Heading to Atlanta in Sep

Places you've been to. Things you've seen.
Share your riding and gathering Vids here.
MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Heading to Atlanta in Sep

Post by MadCow »

2nd week of Sep, after I come back from a business trip to Salt Lake City, I have another trip to Atlanta for 4 days...(also business)...

Considering taking the bike on the Atlanta trip...but it's downtown..but I need another good bike trip for this year...I'm about to get REALLY busy and won't be able to take much time off to ride, will only have the weekends and even that is sketchy as we move into hunting seasons.

Anyone familiar with traffic in Atlanta? Leave it home and fly and grab a rental car?

Was worried about cross contamination in the Chit Chat forum, considering this is about a bike trip...wouldn't want to break any rules...so I posted it here.
-DBTO

MadCow
Site Admin

Re: Heading to Atlanta in Sep

Post by MadCow »

98VS1400 wrote:Atlanta traffic sucks BAD. And the crime rate there is almost as bad. We went to a Falcons game once and my pickup was burglarized in the SECURITY PATROLLED HOTEL PARKING LOT!

Having said that, let me know the dates and I'll make the ride up there to catch a meal with ya! It's only a short 8 hour ride and I won't think twice about making it to see you.
That settles it, I'm flying.

Currently the plan is to get there on the 11th, and then leave Friday the 16th to be home with the family for the weekend. I may go down on the 10th, as I don't like flying on Sept 11th.
-DBTO

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

98VS1400 wrote:Perfect! Weather permitting, I will ride up Monday, have a quick bite, crash in your hotel room and ride back Tuesday!

Works for me :)

As soon as I finalize hotel arrangements I'll let you know!
-DBTO

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Why not ride down then book a room near the MARTA line north of the city and ride the train into the city for your work. Yes the traffic in and going into Atlanta is a beast but if you stay in sandy springs or the general area you would not have any issues. On the plus side when you leave or on the way there you can ride the north GA mountains or old HWY 41.

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

sgtcall wrote:Why not ride down then book a room near the MARTA line north of the city and ride the train into the city for your work. Yes the traffic in and going into Atlanta is a beast but if you stay in sandy springs or the general area you would not have any issues. On the plus side when you leave or on the way there you can ride the north GA mountains or old HWY 41.
Well, there is that...I'll actually be on the North side, Perimeter City West most days, with excursions into the city proper.
-DBTO

Grandpa C
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 95 VS 800

Post by Grandpa C »

Atlanta traffic is horrible, it is actually worse then Orlando.
They all seem to think they are nascar drivers, a lot of bumper riding high speed and quick lane changes.

My nerves get frazzled every time I have to go near there on four wheels, will never think of it on two.
Remember a Woman loves a Man that can cook. :evil:

ride on1946
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re:Atlanta

Post by ride on1946 »

I hope for your sake,you will not atempt to ride around the 285 bipass.I bought a bike in Atlanta not but about 100 miles from where I live got a good deal on the bike but had to ride it home,after rideing in bumper to bumper traffic and rain with Gods grace I made it out of thier.I would not ride 285 bi pass again if the bike was free.That road is nothing but a death trap for a biker.If you want to have fun dont go their on a bike.It is no fun dieing and even if you do make it through the traffic.You cant stop and leave your bike.It want be thier long.

n-trude
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: Honda GW Trike

Post by n-trude »

I rode thru Atlanta to see Printer Mike, I almost got killed. Too Fast, 10 PM Sat. night.
Kids two times tried to get closer to take a picture of my 55 Nomad trailer, scary....
I got hung up in a Y and stopped to make the lane change. Never going to do that again.
Those drivers thought we were racing, 80 avg. speed.

Ever get to KC call me for some BBQ. :clap:

PCC
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: GW TRIKE + 1300 Yamaha V Star

Post by PCC »

Traffic is almost as bad as LA. CA.
Only place I ever was told by hwy patrol to drive faster. :lolfall:
My lil Mitsubishi was already doing 80 and any faster it felt like it was going to take off or vibrate apart. :uhh:
Read My Daily Musings On Numerous Topics
Especially Riding Motorcycles & Camera Captures
Of My Meanderings...

https://pcove99.wixsite.com/website

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I realize I am late posting this, but I have to agree the traffic is the worst. I drove thru Atlanta on a trip to Fl a few years back and was stuck in traffic for 2 hours because of a wreck. Our lane was backed up for miles both directions and moving about 5 MPH. We got out of the traffic jam after 2 hours, but the other side going into Atlanta was backed up for 10 more miles and had 2 more wrecks on it. So if I ever head that way again I will find a way around Atlanta.
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree: