Chop Shop

Post mods to non specific brands or models of bikes here.
Tripseven
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: Sold it for an 82 Corvette

Chop Shop

Post by Tripseven »

:Umm: :HatTip: I asked for this spot. Thank you!!

Anyway, I don't actually have a mod to put in here yet. So don't wait on me...

A couple of the things I want to do to my scooter include a tank expansion, adding a set of longer forks. Higher output headlights, and some minor cosmetics like changing the color of the pleather on the seats.

When I get them started I'll post them here.

I'd love to be in the movies, but I have a face for radio, a voice for writing, and arthritis

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Re: Chop Shop

Post by Jolsen »

I love my light gray seat no more burnt butt lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

Tripseven
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Tripseven »

I beg your forbearance. I feel bad for requesting this forum and not putting anything in it. I have plans to post mods to my bike. Honest.
Anyway, this is the project currently underway and soon to be finished. Not all the pictures are very recent as you will see by the date stamps.
This is my “Franken-truck”. I originally bought it in 1992. Image
It was a 1964 short box stepside 4x4, with an inline six and a manual 4spd.
Due to my failure to verify information I was given, it is now a ’63 body on a ’64 chassis. It has a mid 80’s engine and tranny hooked to a freshly rebuilt ’64 t-case. (I was told from ’60 to ‘66 all body styles were the same. They are not. I bought a ’63 for parts before I discovered my error.) The new "donor" truck: Image
Because the earlier body was in better condition than my ’64 I decided to do a swap. The ’63 also had already been converted into a rat-rod with a v-8 and auto trans. While The body was off I wire wheeled the frame and painted the frame black. Image
It now sports a 350 v8, 700r4 tranny linked to the original (rebuilt) Timken t-case. Custom disc breaks up front (hubs out of a Dana 44 machined to fit my enclosed knuckle front axle) and new manual locking hubs.
The original drum rear brakes were rebuilt. The picture isn't much to look at, but behind the plate is a disc brake.Image
The gas tank relocated from behind the seat, and increased to 25 gallons. Under the bed between the frame rails. Image
The fill nozzle is in the drivers side rear fender just above the turn signal. The turn signals are specialty pieces done by the rat-rodder. Image
They came off of something older and were originally vertical fins. You can kinda peek at the wood bed in this shot.
I’ve worked on this off and on since 1998 when I left the Navy. When I had time I’d do it, when I had money I’d buy parts and store them ‘til I had more time…
I had hoped to have it completed by the end of 2012, the t-case caused some delays. I bought two additional t-cases to try and rebuild, both were trash. I added a floor shifter to keep the look of the 4spd manual: Image
Finally, The t-case was completed this week and delivered to the mechanic for installation. Not shown are the twin stick shift levers for the t-case.
I've added an aftermarket A/C and pine bed,(not shown) which are period correct. Other additions include: an all new wiring harness it's still a mess in the picture. But it's been routed thru a loom and tied down. I've replaced the gage cluster with the modified/updated one, cruise control, and a custom tilt steering column with a Grant GT mahogany steering wheel.

Like I said earlier, some of these pics are a bit old. I'm not as close as I'd like to be in order to take more regular shots...

Thanks for looking!

I'd love to be in the movies, but I have a face for radio, a voice for writing, and arthritis

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

What? Mopar or no car!!!

Nice e

Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

Tripseven
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Tripseven »

I actually want to do a 1953 or 1959 Dodge 4x4 quad cab, but in diesel...

The chevy is just what landed in my lap first. :cheers:

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

What diesel?

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

I'm trying to figure out a way to fit a 5.9 12v in my 74 duster....

Tripseven
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Tripseven »

I'd do a 24v 5.9 cummins. A cummins in a duster? heavy man heavy.

I saw a 6.5 chevy diesel in a corvette. It gave him 35mpg!

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

The 24v is full of computers and the vp44 is limited. 12v all mechanical. I have the 24v in my truck.

Tripseven
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Tripseven »

I had the 12v in my '98 4x4. I test drove a 24v later, and the performance difference was seat of the pants obvious. It made me wish I had bought the 24v in the first place.

The 12v is bullet proof, but kinda sluggish performance wise.

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

Nothing a quick pump adjustment can't fix

Tripseven
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Tripseven »

Jolsen wrote:Nothing a quick pump adjustment can't fix

Really? I didn't know. I thought it had more to do with being able to breathe better. More airflow via more valves...

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

Nope I can add 30-50 HP to a 12v for free.

Spitfire
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by Spitfire »

Hello, anyone home? ;IDunno:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

Jolsen is on extended leave until he decides to come back one day. 777, haven't seen him around much either lately.
I like his truck though.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

Tripseven
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Tripseven »

Here's my story
its sad but true...
The mechanic I been usin'
gave me the blues.

The Franken-truck is on the slab with a new Doctor. I've had to find another shop to work on him. Fortunately the work which has been done wasn't completed so re-work isn't much of a concern. I may need to find an additional truck for donor parts tho.

I met with the new shop owner last week, I'm excited about the quality work they do, not so excited about the price tag.
No new pictures yet. I expect regular photographic updates, and a completed truck in about 8-10 months.

They are going to do a body off media blast of the body and rolling chassis. flat black epoxy for the frame, and body work where the cab needs it.

I need to decide if I'm going to spend for a 290hp longblock soon, or just go with the engine I already have. I'm leaning toward new longblock.

More to come...

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

:rock: :rock: :rock:
-DBTO

Spitfire
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by Spitfire »

Off Topic
Sounds like my luck doing that kinda project. Would you believe I've tried since January to get a tree service to move a 7" diameter tree about 30' in my backyard! The tree is now booming and it is to late to move it. The guy always had a whole slew of excuses but you can bet he will not be called when the tree again becomes dormant. Think I will check to see if I can rent a tree spade to move it myself. Hell, I'll chop it down myself before I call him again. :hellfire: Sorry drifted off the topic there a bit. :soapbox:
Moderator 98VS1400: I fixed your off-topic comment!

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Man we have so many places to go! Keep finding ones not stopped at yet like this one! I have all ways been a old car /truck nut. Owned five in the 30s with three being trucks.Still have my 37 that I put a 283 and pg in in 1977 when I got it.Its a full fendered rat more than anything.Did drive it a lot but like me needs repair often any more.On blocks now with fuel pump off and need to jack motor up and replace f.plug under left motor mount again! Had four 57 chevys and two 55 plus a 56 Ford ragtop. Had a 64 chevy short wide bed for five years and replaced it with the 37.ImageThis is the 37 with my 1984 softtail infront Carl David from FL on this board has had so many and knows so much about the old stuff. Frank on the purple board knows a lot about them to be so young and has a 59 Ford. Lets start this one moving and talk old stuff. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Spit fire about that tree...................98 or Deputy Dawg has a new side line of pullin trees and fences.Image 7 this is the 37 on first run with the 67 283 in 1977.Did not even have floor boards in it yet.