Daylight saving time

Keep it civil
BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Daylight saving time

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Duh, why wasn't I told about this time changing thing? Is this something new? Thank God I didn't have anything planned for today. :lolfall: I think I need to get another watch and set one for DST and one for the normal time and just change watches twice a year instead of trying to figure out how to reset the time on my watch. :bonk:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Re: Daylight saving time

Post by Tbeck »

Was some talk a while back about ending DLS. Damn shame it didn't happen, I hate it.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

What is it about DST that you hate......it didn't add one second to the day or subtract one second.....

Most if not all of us ride during the daylight hours...some leave earlier than most but I'd dicker to say that 90% of us appreciate that extra added hour during the afternoon hours to get home before dark thirty. I know I do...most if not all of our group rides leave at 9 am......and return anywhere from
5 to 6 pm in the evening hours....In the deep summer months that time frame is extended to 8 pm....Not unless you have to get to work earlier in the dark would be the only grip you'd have...Besides aren't you an hour ahead of us....?

...as far as the other days does it make that much difference???
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

BoDog
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: None anymore

Post by BoDog »

I love it. It allows me to get a lot more done in the evenings after I get off work. [emoji106]

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:What is it about DST that you hate......it didn't add one second to the day or subtract one second.....

Most if not all of us ride during the daylight hours...some leave earlier than most but I'd dicker to say that 90% of us appreciate that extra added hour during the afternoon hours to get home before dark thirty. I know I do...most if not all of our group rides leave at 9 am......and return anywhere from
5 to 6 pm in the evening hours....In the deep summer months that time frame is extended to 8 pm....Not unless you have to get to work earlier in the dark would be the only grip you'd have...Besides aren't you an hour ahead of us....?

BoDog wrote:I love it. It allows me to get a lot more done in the evenings after I get off work. [emoji106]
I'm with you guys.

That extra Hour before..."Dark Thirty"....is a welcome thing. Makes for a more productive day each day whether it's Some More Riding, or other tasks I like to accomplish. Where's the negative that undoes all that?

BTW,....is that Catchy Phrase "Dark Thirty" copyrighted?, :uhh: .......or my I use it without paying Royalties? :bow:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

SJ, my body doesn't like learning new sleep habits, for starters.
I ride a lot after dark so that's no issue for me.
Frankly I don't much care whether they pick DLS or no DLS hours, just quit moving the clock.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

“Some folks as they grow older grow wise,.... but most folks simply grow stubborner."

Josh Billings

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Worked night shift most my life with 3rd the big part of it with a 97 mile round trip.This was when over 30,000 a year on motorcycles was the norm for me. Agree with just leave it one way.The longer day light at end of day my pick but just leave one way fine.Now retired since July 012 does not mean much. We had a big wet ice and snow and no elc for eight hours but most during the night and low 20s so just more blankets and more on. 43 called for today so may be OK roads by then.Lots of tree limbs and lines down around. :putput:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Doesn't matter which way it is, it comes at the time when the days are changing length at their most rapid, so it doesn't stay that way for long.

Depending on where you live you're picking up about 2 - 2.5 mins of daylight every day now.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

My question is, why in the summer?

I need more evening daylight in the winter than I do in the summer.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 03 FXDWG

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

Ever since they invented the electric light daylight doesn't have any effect on how much I get done in a day. DST does make me get up an hour earlier. For no good reason. Days are longer in the summer anyway. If it gets dark at 10:30 or 9:30 doesn't much matter to me.
:evil: [emoji56]

I have a lot of opinions, some of them professional, some of them educated, most of them I just pulled out of my @$$

Some of my best stupidity is largely self-inflicted. :roll:

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

DOES THE SUN SHINE EARLIER TOO ?
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Designer wrote:
Suzuki Johnny wrote:What is it about DST that you hate......it didn't add one second to the day or subtract one second.....

BoDog wrote:I love it. It allows me to get a lot more done in the evenings after I get off work. [emoji106]
I'm with you guys.

That extra Hour before..."Dark Thirty"....is a welcome thing. Makes for a more productive day each day whether it's Some More Riding, or other tasks I like to accomplish. Where's the negative that undoes all that?

BTW,....is that Catchy Phrase "Dark Thirty" copyrighted?, :uhh: .......or my I use it without paying Royalties? :bow:

I've been using that term...."Dark Thirty" for over 50 some odd years now.............I remember my Dad using that term when I was a teenager
Dark thirty was always that 20 minute span between the sun setting and dark in the evening ....
..at least that's when the term was used as I remember it.
Zero dark thirty was complete darkness ............... although the Cajun translation is opération avant l'aube which means before the light (sunrise)
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Tbeck wrote:SJ, my body doesn't like learning new sleep habits, for starters.
I ride a lot after dark so that's no issue for me.
Frankly I don't much care whether they pick DLS or no DLS hours, just quit moving the clock.

You could always move to Arizona ( except on the Navajo Indian reservation ) or Hawaii .... [emoji106]

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

I learned to hate it when I worked in the woods. During the high fire danger times, it quite often cost us work hours.

Back then when the fire danger got high the Forest Service would restrict our work to having to have all equipment shut down and everyone out of the woods, except a fire watch, by noon. We started work before full daylight and the DST cost us an hour, or more, of work time. We normally worked a 10 hr day, hoot owl restrictions cut us to 7 hours or less a day.

When working a job that is only good for 8-10 months out of the year, losing those overtime hours hurt the paycheck.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

Twice a year the time change occurs and twice a year there's a meltdown about it on the internet.

:lmao: :lmao:
-DBTO

KAJUN
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: HARLEY THE BIG MOTHER

Post by KAJUN »

The only ones it doesn't affect is farmers.....sunrise to sunset job......then they installed headlights and a/c on them monster tractors ...
and made it possible to work the ground 24/7/365 [emoji2]
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

MadCow wrote:Twice a year the time change occurs and twice a year there's a meltdown about it on the internet.

:lmao: :lmao:
yeah, and once a year the accident rate for the first week after the time change the accident rate goes up.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Only the white man would cut the end off a blanket sow it on the other end and think he has a lounger blanket

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

FallenAngel wrote:Only the white man would cut the end off a blanket sow it on the other end and think he has a lounger blanket
YES. [emoji2]