tomorrow morning. Fairly easy, straight forward install. Will post results tomorrow.

Nevermind, damn rain. :hellfire: Maybe another day.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

Well, I only got to ride to work today, but all I have to say is, wow. The heavy winds didn't even make the rear end budge. Cross winds still pushed the front around, but that's to be expected with dual rotors. I may put a new front stabilizer on, but for now, I'm glad a couple bushings for $45 is all I needed.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

Late to this party but I have seen tricks whereby if one can restrict the sideways movement of the engine, it will dampen to tendency to wobble. Seems that the problem started when they were inventing engine mounting means to absorb vibration they not only worked on the rocking fore and aft, but gave some allowance for lateral movement as well. At certain road speed and engine speeds the engine can get into a lateral rhythm that works the whole frame, and the wobble is what results. Get under the bike and look for the crossmember that allows lateral movement, and fill the space with washers or whatever to restrict lateral movement. You may find the engine vibrates more....but bikes do that, they are NOT supposed to wobble. If you think you swing arm bushings are contributing, I am sure you can get polyurethane replacements that are much harder.

In general, if any bike begins to wobble....roll off throttle, and let the bike slow down.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

jonnycando wrote:Late to this party but I have seen tricks whereby if one can restrict the sideways movement of the engine, it will dampen to tendency to wobble. Seems that the problem started when they were inventing engine mounting means to absorb vibration they not only worked on the rocking fore and aft, but gave some allowance for lateral movement as well. At certain road speed and engine speeds the engine can get into a lateral rhythm that works the whole frame, and the wobble is what results. Get under the bike and look for the crossmember that allows lateral movement, and fill the space with washers or whatever to restrict lateral movement. You may find the engine vibrates more....but bikes do that, they are NOT supposed to wobble. If you think you swing arm bushings are contributing, I am sure you can get polyurethane replacements that are much harder.

In general, if any bike begins to wobble....roll off throttle, and let the bike slow down.
Yeah, I fixed the swing arm with the Sta Bo. It's an eccentric bushing that restricts not only lateral movement, but the fore and aft you're speaking of as well. I believe the adopted technical term is "rear steer" as opposed to "death wobble". At any rate, after I few more rides, I'm positive I cured it.

Elsie rider
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: HD Triglide

Post by Elsie rider »

I have owned 5 Harleys ( still have 2 ) and none had the death wobble....ONLY bike I had that had a wobble...the LC1500 when you use the Suzuki PSI in the front tire...that tire would cup in noo time at suggested PSI and start to wobble.

now an 03 bike is a 13 year old bike. Ride it much I am sure bushings and bearing might not need to be replaced, but would not hurt to tighten things back up..and if bought new, that bike being 13 year on the rode and no death wobble there.