Good people overcome

Keep it civil
jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Good people overcome

Post by jeffcoslacker »

We hired a young black guy a while back, and he's really a great worker and a quick learner...I realized early on he rides the bus, always showed up on foot, carries a big pack in which I've come to find out he has his "survival gear"...change of clothes, coat, umbrella, food, books, etc.

Why? Well one day when we got off work at the same time I saw him standing at the bus stop as I left the area, so I dove into the parking lot there and asked which way he heads home, thinking I might be able to give him a ride in that direction. We settled on the transit hub a couple of miles from where I live, he said that cuts a big chunk of time off his trip, and it was only like less than 10 minutes out of my way.

When he told me where he lived, at first I didn't really think of it in terms of a bus ride...I mean if I were to get in my car and drive there from home, it would take maybe 15, 20 minutes tops.

After I got home I started thinking about it, since I haven't ridden the bus since I was a teen. The online tools for planning your ride are great now, just click on the map and tell it where you wanna start, end, what time you want to leave or arrive, and it barfs up an itinerary with stops and routes and times.

But here's the kicker...it takes him 2 hours and 25 minutes(!) on a bus to cover what would be a 20-25 minute drive in a car. So he's in for almost 5 hours of bus time to come work a 5 hour a day part time job, not to mention the "buffer time" of showing up half an hour early due to bus scheduling, and waiting for the bus on the way home...it's actually more time out of his day than that. :blink: A big part of the problem there is there's no direct way on the bus to head in the direction he needs to go from home...the bus he has to take makes a big ridiculous loop all over the north side of the county before coming back south and even beginning to head the right direction.

Obviously things can change throughout the day, so he's prepared, in terms of weather, hunger, and boredom. That's why he lugs all that gear around. Again, a car is a big luxury we take for granted.

And the bus costs $6/day to ride, more than gas would cost.

So I told him when we get out of work at the same time, I'll just run him home. Jeez, my car gets 35-40 mpg, and it only takes a few extra minutes out of my evening. Small price to pay to give someone over two hours of their life back, no? He offered to give me the $3 he'd give the bus on the way home, but I'm not worried about that. Glad he offered though.

I like this guy. He's a solid individual. Just the bus ride thing impressed me.

We talk about stuff. We got to talking about women and he had an interesting take, for a guy in his position. He told me all the women he knows are stuck on nothing but clubbing and sex and 'hood drama. That's all they know, it's all they aspire to. He says he wants more than that for himself, and wishes he could find a woman with similar aspirations. He knows the world is bigger than north STL County and he wants to get his piece of it.

If he keeps up the way he is, I have no doubt he will.

He said he's teased the idea of going to truck driving school, but admits he's intimidated by the manual shifting. He's fascinated with my car (5 spd stick) because he's never driven one, nor known anyone who had one. I told him I'm gonna teach him how to drive it. He seems pretty amped about that.

He's also batting around military service. I think he'd probably do well there. Like I said, quick learner and got an uncommon level of self-discipline.

It's good to see that all hope is not lost. And I specifically don't mean as far as black people. I mean young people. I never found my direction as a young guy, and as such I've had trouble putting any kind of discipline in my son. He's turned out WAY better than I did, but I still wish he had half the determination and discipline this guy does.

5 hours on a bus every day. I'd lose my goddamn mind. :eek:

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Re: Good people overcome

Post by HARRIS »

YOUR HEART AND MIND ARE IN THE RIGHT PLACE !
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Some people are survivors and just do what needs to be done. I currently work with a fellow whose roots go back to Mexico. I was complaining out loud about having to work late one night because I had to be back to work at 7AM the next morning. Chico made the comment that he had to get up at 4AM to get ready to go to his day job. He actually works two jobs.

Chico is probably in his mid-forties. In the discussion about work and jobs we'd had over the years he told me he once worked seven days a week for seven straight years and currently he works a full time day job, then he comes into work where I work 4-5 evenings per week and works until 10PM or after (knowing he has to roll out of bed at 4AM), and still has enough left in him to go home and boink mama a couple nights a week. Ha ha.

People like Chico are the reason I have so little respect for those who want to sit on their front porches drinking Bull and smoking weed while the government subsidizes them with low cost or free housing, mobile phones and internet service, free transportation, EBT cards and welfare payments. What an obscene thought it is that our government would take some of this man's hard earned money and use it to support abled-bodied but lazy, low-life parasites.
lovineveryminuteofit

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Jeffcoslacker,...I've always regarded you as one whose Threads are well worth the Reading all the way through and whose stories are telling. [emoji2]

That you took the time to stop-and-think of this fella and what is his situation in life is speaks volumes :clap: ,...and that you took Personal Initiative and Action that made his life better catapults you to a position of GREAT Respect in My Book. :bow:

Not that it comes as 'big surprise' though ;IDunno: You have displayed such Fine Character Qualities before. [emoji106]

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

jeffcoslacker wrote: ... He's also batting around military service. I think he'd probably do well there. Like I said, quick learner and got an uncommon level of self-discipline.
He kinda sounds like the perfect candidate for that. I knew you were gonna help him learn stick before ya said it. [emoji106]

BoDog
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: None anymore

Post by BoDog »

Cuban wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote: ... He's also batting around military service. I think he'd probably do well there. Like I said, quick learner and got an uncommon level of self-discipline.
He kinda sounds like the perfect candidate for that. I knew you were gonna help him learn stick before ya said it. [emoji106]

Yup. [emoji2]

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club
My Bike: SUZUKI

Post by franktiregod »

Good for him. Glad to hear he has a good work ethic.

He will do well. Hard work, self reliance, and a decent attitude will get him far. Best wishes to him.

Yooper
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: VN2000 Kaw

Post by Yooper »

Best wishes to him. Any man that goes the extra mile deserves respect. He has mine.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

This young man sounds like a rare commodity.
-DBTO

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

3 things that a person needs to do to get ahead.

https://lifesmartblog.com/2015/01/28/3- ... t-poverty/

"William Galston, Senior Fellow at the Brookings Institution, columnist, and former Clinton Advisor, did a hefty amount of research on the subject of poverty. Thanks to him, we are better aware of some of the chief causes of poverty. His important conclusions, based on his research findings, are surprisingly simple. Dr. Galston asserts you need to do three main things if you live in the United States to avoid poverty:

Finish high school, marry before having a child, and marry after the age of 20!

Here’s the real kicker: only 8 percent of families who do all three are poor; however, 79 percent of those who fail to do all three are poor.

These statistics are compelling and make perfect sense. Students who fail to finish high school will not have access to many well-paying careers and will not be perceived as well by employers. Those who have children before marriage (many teens and young adults) will find it that much more difficult to enter college or complete their degree due to the immense responsibility and financial demands of raising a child. Finally, those who marry before age 20 tend to have higher divorce rates and greater career and life challenges. The common thread of all three poverty causes is reduced access to attractive careers due to lack of education or life circumstances."

Sounds like your young man is working hard to do what is right.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Herb wrote:3 things that a person needs to do to get ahead.

https://lifesmartblog.com/2015/01/28/3- ... t-poverty/

"William Galston, Senior Fellow at the Brookings Institution, columnist, and former Clinton Advisor, did a hefty amount of research on the subject of poverty. Thanks to him, we are better aware of some of the chief causes of poverty. His important conclusions, based on his research findings, are surprisingly simple. Dr. Galston asserts you need to do three main things if you live in the United States to avoid poverty:

Finish high school, marry before having a child, and marry after the age of 20!

Here’s the real kicker: only 8 percent of families who do all three are poor; however, 79 percent of those who fail to do all three are poor.

These statistics are compelling and make perfect sense. Students who fail to finish high school will not have access to many well-paying careers and will not be perceived as well by employers. Those who have children before marriage (many teens and young adults) will find it that much more difficult to enter college or complete their degree due to the immense responsibility and financial demands of raising a child. Finally, those who marry before age 20 tend to have higher divorce rates and greater career and life challenges. The common thread of all three poverty causes is reduced access to attractive careers due to lack of education or life circumstances."

Sounds like your young man is working hard to do what is right.
And any teenage girl who finds herself with child and out of wedlock pretty much guarantees herself a long life of poverty. [space] :bang:
lovineveryminuteofit

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

ANY WOMAN WHO ALLOWS HERSELF TO GET PREGNANT OWNS 100 % . AND KNOWING SHE'S NOT MARRIED TO THE DONOR, WELL, IT'S HER CHOICE FOR A DIFFICULT LIFE
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Sounds like a respectable young man.

I am not sure the report's on dropouts are all that accurate. I suppose we could find the numbers to back up the claims, but it's a claim seeking out the numbers.
I don't say that to be disagreeable, rather a point to ponder. My best childhood friend is a licensed butcher, truck driver, licensed machinist, and welder. He owns a home, zero debt, retired at 55 years of age. He dropped out of school at the 9th grade.
The point is different people will do or not based on personal initiative. The young man that this post was started about will be successful because like my friend, he'll put in the effort. Statistics are for making excuses as demonstrated by the richest men in the word, most of which never completed educational endeavor's.
Life is about choice's, some good, some bad. You just hope the bad don't have too great of an impact as to prevent the good.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

oops, off topic. :bonk:

I know quite a few people with college degrees that wish they had went into the workforce instead of spending all that time and now money getting a worthless degree. Of course it depends on the degree you get and the job market when you get out of school. I also know plenty of people that worked smarter and not harder to get where they are now.

I was always more interested in the here and now instead of planning for the future because I never expected to live this long. :bonk: I guess I should have been a little more aware and prepared for future just in case things turned out different and I did live to old age. :bang: [space] :soda:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree: