Archaeologists Make ‘Extraordinary’ Find

Keep it civil
Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Archaeologists Make ‘Extraordinary’ Find

Post by Designer »

This is one quite amazing "find". :smile: Who knows what historically important information will be gleaned from it. [emoji106]

Archaeologists Make ‘Extraordinary’ Find Straight Out of the Book of Revelation

By Becky Loggia March 16, 2018

In a once-in-a-lifetime find of biblical proportions, archaeologists have discovered a burial chamber in the ancient Canaanite city-state of Megiddo.

According to National Geographic, archaeologists stumbled upon the 3,600-year-old burial chamber, which has the possibility of offering clues into the royal dynasty that ruled the southern regions of Haifa (northern Isreal) before Egypt’s conquering of the land in the 15th century B.C.

The site itself was witness to numerous battles that would decide the fate of history, earning the name “Armageddon” as it is mentioned in the Bible’s book of Revelation (Rev. 16:16), deriving from Har-Megiddo, or “Hill of Megiddo.”

The “magnificent and untouched” find that left its discoverers stunned was part of a much larger site of Megiddo, which for five millennia (3000 B.C. to 1918) dominated a strategic pass on both popular international military and trade routes. In what was the earliest recorded battle of the Ancient Near East, Egyptian forces at the service of Pharaoh Thutmose III had besieged Megiddo, and after several months conquered the fortified city and incorporated Canaan as a province of the pharaoh’s empire.

The importance of the historical find was not lost on Israel Finkelstein, Mario Martin and Matthew Adams, who have all been conducting excavations in Megiddo for over two decades and had first discovered a subterranean corridor close to the Bronze Age palaces within the area back in 2016. The corridor leads to a burial chamber, which itself contained the remains of three figures — a man, a woman, and a child — who were adorned with numerous elaborately detailed gold and silver jewelry. The man had reportedly been crowned with a gold diadem, which suggested to the archaeologists a high level of skill and artistry that went into supplying the wealthy with such jewels.

“We are speaking of an elite family burial because of the monumentality of the structure, the rich finds and because of the fact that the burial is located in close proximity to the royal palace,” Finkelstein explained.

The archaeologists added that other human remains had also been interred in the tomb sometime earlier, which would have followed the practice of the region’s ancient funerary rites. A current DNA study of the three corpses is searching for answers as to whether the common inhabitants were of the same background as the ruling elite of the Canaanite city-state, as the results of such tests could change the perceptions scholars have long held to.

Researchers have been particularly perplexed by the origin of Megiddo’s ruling elite since their diplomatic correspondence with Egypt back in the 14th century B.C. after Thutmosis III conquered it. Studies have revealed that the king of Megiddo during that time did not actually have a traditionally Canaanite “Semitic” name, but rather one that was Hurrian: Birydia. Perceptions of the Canaan population were long believed to be that Hurrians were a roving mountain people, emerging somewhere between the fourth and the third millennium B.C. before they settled down and adopted cuneiform as their script.

These new excavations, however, may reveal a more advanced culture with a language distinct to them and a belief system that may have been a key player in shaping what would become the first cities of the Near East and effectively running the Canaanite city-states. Archaeologists also suggest it may change the perception of the people of Canaan itself.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Re: Archaeologists Make ‘Extraordinary’ Find

Post by MadCow »

Never ceases to amaze me the things yet to be discovered right here on Earth.
-DBTO

OldCoot
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: SOLD Suzuki S50

Post by OldCoot »

Interesting article.

In my former lifetime I worked with this group: https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/magazine/ The writers of the magazine surprised readers (and me) in every issue with so many facts ...most of which confirmed biblical history.
SOLD: 2008 Black Suzuki Boulevard S50

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

MadCow wrote:Never ceases to amaze me the things yet to be discovered right here on Earth.
So true. [space] Reading Archaeology Magazine often leaves me in such wonderment.

That can something like this has escaped Discovery and Plundering for some 3-1/2 millennia just boggles the mind. :blink:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

OldCoot wrote:Interesting article.

In my former lifetime I worked with this group: https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/magazine/ The writers of the magazine surprised readers (and me) in every issue with so many facts ...most of which confirmed biblical history.
Did Fred work at that place all so?

OldCoot
Studying MC Handbook

Post by OldCoot »

old time rider wrote:

Did Fred work at that place all so?
I don’t remember anyone named Fred. I wasn’t on staff, just an independent contractor. I reported to the business manager (Sue Laden) who worked for the publisher (Hershel Shanks).

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

Yep. My perception of the people of Caanon itself has now totally changed. Who knew? [emoji56] Further proof that just when you think you know people turns out you don’t know them at all.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

KAJUN
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: HARLEY THE BIG MOTHER

Post by KAJUN »

OldCoot wrote:
old time rider wrote:

I don’t remember anyone named Fred. I wasn’t on staff, just an independent contractor. I reported to the business manager (Sue Laden) who worked for the publisher (Hershel Shanks).

That flew right over someone's head.......... :wink:
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.

OldCoot
Studying MC Handbook

Post by OldCoot »

I'm sorry I'm so thick... help me out here.

:confused:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

I am amazed that so many people are amazed by the twists archaeological discoveries in that region present. The Phoenician's, Babylonians, Hittites, Egyptians, and a half dozen other group's all conquered and/or controlled that region during that period.
With regards to biblical history, shared region=shared folklore of which many examples exist.
I'm not so sure about the dates reported? But to be honest I didn't look to see how the report matches with dynasties. 3000 bc just seems late for Thutmose III with him falling in the New kingdom era.
I believe that they'll find the remains will be Phoenician's. They were after all the inhabitants of Canaan prior to the Israelites invasion and conquest. Further they did adopt cuneiform usage before the invention of the alphabet and papyrus paper. And they interacted with most everyone including the Egyptians.
Still you have to love these discoveries

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

:funnylast: :funnylast: :funnylast: Brainiacs.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

RoadKing wrote: :funnylast: :funnylast: :funnylast: Brainiacs.

Pseudo Brainiacs :lol:

Folks here are amazed that this "find" has survived untouched for so many Millennia and that it was discovered at all.....not about the twists archaeological discoveries in that region present. :uhh:

It's just another Classroom Lectern Display of someone trying to show off what was gleaned from a hasty, last minute Internet Search. ;)

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

RK, not really, it's just my focus area for study. It's an era of endless discovery.
If you search "archaeology news" there are several great news site's that will keep you current on discovery/research. Lot's will make the mainstream news eventually, but it can be months later.

Designer, folk's here might well be amazed by what you suggested, but the intrigue as posted was more than the grave site remained in tact. I also don't believe it was intended as a platform for you to drag another post in the toilet again...now was it. :bonk:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Tbeck wrote:RK, not really, it's just my focus area for study. It's an era of endless discovery.
If you search "archaeology news" there are several great news site's that will keep you current on discovery/research. Lot's will make the mainstream news eventually, but it can be months later.

Designer, folk's here might well be amazed by what you suggested, but the intrigue as posted was more than the grave site remained in tact. I also don't believe it was intended as a platform for you to drag another post in the toilet again...now was it. :bonk:
Why are we digging up graves? If someone wants to do that with recent graves, they will go to jail. Let the dead RIP.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

My pretty little Pit Dog was doing some digging of her own late last summer and came up with an interesting artifact... the carcass of an ancient cap gun! I praised her profusely! [emoji106]
Signifying nothing”

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

We talk about digging folk's graves up in my Arch course. We move cemeteries all the time, but it could easily be seen as disrespectful.
Archaeology has come a long way in the past 100 years. So while we are still disturbing someone's final resting place, it's done under strict rules and with minimal disturbance.

KAJUN
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: HARLEY THE BIG MOTHER

Post by KAJUN »

OldCoot wrote:I'm sorry I'm so thick... help me out here.

heck Fred out on the religious board...that will answer any questions you have about ole Fred [emoji106]
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

OldCoot wrote:I'm sorry I'm so thick... help me out here.

It’s easy, OC... Fred needs Jesus. He knows it. The most vociferous are the ones crying out the most for help.
Signifying nothing”

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

They are gonna have trouble digging me up. I have left instructions to incinerate my ass and dump the ashes in the dumpsters of 10 different cities.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.