More goodies for the V Strom....

Post mods to non specific brands or models of bikes here.
hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

More goodies for the V Strom....

Post by hillsy v2 »

So I had a thread for the Booster Plug over here: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=14123

Which I added the footpeg adaptors into....but I thought I'd make a new thread for other stuff.
Out with the old....

In with the new......
By the way - it took a few rides to get used to the peg adaptors - but they are awesome now :rock:

Anyway, in the finest "it's only money" fashion I shelled out for a TRE.....

Actually - I got this locally for cheap so it wasn't such a big outlay.

For those who don't know - a TRE is a timing retardation eliminator. Lots of bigger bikes have the ignition timing "limited" or "retarded" in the lower gears so as not to apply full power. The reason being this makes them more civilized and less prone to wheelies, etc. The TRE over rides that and allows you to select an ignition map to fool the bike into thinking it is in a specific gear all the time. You can select any of the gears with this bit of kit - however gears 1-3 are timing limited on the Strom so there's not much point selecting them. Gears 4-6 are not limited but there are slight differences between them (EG: gear 6 has a speed limiter, etc). It's also unpluggable so you can return the bike to stock quickly (like the Booster Plug). It should be fun to mess around with different gear maps and see what the differences are on the road.

Anyway, I have a few other bits on the way so this will probably wait until next weekend to fit them all at once.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: More goodies for the V Strom....

Post by hillsy v2 »

So the TRE was a bit of a fizzer. Seat of my pants dyno can't tell any difference. I contacted the manufacturer and they said maybe I should try a different type of TRE (that they conveniently sell as well). Other feedback from forums shows mixed results with a TRE on the Strom so I think it's just not an engine that benefits from the change (unlike a Busa).

Anyway, I was starting to get pissed off with the ever present helmet buffeting. It's a pretty common complaint for taller riders as the stock screen just doesn't come up high enough.

I found a second hand Givi Airflow screen on FB marketplace not far from me. It was about a 3rd of the price of a new one so worth having a go:

Here's a side view from a different bike:

It's a 2 stage screen that allows air through onto the rider but the secondary screen deflects the majority of the wind. I gotta say - it's fkn AMAZING.

It's the same amount of wind blast from 30MPH to 100MPH. I can comfortably ride with my visor open at any speed.

Here's the old screen versus the new:

Not the best photo but you can see the visor thing I tried on the stock screen in an attempt to tame the buffeting (didn't really work).

Anyway - I have a new bike to ride now...or at least it feels like it :ShitGrinandThumb:

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: More goodies for the V Strom....

Post by sgtcall »

:ShitGrinandThumb:
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.