Bar spacers

Keep it civil
Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Bar spacers

Post by Tbeck »

I reinstalled the bar spacers on the Connie today. They are thin wedges that get installed under the handlebar base. They're about 1/16" thick on the inside edge and 1/8" on the outer edge. When installed they raise the bar ends about 1".
Because of the slightly forward body lean, and the somewhat downward slope of the Connie's bars, the pressure is felt on the outer palm pad area's of the hands. Not a big deal but without you feeling it, the pressure is applied to the shoulder's as well. The wedges eliminate this.
I'll pull them again once I have gotten in some saddle time and the shoulder's are in riding condition. The bike handles/responds better without them, but my aging shoulders need the warm up time. Gotta hate bone spurs and bursitis.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Bar spacers

Post by navigator »

I was getting a pain in the upper shoulder / neck on long rides with my S50.
Seemed like my arms were outstretched.
I installed 1-1/8 spacers on top of the risers, just under the bars, now my arms have a slight bend.
No more pain.
Ergo's is everything.

Travlin
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: Ummmmmmmm a 1400

Post by Travlin »

I am a firm believer in ergo, not to mention sufferer from lack of it.

With that being said, I also know that my life of trying to break myself in half (have done a good job of it a couple of times) has lead to body rot setting in [emoji14]

This stuff is magic against body rot guys, its grease for the joints. Everyone with joint aches that I have turn them onto this stuff has come back saying it really helps out.

Here's to all us old Fu..ers :cheers:

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Post by DevilsFan »

I've got 3 sets of risers just sitting on my tool box. I bought a pair for the CTX, then ones for the V-strom, then ones for the NC700. The issue I had with them is that, although they change the ergonomics no matter how I set them I felt like I lost some control on the bikes.
I tend to be a sloucher so I get the upper-shoulder blade pain. But I think I've finally found a solution - I bought a back brace WITH a lumbar support. I rode home the other day and noticed a major difference! And no shoulder blade pain!!!

The only issue I can see with this is it will be warm in the summertime. I'll use it sparingly as it feels weird when I take it off, as if my whole upper body just drops. But I also find myself standing up straighter after I take it off. :smile:
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

DF, yep I don't like riser's, and you're right in the disconnect. They change the leverage and angles associated with the steering so like yourself I don't run them.
The spacers are in some respects a type of riser, and they do affect the amount of palm pressure applied for turn in, but it's minimal. Now the normal two inch riser's make the steering feel floppy so I won't run those at all.

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

[space]
Spacers... These make a huge difference, and solve a lot of issues for me. [emoji106]

KAJUN
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: HARLEY THE BIG MOTHER

Post by KAJUN »

Is that what you call a triple decker? [emoji106]
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

He got them in his go go disco days and were great for other things. Hear tell he taught John T. To dance for the Disco Fever movie. No doubt he is a over the top on every thing guy to hide the fact of his crazy older brother Jason or Bat Man!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

If you find your belly has grown over time, and you find it hard to belly up to the bar....bar spacers are the ticket.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

We call it the Dunlap Disease.

When your belly dun lapped over your pecker.