Phil's rack

Keep it civil
Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Phil's rack

Post by Tbeck »

Just ordered up a Phil's rack style A for the Connie. I always run a top box but the cheap Givi rack flexes too much for my liking and isn't rated for much weight. Figured I'd rather drop $170 for a solid rack mount than drop a $300 top case on the road.

Anyone else adding any accessories for summer?

KAJUN
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: HARLEY THE BIG MOTHER

Re: Phil's rack

Post by KAJUN »

No matter what kind of durable rack you install on your bike...it's the quality of the bungee cords that make the world of difference between loose or tight luggage......not unless you're thinking of hard docking your baggage ...What's it going to be T

I have no plans for any add on's for the Pearl...she loaded for bear right now, I can safely load up a good 10 to 12 days on the road with the current configuration of saddle bags and trunk... Recently sold my travel bag which fit neatly in the passenger space and held a good deal of clothes and was easy off and on.....if I plan right the available storage area is spacious enough
.......I'm 74 years young and nowadays 500+ mile days are just about out of the question.....last trip we averaged 375+ miles a day and it was a push for me even then....it was hot also...we usually plan our long distance trips during the summer time since one of the guys going is still working ( school board )

Some are planning a Big Bend trip later this year....have been there but the scenery is awesome...may return with them in July
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Speaking of crappy bungee cords..
Try ROK Straps, they truly rock! :clap:

http://www.rokstraps.com/

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

KAJUN, I run a Givi 47L Hard top box on the Connie which locks to the two pins and hasp on the luggage rack. The current rack is made by Givi for mounting a box but it's plastic. The Phil's rack replaces the Givi with all aluminum mounts and base. It's just a more secure mount which is rated for heavier loads.
Basically the difference between your e-glide top box and mine is that I can unlock mine and take the entire thing into a hotel room if I want. I use a trunk bag so I can just leave the box on the bike.
I'm with you on distance riding. I average about 400 these days. I am fine with that because I have time to see more. I can still do the longer 750+ day's if I need to but I plan for 400 give or take.
I'm going to head to the Sierra Nevada, few road's I'd like to ride, and probably a few in Colorado on my way back. I have a nephew in Denver I haven't seen for a while, I will drop in on.

Navigator, I have a bunch of rok straps [emoji106] [emoji106]

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Did some 600+ mile days last year with no troubles but last long day was a 900+ at age 69 on way back from Colorado. I still ride most every day and use a bike like most use a car. The wife has not been out of state with me in four years and at 70 a half day of in state is about all she wants. The wet weather bothers me more than the cold now in pains etc.. My old bunch may take a out of state camp trip this week end for a one night to line out our camp gear and bikes.W e are most late 60s to mid 70s but ride more than most as young as our kids around these parts.At over 60 its more the health cards you have been delt than any thing IMO. :putput:

KAJUN
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: HARLEY THE BIG MOTHER

Post by KAJUN »

In the early days of my riding we would decide...spur of the moment pack up some duds and hit the road with no mileage in mind....most stops were regulated by availability of fuel :bonk: and those peanut tanks on the Sporty's limited how far we could go on a full tank plus the 1 gallon metal gas cans we carried ... and we used every invention known to man to tie down what little we would bring with us.. No thought was given to what we would eventually need....LOL....
.Now it's completely different...of course we weren't n any medications either :lmao: Now I plan a week in advance...make a list of everything I might need....go through the list removing items that are basically non essential to lighten the load as much as possible...
and an old long distance rider informed me one day about increasing your available space along the way////He told me he discarded his socks and underwear daily....cheapest part of your outfit to replace.....and it works too...that way you don't need that big ole plastic bag on your trip to store your odoriferous items into... [emoji106]

Hard docking eh T?? Good move...bike manufacturers for years have been looking for ways to lighten their bikes up and plastic has neatly fit the bill, but over time especially if it's exposed the to the elements will deteriorate and discolor over time ...
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.