My Recent Condensed Travels

Places you've been to. Things you've seen.
Share your riding and gathering Vids here.
Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

My Recent Condensed Travels

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

I say recent ... these pics were taken in the last 10 years or so

My sweet wife and I..... October 2007 Mount Nebo, Arkansas near Russellville

The wife and I with friends...2006 .. Texas Hill Country...Luckenbach,Texas...POP..3

11th Street Bar and Grille 2006 Bandera,Texas same trip....Motorcycles everywhere..
This small town in the middle of the Hill Country hosts a bike rally in March every year,
we tried to make reservations in 2007 near by but the closest we could find accommodations was in Boerne 25 miles away.. it was a fun trip

Dickie and I....Texas, New Mexico, Colorado Tour July 2007
Took us two days to cross Texas and half of New Mexico , we were taking our time since we weren't in a hurry, spent the 1st nite in Abilene, the 2nd nite in Albuquerque. 1,015 miles in two days ain't half bad for two old foogies like ourselves.
Leaving Texas

Santa Rosa, New Mexico... we had to hole up at this gas stop for over two hours to let a dangerous thunderstorm pass on our intended route , we didn't know it at the time but base ball size hail was falling between us and Clines Corner 55 miles distant, you could see the storm from where we were... the skies were black...several cages pulled into the gas stop with dents all over their hoods and tops, one truck had his windshield shattered. Thanks to the attendant at the gas stop we didn't travel right into that bad boy.

Leaving New Mexico

The Million Dollar Highway... between Durango and Montrose, Colorado
Some of the nicest roads we have ridden together, even met some folks from Alexandria,La
on one of the look outs..The beauty of that route could not be show cased in one or two pics....This road should be on every riders bucket list. the road is literally carved out of the many mountains it passes through. Caution.... Watch out for fallen rocks, Hiway department does make periodic inspections, we encountered several places with rocks the size of basketballs on the roadway.

The bikes were everywhere on this road...we must have seen at least 150 bikers on that 110 mile stretch..

Monarch Pass...We left Montrose, Colorado in the early morning hours, in the dark and it was a comfortable 51 degrees.. we we arrived at Monarch it was a cold 37 degrees and this was July :eek: for these two Cajuns this was an eye opener... we did bring some clothes for chilly weather but weren't prepared for the colder temps in the higher elevations.
We were still having a blast though, although Dickie looks like he just got stung by a bee or something :big grin:

The views from the Pass were gorgeous..you could look in any direction and there was an eyeful of beauty everywhere...

Red Mountain Pass... between Silverado and Ouray ... here is where we met the couple from Lousiana.. they both rode and were impressed with our trip on the bikes...

Everyone needs a riding partner like I've got in Dickie....He refuses to ride a dirty bike after a day on the road...he cleaned both of our bikes religiously every night we were on the road. 8 days on the road...3,589 miles... 448 miles a day..49.8 MPG on my 2004 Harley Deuce and 48.9 MPG on Dickie's 2003 Harley Low Rider ..Image

More pics of other places to follow when I have more time..An here they are...

Deals Gap... October 2009 My first cousin and his wife rode with us to Crossville, Tennessee
where we stayed at a Time Share..Cindy and I on our bikes and Larry and Marilyn on his Honda trike

Punkin Center at the beginning of the Tail

Sweet Cindy Lou on the Tail ...she's become an accomplished rider in the few short years she's been riding..

Yours truly... Dang it was cold that morning..

Taken from the top of Fontana Dam on Hwy 28 looking downstream...

Cumberland State Park, near Crossville,Tenn the leaves were turning and the sights were beautuful. Me Cindy and Mariyln

Supper at Deals Gap.... we stayed at the motel there... good food and nice accommodations for the price.

And the customary photo in front of the signature Deals Gap sign

Big Bend National Park...United States and Mexican border April 2010
The Six Amigos spent several days touring the Park and the surrounding countryside.
We stayed in Alpine, Texas and used it as our center of operations..I recommend the Sunday Inn on the main drag as a suitable place to stay.

Leaving Alpine the first day ... as I've said before...If there is a Cajun in the crowd he will wave..

You don't get to see Dickie smile very often... :big grin:

We met this couple from British Columbia... they were touring the USA..They were all smiles when we introduced ourselves....They really appreciated the friendly gesture.
I sent them a copy of the pic to their email addy.

An old abandoned Calvary Fort inside the park. The venues were spectacular..

We met this dude in Fort Davis on the way to the McDonalds Observatory.., when we asked him why he didn't have a windshield on his rented Harley ( He was from Denmark BTW) he responded candidly.."Windshields are for pussies" :rag:

It's much easier to tell you where Dickie and I haven't been on two wheels. He has more miles on my six than any other riding buddy
McDonald's Observatory

Roadway leading up to the Observatory... A must see if you're anywhere nearby.

Park Entrance....for seniors it pays to go ahead and buy a National Parks pass.... it costs the same as the entry fee...10 bucks and with the card you can enter any National Park for free..

The Six Amigos...from left to right Cody, Gabe, Me, Dickie, Little Chuck and Barry
This was the bridge across the Pecos river on Hiway 90.. It is the highest hiway bridge in Texas.

Greune, Texas..... The Grist Mill Restaurant... On the way home we stopped in New Braunfels to spend our last night on the road and while we were there we met another world traveler by the name of Frank ( don't ask me to spell his last name :thumbup: ), this time from Germany....and he was headed to Big Bend... so we treated him to Supper, he was overwhelmed by the gesture... We still communicate by email ..

Still have some more to post when I have more time...
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Re: My Recent Condensed Travels

Post by YoDude »

Awesome trip. Love that sort of country. Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

PCC
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: GW TRIKE + 1300 Yamaha V Star

Post by PCC »

Love the pictures... :clap:
Been a few of those places :thumbup:
Read My Daily Musings On Numerous Topics
Especially Riding Motorcycles & Camera Captures
Of My Meanderings...

https://pcove99.wixsite.com/website

Spitfire
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by Spitfire »

Great pics and stories to go with them. Wife is off work this week so we were planning to squeeze in a ride or two but the weather is cold and wet ( a really good thing) so these are really appreciated. Maybe after Christmas day the weather will cooperate and I can quite living vicariously through these threads. :rag:

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Where do you reside Spitfire?
The great state of Louisiana is where I live, in the southwest corner about 40 miles from the Texas border with Texas...right along Interstate 10
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Spitfire
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by Spitfire »

West central Texas, about 1 hr south of Abilene.

Larry TN
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 1996 VS1400

Post by Larry TN »

If you get near Crossville, TN again, I would join you for a coffee. I live less than 30 miles from either intersection of I-40 at Crossville.
"Give the people you have offended time to apologize." -Rev Samuel Porter Jones (in 1906)

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Spitfire wrote:West central Texas, about 1 hr south of Abilene.

My father in law is from that part of the country, in fact he still owns some property in Rule on hiway 6, which is about an hour north of Abilene... We dove hunt there every year ( when there are a lot of doves) for the opening of the first season on September the first...Last year we limited out every day for the five days I hunted...75 total. I love that part of the state....you can see for miles in either direction... :thumbup:

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Larry TN wrote:If you get near Crossville, TN again, I would join you for a coffee. I live less than 30 miles from either intersection of I-40 at Crossville.

Norm Burns is from that section of the state also....Storminsince73 on the purple board
( I think )