Fast Take-off's

Keep it civil
DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Fast Take-off's

Post by DevilsFan »

Gotta ask all you veteran riders...why the fast take-off's?

I've ridden with a few of you and know your skills are way more than mine. With that said, I went riding with a few guys on Sunday. Met them on the Kawasaki forum. They're all retired. The leader has a Versys like mine (650cc) and I was doing everything I could to keep up with him!

I know a lot of bikes are powerful and can fly off the line. Me personally, have never been one to gun it from EVERY stop. I understand the need for speed but I'm just asking why one feels they have to do this and get so far ahead of the pack. Is it just an adrenaline rush?

I'm not bashing anyone, just wondering.
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

OldCoot
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: SOLD Suzuki S50

Re: Fast Take-off's

Post by OldCoot »

I don't even try to keep up with other riders. I used to, but even after riding for over 55 years I've never gotten very good. So racing young or old guys who can easily beat me has never been fun. If I ride with others, I just go at my own pace. If they leave me in their dust, I just stop and get an ice cream cone.

:putput:
SOLD: 2008 Black Suzuki Boulevard S50

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

Hey, I’m with you guys.

Ever see a bunny rabbit f*ck? Goes like hell real fast for two minutes then he’s done. Better to get in the saddle and take a nice long easy ride.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

IT'S THE THRILL OF AN EASY FAST ACCELERATION THAT'S LEGAL
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

DF, for group rides it is appropriate for the lead bikes to take off rather quickly so the following bikes aren't all bottled up. Two or three bikes it's not necessary, but more bike's and it becomes practical. I usually run sweep so that's a slower take off and maybe a good twist after getting underway.
If you ever go on a group ride where the road captain doddles from a stop, you'll see the difference.

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by DevilsFan »

Tbeck wrote:DF, for group rides it is appropriate for the lead bikes to take off rather quickly so the following bikes aren't all bottled up. Two or three bikes it's not necessary, but more bike's and it becomes practical. I usually run sweep so that's a slower take off and maybe a good twist after getting underway.
If you ever go on a group ride where the road captain doddles from a stop, you'll see the difference.

I'm talking 2-4 bikes.
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by lonerider »

Fast is a thrill ride. Once you get into the habit of WOT it's hard to quit. And it's hard on the machinery. But what the hey, you only live once!

:rock:

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

I take off faster,speed more,and go over 100mph more than any in my bunch.Only one ever to run on a drag strip all so.The ten years 77-87 sure did not burn me out on it.To me its still fun. Down side torn up more motors,drive lines,and other parts than all of them!Paid more tickets than all.None of them have broken a drive belt.I broke three on same bike and drive shaft down twice. Its real hard on about all but still fun to beat something you should have no chance at just because they can not ride! You play you pay :putput: .

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

I have never been a “racer”. Have many friends who have been competitive regularly at sanctioned drag meets, not me. I don’t even jump from the hole at a stop light! My need for speed derives from rolling on to top gear then living for thousands of miles and hours at 80 to 90 MPH. Different strokes and all.

In my years of club riding, road captain took on a whole meaning than it seems to today. Front left was President of the club. Road captain rode to the rear of the pack, needed to have a clean driver’s liscence in case LE fell in behind the pack. Road Captain needed to have a fast bike, he had clear view of entire pack and was responsible for jamming to the front of the pack to inform the leaders of any problems such as a bike with mechanical problems and in the 60’s and 70’s problems happened. In cattle herding terms, the road captain rode drag and was respected for his authority during runs. The pack remained very tight and well organized and road captain kept it so.

Competition and attitude within the pack were discouraged and violators were fined heavily at the next scheduled club meeting. When not in an organized pack, individual riders could be biggest dick and fastest scoot all they want, but in the pack cohesion was demanded.

The leaders were leaders of the pack for a reason... they were chosen. As good leaders they were very mindful and respectful to the entire pack behind and that meant accelerating and riding at acceptable responsible speeds. I never once rode in a pack where the accordion effect occurred.

We were Brothers.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

[emoji2] I normally pull away pretty quick. It's just easier than trying to ease it away slowly from a stand still. The inertia of rest and alla that... :rag:

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Cuban wrote:[emoji2] I normally pull away pretty quick. It's just easier than trying to ease it away slowly from a stand still. The inertia of rest and alla that... :rag:
I think anyone who rides pulls away “pretty quick”, it’s the nature of the animal, we learn from go as youngsters to let go of that clutch handle and twist some wick so as not to stall or fall down on a light two wheel conveyance! But you have to admit that some people seem to have a need to pull away quicker than their fellow riders.
Signifying nothing”

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 03 FXDWG

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

RoadKing wrote:I have never been a “racer”. Have many friends who have been competitive regularly at sanctioned drag meets, not me. I don’t even jump from the hole at a stop light! My need for speed derives from rolling on to top gear then living for thousands of miles and hours at 80 to 90 MPH. Different strokes and all.

In my years of club riding, road captain took on a whole meaning than it seems to today. Front left was President of the club. Road captain rode to the rear of the pack, needed to have a clean driver’s liscence in case LE fell in behind the pack. Road Captain needed to have a fast bike, he had clear view of entire pack and was responsible for jamming to the front of the pack to inform the leaders of any problems such as a bike with mechanical problems and in the 60’s and 70’s problems happened. In cattle herding terms, the road captain rode drag and was respected for his authority during runs. The pack remained very tight and well organized and road captain kept it so.

Competition and attitude within the pack were discouraged and violators were fined heavily at the next scheduled club meeting. When not in an organized pack, individual riders could be biggest dick and fastest scoot all they want, but in the pack cohesion was demanded.

The leaders were leaders of the pack for a reason... they were chosen. As good leaders they were very mindful and respectful to the entire pack behind and that meant accelerating and riding at acceptable responsible speeds. I never once rode in a pack where the accordion effect occurred.

We were Brothers.
I've ridden with The Ruff Ryders and The Christian Motorcycle Association, there's a different kind of vibe between the two groups. To say the least :lol:
:evil: [emoji56]

I have a lot of opinions, some of them professional, some of them educated, most of them I just pulled out of my @$$

Some of my best stupidity is largely self-inflicted. :roll:

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Prodigal_Sun wrote:
RoadKing wrote:I have never been a “racer”. Have many friends who have been competitive regularly at sanctioned drag meets, not me. I don’t even jump from the hole at a stop light! My need for speed derives from rolling on to top gear then living for thousands of miles and hours at 80 to 90 MPH. Different strokes and all.

We were Brothers.
I've ridden with The Ruff Ryders and The Christian Motorcycle Association, there's a different kind of vibe between the two groups. To say the least :lol:
Not sure of the differences you observed nor the clubs you mention. My only experiences riding in organized packs were 1%ers, for the most part very disciplined in an almost military manner. Only organized group of riders that I have seen maybe more disciplined and skilled were the Oakland PD riders. Last time I saw them perform was at a Sonny book signing at Bob Dron HD dealership in Oakland.
Signifying nothing”

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

DevilsFan wrote:Gotta ask all you veteran riders...why the fast take-off's?

I've ridden with a few of you and know your skills are way more than mine. With that said, I went riding with a few guys on Sunday. Met them on the Kawasaki forum. They're all retired. The leader has a Versys like mine (650cc) and I was doing everything I could to keep up with him!

I know a lot of bikes are powerful and can fly off the line. Me personally, have never been one to gun it from EVERY stop. I understand the need for speed but I'm just asking why one feels they have to do this and get so far ahead of the pack. Is it just an adrenaline rush?

I'm not bashing anyone, just wondering.
You wouldn't necessarily enjoy riding with Keith and I...we hammer down.
-DBTO

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 03 FXDWG

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

RoadKing wrote:
Prodigal_Sun wrote:

We were Brothers.
Not sure of the differences you observed nor the clubs you mention. My only experiences riding in organized packs were 1%ers, for the most part very disciplined in an almost military manner. Only organized group of riders that I have seen maybe more disciplined and skilled were the Oakland PD riders. Last time I saw them perform was at a Sonny book signing at Bob Dron HD dealership in Oakland.
Don't know any 1%ers. I've seen a hand full of that style club patch on riders around lately. Don't really know about Oakland PD but I've seen some impressive riding skills on display of a few PDs.

Ruff Ryder's Anthem https://g.co/kgs/vMc42L

Ruff Ryders are mostly Sportbike riders predominantly African American, they like to pull dangerous stunts but they're generally respectful of outsiders as long as you don't mean them any harm. There are a number of LEOs in their midst, they all know who they are and are trusted members.

CMA is a, well, pretty self explanatory. Christian organization of motorcycle enthusiasts who gather for fellowship. Very family friendly events. Good group of people.
:evil: [emoji56]

I have a lot of opinions, some of them professional, some of them educated, most of them I just pulled out of my @$$

Some of my best stupidity is largely self-inflicted. :roll:

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club
My Bike: SUZUKI

Post by franktiregod »

Why do you hate America, Dan? [emoji2]

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

franktiregod wrote:Why do you hate America, Dan? [emoji2]

FRANK!!!!

:lmao: :lmao:
-DBTO

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club
My Bike: SUZUKI

Post by franktiregod »

MadCow wrote:

FRANK!!!!

:lmao: :lmao:

What? [emoji2]

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Some of the fastest riders I have rode with were cops. Not in town but open highway and light traffic back roads. :putput:

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by DevilsFan »

What??? I can't hear ya over my loud-ass, ear-splitting music...over my loud-ass, ear-splitting rumble from my pipes! :evil: