No matter how old you get, you're a kid

Keep it civil
BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

No matter how old you get, you're a kid

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

at heart. The reason I say "no matter how old you get" is because the only people I ever see at this place are older people that go there to watch the ships on the Kiel canal in Germany or trucks that park for the night. The last time it snowed there the snow stayed around for one day and it was about like it is now or maybe a little more. :soda:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: No matter how old you get, you're a kid

And a pic of the same spot today.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

That's a tall ass bridge.....gotsta be cause of ocean going ships... [emoji106]

What got your interest up in this particular bridge / site in the first place John ?

Moved a trailer on site too eh
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

The trailer is just an overnighter. That equipment you see on the left side of the pic has been there for over a week. I thought it was there to fix a low spot in the parking lot as it holds water after it rains as you can see in the pic and they hold festivals there 2 or 3 times a year. I got to watching this site because of the ships that go by. The Kiel Canal (Nord-Ostsee-Kanal) is the world's busiest artificial waterway from Brunsbüttel to Kiel in Schleswig-Holstein. The canal is a 98-kilometre long freshwater canal in the German state of Schleswig-Holstein. The canal was finished in 1895, but later widened, and links the North Sea at Brunsbüttel to the Baltic Sea at Kiel-Holtenau. An average of 250 nautical miles (460 km) is saved by using the Kiel Canal instead of going around.

Ever once in a while a cruise ship will pass under the railroad bridge, but before it does it has to lower it's smoke stack and it is the only big cruise ship that can go under the bridge. I see ships registered in different countrys sailing on the canal. A few are registered in the Bahamas and Crypris and a few other tropical countrys. It is strange to see them in Germany during the winter months.

There used to be a ferry that was hooked up underthe bridge and would ferry a few cars a time across the canal. But since they started working on refurbishing the bridge they took the ferry off the swing that held it up. That was interesting to watch as the ferry had to wait for the ships to pass by before it could take the cars across. [emoji106]