Boost sensor!

Post mods to non specific brands or models of bikes here.
Voodoo13
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder 1400 1999

Boost sensor!

Post by Voodoo13 »

Hey people!

Can I by any means bypass yhe boost sensor?

Im upgrading my electricity and this bastard is taking to much room.

:Umm:
Yours truly,

Arne Kristinn

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Boost sensor!

Post by Herb »

The book doesn't cover the actual use of the boost sensor. The testing of it does tell us that it varies votage from the ignition unit from 3-2 volts so the ignitor must need a voltage signal from it.
Not real sure but I would say that the lower voltage causes an advance in the ignition timing. This means that it is a required component of the ignition system.

If you have the manual you can find the testing procedure starting on page 265.

If you don't have the manual either I or SgtCall can get you a digital copy, PM either one of us with your email and we can send it to you.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Voodoo13
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder 1400 1999

Post by Voodoo13 »

Herb wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:34 am
The book doesn't cover the actual use of the boost sensor. The testing of it does tell us that it varies votage from the ignition unit from 3-2 volts so the ignitor must need a voltage signal from it.
Not real sure but I would say that the lower voltage causes an advance in the ignition timing. This means that it is a required component of the ignition system.

If you have the manual you can find the testing procedure starting on page 265.

If you don't have the manual either I or SgtCall can get you a digital copy, PM either one of us with your email and we can send it to you.
Thank you! I have the manual. Just wondering if there is something like a retarder or a smaller unit to hook up to the ignition
Yours truly,

Arne Kristinn

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

As Herb points out, the Boost Sensor alters Ignition Timing. :space: The net effect is to improve gas mileage.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

sky02
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: VS1400 93

Post by sky02 »

Boost sensor switches between two types of ignition advance in higher RPM: standard (around 30 degrees) and cruising (around 50 degrees). The second one is better for fuel but will be dangerous on higher load.
If you can cut the boost sensor and set a fixed signal for the high vacuum you will get an ignition like on the older models without the boost sensor.
If think that the signal for low vacuum and cruising ignition is 3V and switching point is vacuum higher that 250mmHg and signal at 2V. It could be done with resistors.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I don't really know if it helps all that much. a few years ago I plugged that vacuum line to the bost sensor and rode it for 5 tanks of gas. The mileage and performance difference was undetectable.

I did the test and it showed the sensor was working correctly.

I don't know what would happen if the electric connection was disconnected.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.