Havin' Fun with a Sportster Rider

Places you've been to. Things you've seen.
Share your riding and gathering Vids here.
OldCoot
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: SOLD Suzuki S50

Havin' Fun with a Sportster Rider

Post by OldCoot »

Took a ride on my Aprilia SC250 yesterday with my two sons. My oldest was on his Ducati Multistrata and my middle son borrowed my Suzuki Boulevard S50. On our way home my sons were in front of me at a traffic light when a guy pulled up next to me on a noisy Sportster with straight pipes. Then he pulled in front of me to get next to the Suzuki. He asked my son what kind of bike he was on (I took the emblems off a while ago). My son said "it's a Suzuki" and then he pointed at me and said "it's his." The guy laughed and said something about "making him ride the scooter" and the light turned green. We all pulled away and he tried to pass all of us in the left lane so I just got behind him and we both passed my sons (they were being nice). The Harley rider nailed his throttle. I stayed right on his tail for a while, but when we hit 50 mph I let off and he pulled away. I think he was pretty surprised.

:putput:

That was the most fun I've had in a while. I just wish I'd been on my Suzuki. I'd think I could have really embarrassed him.

:smile:

We took a break at a church near Glassy Rock...

SOLD: 2008 Black Suzuki Boulevard S50

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Re: Havin' Fun with a Sportster Rider

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

It's really hard to resist the urge to peg the throttle in such scenarios, but I always managed, most of the time. My stage 3 LC1500 with aftermarket pipes and a Dyna 3000 ignitor would surprise some Harley cruiser riders back in the day, but I'm confident that any ol' stock Harley cruiser would shame me nowadays. Those Milwaukee-Eights are the bees knees. After two speeding tickets on my motorcycle, I don't really care so much about finding out. [space] [emoji2]
lovineveryminuteofit

OldCoot
Studying MC Handbook

Post by OldCoot »

SuzyRidr2 wrote:It's really hard to resist the urge to peg the throttle in such scenarios, but I always managed, most of the time. My stage 3 LC1500 with aftermarket pipes and a Dyna 3000 ignitor would surprise some Harley cruiser riders back in the day, but I'm confident that any ol' stock Harley cruiser would shame me nowadays. Those Milwaukee-Eights are the bees knees. After two speeding tickets on my motorcycle, I don't really care so much about finding out. [space] [emoji2]
You're right. I should be a better example to my sons. But I've been such a bad one for so long it's probably too late. One of those boys in the picture above is going to be 50 on his next birthday, and the other one is almost 44. (Man, do I feel like an OldCoot.) They've probably picked up all my bad habits by now. Oh well.

(Actually, they're both much more disciplined and well-behaved than their old man.)

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Old Coot ,Frank Tire God has a stage three 1500. My 1700 RoadStar stock but for a V&H two in to one would pull away big time from any 1500 till one day with the wife behine met a new guy that came with a friend we were down by Ky.river on some small back roads.Could tell his seemed better on the short burst we did from time to time. Back on the big lined roads we kicked them from a roll and he was beside me till fourth gear! Then the big Yamaha pulled a few bike lengths away.Later at a stop he told me my RoadStar sure ran good. Told him his ran far better than any I was ever beside.It was stage three and the carbs had been sent to G-Man. He all so had the extra gas tank. Nice old first year LC. His late dad had left it to him and had had the work done after buying new.It was the stock green/black paint. I liked the red/white and light yellow /white ones better in looks. :putput:
I have been to traffic school twice and lots of tickets :bonk: .Cops look like they may have skipped school that stop me now! When I was still doing a little back road racing in my 60s was fun to hear as race over some kid telling another,'Dam that old man can ride!" :lmao: :putput:

OldCoot
Studying MC Handbook

Post by OldCoot »

old time rider wrote:...When I was still doing a little back road racing in my 60s was fun to hear as race over some kid telling another,'Dam that old man can ride!" :lmao: :putput:
About ten years ago I was riding the Blue Ridge Parkway with my three sons and one of their friends. I had rented a HD Dyna in Maggie Valley. The bike I was riding belonged to the wife of the guy we rented it from. He'd hopped it up a bit, and put some straight pipes on it. We pulled on to a long parking area to take a break and someone said something about how the pipes sounded. I hadn't really nailed the throttle so while everyone was standing around I pulled out of my parking space and turned the throttle hard. The bike fishtailed back and forth all over the place and I was just hanging on, surprised as heck (and maybe a little scared, hehe). When I got back my son's friend said, "You're really a natural on that bike!" I just thanked him, of course, and acted like I was just showing off on purpose. (I never told him it was a big mistake, but I'm sure my sons all knew.)
:lmao:

Maggie Valley Ride 2008:

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

old time rider wrote: Told him his ran far better than any I was ever beside.It was stage three and the carbs had been sent to G-Man. :putput:
Old Time Rider mine is essentially the same set up. With K&N air filter that has an opening the size of a coffee can, Hard Krome 3 Inch Big Straights, Pingle fuel fliter, Dyna 3000 ignition. I think the main jet size is something like 20 sizes up from stock. The difference is night and day on the LC compared to stock. It's still pretty much done at 105 mph, it just gets you there a lot quicker. [space] [emoji2]
lovineveryminuteofit

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

The thing was really so much better than a stock 1500 and fourth gear before I started leaving him.My 1700 would be out of steam at 115.Its fifth gear is more like a over drive than most and better to leave in fourth in a race till around 110.This is all with stock speed-o so off some.

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

old time rider wrote:The thing was really so much better than a stock 1500 and fourth gear before I started leaving him.My 1700 would be out of steam at 115.Its fifth gear is more like a over drive than most and better to leave in fourth in a race till around 110.This is all with stock speed-o so off some.
Roger on the overdrive. My LC will have you smiling while getting you to 40 mph in 1st; 70 in 2nd; 90 in 3rd; 105'ish in 4th; (all just under the rev limiter); then you slam into fifth and realize you're already done. [space] :lmao:
lovineveryminuteofit

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

I am building up a Sportster for my nephew...it goes pretty good if you flog it hard enough, but I don't think it would beat my Intruder at full gallop. It's fun for what it does though.

OldCoot
Studying MC Handbook

Post by OldCoot »

jonnycando wrote:I am building up a Sportster for my nephew...it goes pretty good if you flog it hard enough, but I don't think it would beat my Intruder at full gallop. It's fun for what it does though.
I've had three sportsters over the years, and took the last one on a long trip to make a memory, so I they'll always be special to me. Funny thing tho, after all those years of riding them, I never felt as good riding my sportsters as I do my S50. It handles so much better. Of course, the best thing about a sportster is how they look... they have always been "cool" to look at.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Yes the meanest looking Harley ever made IMO was the 83/84 KR 1000 ,two carbs stuck out the right side with foam type filters. Nice real dark grey color with pin stripe. Wally had one and was nice enough to send me two pics of it in his house back then. They sure look good enough to be a center piece.Think was fastest factory Harley ever at that time.Mags got it in to 12 s.May still be fastest factory air cooled Harley ever?
Us old guys can remember when a XLCH with the mag was the blue collar bad boy. Later for some reason lots of Harley owners looked down on them from the old man dressers as starter bikes. Rode one to Montana and back and loved it.Had two both new.A 95 and a 97 .Like the 95 lots better as it was a plain jane with the low bar.Plus last year with the two gallon tank.Thats all you could get in it even if it called for more.Makes the motor look so big.96 they added a gallon.