Castles in Okla

Keep it civil
BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Castles in Okla

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I'm 67 yrs old and have lived most of my life in Okla and never knew we had castles except for the commercial one in Muskogee. This will give me some places to visit this summer if I can't make it out of the state because of the lack of money or other reasons.

Oklahoma Castles

The Collings Castle it's not what it used to be. :soda:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Re: Castles in Okla

Post by jeffcoslacker »

There was one a quick bicycle ride from where I grew up in Denver. Richthofen Castle was built in the late 1880s by one of the Richthofen family (yes, those Richthofens) who settled in that area.

A lotta people around there will tell you it was originally built in Germany or Austria and dismantled and rebuilt in Denver. It wasn't, that's local folklore. I think some of the foundation blocks were cut or reclaimed in Germany and transported there, then built upon from local stone, IIRC. That's probably where the myth got started...

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:I'm 67 yrs old and have lived most of my life in Okla and never knew we had castles except for the commercial one in Muskogee. This will give me some places to visit this summer if I can't make it out of the state because of the lack of money or other reasons.

Oklahoma Castles
I'll have to admit I had a bit of a chuckle when I clicked on the link and saw "Castles in Oklahoma: A Glimpse Into Medieval Times"

Not exactly Medieval if they are only built a couple of hundred years ago, but I know what they meant.

They look like pretty nice places to visit - have fun there when you do go there [emoji106]

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

jeffcoslacker wrote: (yes, those Richthofens)
:shock:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

That looks like it could have been made by the WPA workers. :soda:

:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree: