this is the most ironic photo I've seen in a long time.

Keep it civil
SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Re: this is the most ironic photo I've seen in a long time.

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

This isn't a case of students protesting. These are students being exploited by adults. Everything they're saying has been scripted. The school walk out was a sham. School officials approved of the walk out and made a decision to allow students to walk out because they approved of the need-for-gun-control message. School officials are responsible for student's safety at school. Students can't walk out of school on their own. There'd be law suits galore if school officials allowed such a thing to happen. Remember, these are 12 to 15 year old children for the most part. It's a sham, I tell you.
lovineveryminuteofit

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

SR, I am not sure where you got your information but let me clarify for you and others.
First you are correct in that the students are being exploited by the ant-gun crowd.
However you are dead WRONG about the schools and the purpose of the walk out. A student had to sign up their school for the walk out on a national site, WHICH was promoted as a 17 minute remembering of the victims, and promoting school security. These were not promoted by the schools or officials.
Additional many school personnel discussed with students how the walkouts could be seen as promoting anti-gun laws and that alternative arrangements were in place for students who did not favor the walkout.

So the schools and personnel did not promote the walkouts, but yes the kids who did participate were taken advantage of.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Tbeck wrote:SR, I am not sure where you got your information but let me clarify for you and others.
First you are correct in that the students are being exploited by the ant-gun crowd.
However you are dead WRONG about the schools and the purpose of the walk out. A student had to sign up their school for the walk out on a national site, WHICH was promoted as a 17 minute remembering of the victims, and promoting school security. These were not promoted by the schools or officials.
Additional many school personnel discussed with students how the walkouts could be seen as promoting anti-gun laws and that alternative arrangements were in place for students who did not favor the walkout.

So the schools and personnel did not promote the walkouts, but yes the kids who did participate were taken advantage of.
Anyone that refused to participate was punished, that sounds like the school promoting the walkout.

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2018/03/1 ... n-walkout/

Now some conservative districts did say that they would punish students that participated in the walkout because they were not authorizing them to do it.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Yooper
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: VN2000 Kaw

Post by Yooper »

Tbeck wrote:SR, I am not sure where you got your information but let me clarify for you and others.

Our schools did this: http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/con ... 36203.html

They walked around the school perimeter twice, returned to class and had 17 second quiet. That's it. All voluntary.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Herb, yep saw that in another post and addressed it, BUT for the sake of discussing and to demonstrate just how BLATANTLY stupid anyone is that buys that story, here goes.
NO student in ANY public school district, in ANY state, is allowed to be in ANY classroom, at ANY time unsupervised.
This student broke school policy by being in a classroom unsupervised.
That is what he was suspended for.

Now you could argue that he wanted to remain nuetral, and that's a valid argument. So here were his choices:
Stay home that day
Go to the office for the 17 minutes
Go to the study hall which loads of others did.
He chose instead to break the rules, but he was NOT suspended for not taking part in the walk. That's just stupid to claim.
Oh and if you'd like to argue this FACT, list all the other students who didn't participate that also got suspended?

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

In the 50’s we kids had Elvis, Rebel Without a Cause, Link Wray, High School Confidential, Gene Vincent, The Wild Ones, Chuck Berry. It was fun and free, cars and motorcycles, freaking hoolahoops and frisbees. And we were tough as nails.

There are no kids today, there are StuDents. Proper pronunciation... stuuuuDents. StuuuuPid stuuuDents who protest assault rifles and don’t even know what an assault rifle is. A bunch of lefty lemmings and chanting zombies. City dwellers. Don’t see any of that crap around here. Thank God.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

Dumb youngsters today don’t ride, they are fucked up.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

RoadKing wrote:In the 50’s we kids had Elvis, Rebel Without a Cause, Link Wray, High School Confidential, Gene Vincent, The Wild Ones, Chuck Berry. It was fun and free, cars and motorcycles, freaking hoolahoops and frisbees. And we were tough as nails.

There are no kids today, there are StuDents. Proper pronunciation... stuuuuDents. StuuuuPid stuuuDents who protest assault rifles and don’t even know what an assault rifle is. A bunch of lefty lemmings and chanting zombies. City dwellers. Don’t see any of that crap around here. Thank God.
It's called a generation gap RK - your parents and their friends were saying exactly the same things about you and your friends when you were a teenager.

Sandmanrrr
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: Victory XCT VS 1400

Post by Sandmanrrr »

Tbeck wrote:No it's not libtardism, it's part fear, partly a sense of futility, and a HUGE lack of ADULT interaction.
Guy's it isn't happening to us, it's happening to our kid's in our schools and the adult's can't pull their heads out long enough to find solutions.
We need REAL dialogue with real solutions, not partisan finger pointing.
These student protests should be a wake up call to the so called adults, unfortunately that won't be the case.
We don't need bans or confiscation, but we do need solutions. OUR children and grandchildren need us to fix this.

And yes it is irony
I fear, they are a truly, lost generation. And its this generations fault

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Sandmanrrr, in some respects kid's today are pushed much harder, mostly educational and social. However in many IMPORTANT aspects we have failed them and I suspect we'll pay for that at some point.
Kid's today definitely are not the same caliber of young adults we were raising before 1980, and you are correct in that we only have ourselves to blame.

BoDog
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: None anymore

Post by BoDog »

Tbeck wrote:Sandmanrrr, in some respects kid's today are pushed much harder, mostly educational and social. However in many IMPORTANT aspects we have failed them and I suspect we'll pay for that at some point.
Kid's today definitely are not the same caliber of young adults we were raising before 1980, and you are correct in that we only have ourselves to blame.

Pushed in education? Half the 21 year old kids that apply with me can’t spell. I do agree it’s our fault.

BoDog
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by BoDog »

BoDog wrote:
Tbeck wrote:Sandmanrrr, in some respects kid's today are pushed much harder, mostly educational and social. However in many IMPORTANT aspects we have failed them and I suspect we'll pay for that at some point.

Pushed in education? Half the 21 year old kids that apply with me can’t spell. I do agree it’s our fault.

BoDog
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by BoDog »

Lol. Not sure how that happened.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Chief, you are 100% correct, they can't.
Now the magic question is why?
Without starting an argument I will try to clarify.
Why does a 3rd grader need to be tested on algebra? The obvious answer to that is they don't and shouldn't be, but this is what is taking place.
We push kid's educationally to learn advanced content before they master the basics BECAUSE of the mandated testing. As a result of this there's little time to really focus on the important things. You and I did weekly flash cards for spelling, math, etc... We learned about history every year, and we read. Today they use calculators and spell check because the testing is where the priority is. I've seen a HUGE difference in just the past 10 or so years since the testing was mandated.
This is another case of "careful what you ask for." This is also why our founding fathers purposely didn't want the federal government involved with education.
Oh and my reference to 1980 was deliberate. That was the year that the "America at risk" report saw the federal government become a participant in education.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

While in Ca I acted as a monitor to the state testing to meet the NCLB standards. I worked 5th, 7th and 8th grade testing over a 4 year period. There was nothing on those tests that the kids shouldn't have known IF they had been taught in the same manner that I was in the late 50's and early 60's.

Not really sure what the problem is, but the scare hype about it is really not true.

Considering that the states wrote the tests, AND, decided what proficiency is, it isn't the feds that are the "supposed" problem, it is the state education system that is screwed up.

"States were required to bring all students to the “proficient level” on state tests by the 2013-14 school year, although each state got to decide, individually, just what “proficiency” should look like, and which tests to use."

IF there is a problem with the testing, talk to the state education system.

It is also wrong to be using calculators and computers BEFORE the kids have the basics down.

IF the 3rd graders are being tested in algebra it is the STATE, not the federal government's fault.

All that said, the department of ed should be abolished. they have an annual budget of $68 billion and only about $15 makes it into the main program, Title I. That is a pretty piss poor income to outgo for a non-profit organization. Huge waste of money.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

THE STATE OF EDUCATION HAS BEEN DEVELOPED TO BE AS IT IS, AS A GOVERNMENT MANDATE TO HAVE AN EMPTY EDUCATED POPULATION SO THAT IT COULD BE SO EASILY MANIPULATED. JUST WHAT WE HAVE NOW.

MORALS, THINKING LOGICALLY, KNOWLEDGE OF HISTORY AND GEOGRAPHY, ALL DEMEANED. NOTHING HAPPENED BY ACCIDENT ... A DUMB POPULATION IS SO EASY TO DIRECT.
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

First off Herb BS you did.... Nobody, and I do mean nobody who is not a CERTIFIED Test Administrator is allowed anywhere near a test room during testing.
Yes tests were designed by the states department of education, BUT in accordance with the FEDERAL MANDATORY content.
Now let me shoot your position dead square in the ass. The gentleman who came up with NCLB, wrote a scathing report to Congress which was published one year after NCLB was adopted. In it he outlined how it would HARM the education of children. Congress failed to act on this report, so Barry allowed state's to Opt Out, by administering their own test. In other words he and Congress passed the blame on to the states. However the states still had to adhere to the federal mandated items.
So that's two of the three claims you made wrong, so let's look at number three. Your claim that what is tested is the same content tested or rather learned by students in the 50-60's.
Yes students have taken say algebra and geometry, even in the 50-60's. However they took it in highschool, NOT in 3rd grade. Are you smarter than the average 5th grader in the USA? I would unequivocally say NO. You might spell a few words better, work out a math equation in your head quicker, but in a head to head test of all 4 core content area's the typical 5th grader is going to make you look stupid.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Why can't we take the airport screeners and put them at the schools since they are doing such a fine job? And T education in not the problem, but governmental control of the people is... an unarmed people is what the government really wants.
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Tbeck wrote:First off Herb BS you did.... Nobody, and I do mean nobody who is not a CERTIFIED Test Administrator is allowed anywhere near a test room during testing.
Yes tests were designed by the states department of education, BUT in accordance with the FEDERAL MANDATORY content.
Now let me shoot your position dead square in the ass. The gentleman who came up with NCLB, wrote a scathing report to Congress which was published one year after NCLB was adopted. In it he outlined how it would HARM the education of children. Congress failed to act on this report, so Barry allowed state's to Opt Out, by administering their own test. In other words he and Congress passed the blame on to the states. However the states still had to adhere to the federal mandated items.
So that's two of the three claims you made wrong, so let's look at number three. Your claim that what is tested is the same content tested or rather learned by students in the 50-60's.
Yes students have taken say algebra and geometry, even in the 50-60's. However they took it in highschool, NOT in 3rd grade. Are you smarter than the average 5th grader in the USA? I would unequivocally say NO. You might spell a few words better, work out a math equation in your head quicker, but in a head to head test of all 4 core content area's the typical 5th grader is going to make you look stupid.
You are a fucking LIAR.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

Tbeck wrote:MC, you are absolutely correct. However where are the rationale adults. I love listening to Dana, but why isn't there a paid if necessary, round table discussion with political entities, public safety personnel, and the NRA's representative, all addressing and explaining the FACTS?
Instead we get the usual rhetorical finger pointing. The right blaming the left, and left blaming the right. Most of the conversation being pure bullshit.
The aforementioned is what our kids see, and they LEARN from what they see. If NO rational voice is loud and clear it leaves CHILDREN to arrive at their OWN conclusions. We know that kid's can hear and see the same thing as an adult and arrive at a completely different conclusion if they are not assisted in analyzing it thoroughly. This is what we are doing, letting children form ideas without proper guidance.
The shooting in FL has shaken the kids more than any school shooting since I've been teaching. The kids are looking for answer's and adult guidance. They aren't getting it.
I blame the parents for not being parents. I blame society partly for that reason.
Society has become work, work, work and more work. No longer can Mom raise the children, she has to work to help make ends meet. Society has become complacent in giving away free things allowing parents to be weak and not care about what their children are doing. Society has become the brainwashing machine for the children educating them with beliefs that should never be taught by society, but rather, ethically thinking parents who are involved in the children's lives, not just constantly working, not just constantly not caring about the children.

The parents have become the failure of our society and the educators are driving it home.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.