My Resurrection Thread

Post mods to non specific brands or models of bikes here.
hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: My Resurrection Thread

Post by hillsy v2 »

Take the float and needle out like in the pic above. Put your finger over the seat and blow in the fuel line. If it's leaking through the o ring you will hear it hiss.

There's only 2 places it can leak - the o ring and the valve itself. It's not rocket science.

ncdave
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 97 1400 Intruder

Post by ncdave »

finally got the carbs pulled and sent back to the guy that rebuilt them. he's going to pressure test and try to determine the cause.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

ncdave wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:49 am
finally got the carbs pulled and sent back to the guy that rebuilt them. he's going to pressure test and try to determine the cause.
After all you've been through with these Carbs,....I am sorry you have to end up doing this.

Dang It All. :hellfire:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

Designer wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:47 am
ncdave wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:49 am
After all you've been through with these Carbs,....I am sorry you have to end up doing this.

Dang It All. :hellfire:
no worries really. I'm not rushing through and have a KLR650 I'm resurrecting as well, so I have time. I also have a bathroom remodel project occupying my time. that plus it's summer time and I spend a lot of time on the lake with the family. Never a dull moment! :D

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

ncdave wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:04 am
Designer wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:47 am
After all you've been through with these Carbs,....I am sorry you have to end up doing this. Dang It All. :hellfire:
no worries really. I'm not rushing through and have a KLR650 I'm resurrecting as well, so I have time. I also have a bathroom remodel project occupying my time. that plus it's summer time and I spend a lot of time on the lake with the family. Never a dull moment! :D

Okay,.....good that you have other "irons in the fire" to keep you going. :space: :ShitGrinandThumb:

Thanks for the update..

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

My KLR project is coming along nicely!

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

I finally heard back from my carb guy. it seems when he rebuilt them, he used the incorrect float needles. Not really sure if it was the wrong rebuild kit, or where the mistake was. However, he said he's got them working fine and has bench tested with a fuel pump and they are working as expected. They are being shipped back and I should have them within a few days.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

ncdave wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:15 am
I finally heard back from my carb guy. it seems when he rebuilt them, he used the incorrect float needles. Not really sure if it was the wrong rebuild kit, or where the mistake was. However, he said he's got them working fine and has bench tested with a fuel pump and they are working as expected. They are being shipped back and I should have them within a few days.
YAAAAY! :space: :clap:

I'm a-wanting to hear about you Ridin' that Bad Boy of yours! :space: :rock:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

ncdave wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:15 am
At least he was honest about it I suppose.

Hope he did a good job with all the other bits on them.

Fingers crossed :cheers:

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

Ok guys....the good news.....we have a runner! I finally got a break to install the carbs and no fuel leaking this time! :clap:

now the other stuff for which I could use some suggestions.

first, I'm getting some popping and backfiring. worse when cold, still some when warmed up, and on decel. potential air leak? I'll check that with a spray can. Other ideas?

Second, RPMs not falling quickly when I close the throttle. suggestions?

I was able to run it up and down the street. Went through a few gears. the motor felt good. seemed to have good power.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

ncdave wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:02 am
Ok guys....the good news.....we have a runner! I finally got a break to install the carbs and no fuel leaking this time! :clap:

now the other stuff for which I could use some suggestions.

first, I'm getting some popping and backfiring. worse when cold, still some when warmed up, and on decel. potential air leak? I'll check that with a spray can. Other ideas?

Second, RPMs not falling quickly when I close the throttle. suggestions?

I was able to run it up and down the street. Went through a few gears. the motor felt good. seemed to have good power.

Popping and rpm issues will be idle mixture screws and sync.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

You may want to read into this.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14521
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

So, I found one basic problem. On the rear carb, I didn't install the spring and plunger on the choke cable. That helped with the backfire/pop and somewhat helped with the fast idle. It's still not quite right, so I'll next balance the carbs.

on my VX800 I had made a home-made balancer with a long length of tube with transmission fluid to use for balancing. unless someone has some other ideas for me, i plan to take that approach.

Good news is it's running and just needs to be dialed in. I'm sure I can get this thing back on the road!

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

ncdave wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:50 am

on my VX800 I had made a home-made balancer with a long length of tube with transmission fluid to use for balancing. unless someone has some other ideas for me, i plan to take that approach.

It's the cheapest and best option for a twin.

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

after watching a number of carb tuning videos, none of which were very good, I decided to purchase a set of gauges off amazon. 22 bucks and probably as cheap as picking up the parts I'd need to make my own. I think I have the concept down about tuning everything. it sure seems to be more of an art than a science. I don't remember my VX800 being so much trouble. it was 15 or more years ago though. :)

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

ncdave wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:13 pm
after watching a number of carb tuning videos, none of which were very good, I decided to purchase a set of gauges off amazon. 22 bucks and probably as cheap as picking up the parts I'd need to make my own.
I can't imagine anything simpler than a length of hose with a bit of oil in it. Perfect for a twin but each to their own. Hope your Amazon gauges are adjustable so you can get them to read the same.

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:46 pm

I can't imagine anything simpler than a length of hose with a bit of oil in it. Perfect for a twin but each to their own. Hope your Amazon gauges are adjustable so you can get them to read the same.
they are. it's not an expensive setup. there's adjustment to get the gauges in sync, but also to adjust the vacuum pressure so the gauges don't jump a lot.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

ncdave wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:35 am
........ there's adjustment to get the gauges in sync, but also to adjust the vacuum pressure so the gauges don't jump a lot.
This is essential to making gauges a viable instrument to get an adjustment that is accurate and "rideable"

My friend had a set of Gauges without this feature and he was shocked at the sheer amount of fluctuation of the needles.

So I made him some "restrictors" to fit inline with the vacuum hoses and he was finally able to adjust things well.

I use Carb Tune myself.

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

Hopefully this is the last ride the Intruder will have to take. I took it up to the DMV so I could get an inspection done for a bonded title. Now that I have all the paperwork in hand, I'm heading out today to get title work and registration done. Hopefully I'll be legally on the road soon.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Yess-SIREE! :space: Get that Bad Boy of yours On The Road,..and RIDING! :space: :rock:

BTW,...what's dat red Doo-Dad dats a-hanging offa your Rear Plate Bracket? :space: :Umm:

:ShitGrin: