Keep it civil
Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

If True,....Interesting......

Post by Designer »

Scientists ‘99%’ Sure That Amelia Earhart’s Body Has Been Found
By Chris Agee March 9, 2018

One of aviation’s most enduring mysteries might be closer to a resolution after the publication of a recent study in the science journal Forensic Anthropology. According to the BBC, University of Tennessee professor and anthropologist Richard Jantz and his team of researchers determined with near certainty that human remains found in 1940 on an island in the Pacific Ocean are the bones of Amelia Earhart.

Three years before the bones were found among debris on the remote island, the groundbreaking female aviator disappeared while flying a trans-Pacific route. She was believed to have been traveling close to Nikumaroro, the island situated southwest of Hawaii where the bones were found, at the time of her disappearance.

Adding to the circumstantial evidence, the British explorers who first discovered the human skull and other human bones on the island also reportedly found a woman’s shoe, a bottle of the brand of liqueur Earhart often took with her on trips and a tool used by the also-missing navigator aboard her plane for the doomed flight.

“There was suspicion at the time that the bones could be the remains of Amelia Earhart,” Jantz wrote.
Shortly after their discovery, however, a researcher shot down rumors that the bones belonged to Earhart by determining that they were the remains of a man.

Jantz has now come to believe that the earlier researcher was simply wrong in his conclusion that the bones came from a man.
“Forensic anthropology was not well developed in the early 20th century,” he wrote.

As CNN reported, Jantz pointed to “many examples of erroneous assessments by anthropologists of the period” in supporting his assertion that Dr. D.W. Hoodless of the Central Medical School in Fiji was incorrect in making the initial determination.

Proving the bones’ origin was a difficult task from the start due to the fact that they have since been lost and cannot be subjected to modern testing. Nevertheless, Jantz used the methods available to determine that Earhart’s remains have been recovered.

By comparing photographs of the pilot and samples of her clothing to the dimensions recorded for the recovered bones, researchers including a “historical seamstress” contributed to the paper’s conclusion that there was an apparent match.

“This analysis reveals that Earhart is more similar to the Nikumaroro bones than 99% of individuals in a large reference sample,” the researchers wrote.

The conclusion was further bolstered by an assertion that the skeletal remains belonged to a European woman of above-average height.
Jantz and his team wrote that the evidence “strongly supports the conclusion that the Nikumaroro bones belonged to Amelia Earhart.”

Barring any “definitive evidence” proving otherwise, the anthropologist wrote that his paper proves “the most convincing argument is that they are hers.”

The research team went into the project with other possibilities in mind regarding the origin of the disputed remains found on the small Pacific island.

Jantz specifically investigated claims that the bones could belong to either a native or a crew member from a 1929 shipwreck.

After considering all the evidence, Jantz wrote that Earhart is “the only documented person” to whom the bones could belong.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Re: If True,....Interesting......

Post by JFL Live »

That's weird... I just saw her on Star Trek Voyager the other night.

_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

I guess this means she did not survive? :confused: I’ve held out hope for so long, bummer. Actually thought I saw her with Elvis not so long ago. This is so sad.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

It's an interesting theory but without the bones it's simply conjecture.
Hopefully the bones will be recovered at some point

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Without positive proof it is just speculation................Did the technology exist in 1940 to preserve the found bones in question???
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

SJ, yes it existed but evidently they misplaced the bones and skull. One can only hope that they are in someone's research collection and they'll resurface.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

True, it might be considered 'conjecture' [space] However, the circumstantial evidences are quite unique to being her:

Adding to the circumstantial evidence, the British explorers who first discovered the human skull and other human bones on the island also reportedly found a woman’s shoe, a bottle of the brand of liqueur Earhart often took with her on trips and a tool used by the also-missing navigator aboard her plane for the doomed flight.

And then there's this about the past assessments by anthropologists:

Jantz has now come to believe that the earlier researcher was simply wrong in his conclusion that the bones came from a man.
“Forensic anthropology was not well developed in the early 20th century,” he wrote.

As CNN reported, Jantz pointed to “many examples of erroneous assessments by anthropologists of the period” in supporting his assertion that Dr. D.W. Hoodless of the Central Medical School in Fiji was incorrect in making the initial determination.

And that using Modern, More up-to-date forensics that have been proven successfully correct recently show this:

Nevertheless, Jantz used the methods available to determine that Earhart’s remains have been recovered.

By comparing photographs of the pilot and samples of her clothing to the dimensions recorded for the recovered bones, researchers including a “historical seamstress” contributed to the paper’s conclusion that there was an apparent match.

“This analysis reveals that Earhart is more similar to the Nikumaroro bones than 99% of individuals in a large reference sample,” the researchers wrote

Then there is this from an article that discussed the Computer Modeling Jantz used on the bones:

All of the evidence we’re going to discuss is circumstantial. The strength of the argument is that there is an absolutely mind-boggling amount of circumstantial evidence: multiple reports from settlers and navy personnel of recent habitation, including one such report from the navy pilot who overflew Gardner Island in the week following Earhart’s crash. A body recovered from the island (along with American shoes) in the 1930s, before being lost in World War 2. Photographs of what appears to be airplane wreckage. Villagers and one-time settlers who report seeing and even using bits of metal and material that would match said airplane wreckage. The discovery of a water catchment system in 1944 that could’ve been built using materials carried aboard Earhart’s Electra.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

She's my 8th cousin....

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

He may very well be correct BUT as is pointed out SEVERAL times it's circumstantial evidence based off NOT having the actual evidence to work from. A picture of bones, picture of a tool, picture of a bottle...and evidently none of the items preserved for future study? Wouldn't be the first time a reputable, even famous anthropologist faked a find.
It would be nice if the artifacts were to surface and the findings supported. Until that time it's a crap shoot.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

jonnycando wrote:She's my 8th cousin....

Wow!,..really? When did you learn of this?

Did you do a Family Tree/History or something?

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

Designer wrote:
jonnycando wrote:She's my 8th cousin....

Wow!,..really? When did you learn of this?

Did you do a Family Tree/History or something?
I've known it all my life...my mother's side of the family were Earhart's...actually Amelia's family came over long before others did. My great Grandmother was born in Sweden and grew up in South Africa before coming to America...but she had known of the distant relationship. I am 20% Swedish and 20% Irish, and the rest is pretty much Scots and British.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

I watched a helicopter flyover of that island today, carried out and narrated by Jantz.

Interesting place, were you to have to put a plane down there. Not much in the way of uncluttered ground to carry it out on. A typical ring-shaped atoll with a shallow central lagoon.

They speculate that she would have set down on the south-eastern end during low tide when there is a pretty broad and significant shelf of sandy beach extending out several hundred feet from the average shoreline...but I don't know, it looked like it might have lots of irregularities that could wreck a plane easily.

They are speculating they put it down near noon, I guess based on flight time from their last known position. That would coincide with that low tide, yeah. And that shelf of sand drops off into the deep abruptly, it's easy to envision the waves hauling the aircraft back to sea and down to the depths.

Wave action gets pretty intense on that side of the island, there were blocks of stone in one area that had been pulled off the shelf face and deposited onto the low tide sandy area, some the size of a small car. So easily enough to move a small aircraft anywhere it wanted to.

That's what someone needs to do, troll the bottom of that ridge with a magnetometer, if nothing else those radial engines are nice big hunks of ferrous metal that will stand out down there.

I'm sure that costs like money and stuff though :donno:

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

JFL Live wrote: That's weird... I just saw her on Star Trek Voyager the other night.

That was a good episode.

jonnycando wrote: She's my 8th cousin...
Cool.

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

Cuban wrote:
That was a good episode.
Agreed, love that one!
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

To this layman its just a Theory .... :putput: